Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whats with these super low tides??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluffer
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Whats with these super low tides?? Reply with quote

understand we are under the full-moon phase this week but i always thought full moon = higher tides?

Went out last night (wed) around 830pm till midnight. Water was low when we got there (oso)
Then rest of night it was ripping hard current going out (toward CC bay)
By 10pm it was getting so shallow was basically unfishable! Called it a night around 1130.

Still off, I decided to hit Packery Flats for a afternoon bite this afternoon.
Rule of thumb, full moon, afternnon bite, also nightime.
Got over there around 3pm to see still shallow water, Slow tide running out to the Gulf. Bait super small so fished cut at corner with gulps, & spoons.
Was so shallow could hardly run a Yak thru there.

I know its not up very high early also. Are we on the wrong side of the world for this cycle/ gravatational pull?

Gonna try Fri night for full moon fishing again but if no shift from last 2 days pattern it will suck & be super low again!
robul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to a few feeding charts major feed is 9 am tommorow.. Ill be on the water at 5 am full moon or not.. Tides down may not make it to a few places id like to but hopefully some fish will still be hungry.. update tommorw with report..
ironmanstan
Exalted Ruler of Flour Bluff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Robul u gonna use a boat or just walk out there... Very Happy Me and the wife went over the jfk yesterday the tide is way out its been awhile since i've seen so much land sticking out of the water. Time to go get some reds. They like that shallow hot water. I have to work ths weekend hope Robul tears them up.
HighTide
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've asked the gurus at A&M why that is the case and they have responded to me with their stock answer. They remind me that the lunar effects are minimal to the tides. They don't affect the tide more the a few inches up and down. They are quick to point out other factors that could affect the tides more the the moon by itself, such as the wind. I know, it doesn't make sense to me either because I don't see where the wind is causing this. A low pressure area in another region can suck in a high tide there and therefore cause a low tide in our area. That makes more sense because there is a borderline tropical storm in the Atlantic right now. If anybody out there knows the reason, please chime in.

If changes in barometric pressure cause your joints to hurt, do pilots and divers have a lot of joint pain?
Bayslammer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a scientist from a big university, just a broke fisherman, but I do read a little (and spend alot of time on the water) and the information you recieved is right on. Note that tide and water circulation in the Laguna Madre is most frequently controlled by wind. The Upper Laguna Madre historically has higher water levels in the spring, and is at its lowest levels in the winter and mid-summer. The strong southeast winds we recieve in the spring pile water into the Lagoon. Actually, the wind will pile water up on one or another of the Lagoon sides depending on direction, thus influencing water levels (and location of that pesky dead sea grass).

First of all I want to point out that observations of water levels in the above posts were made near cuts, channels, and near the pass. Remember that astronomical tidal influence is strongest near tidal passes. Depending on the current diurnal high or low tide, tidal exchange would either be coming in or going out, and strongest near the few passes available. Astronomical tides are very weak throughout most of the ULM, due to attenuation, with the exception of the areas described in the earlier posts. Check noaa.gov for water levels, I check it everyday and it is very accurate. Most importantly, it helps me decide where I am going to fish much of the time.

Currently.......my obervation of the water levels at the weather station at Point of Rocks indicated the water level actually above mean tide (13.5). I know that's Baffin, but it explains the current astronomical tide influence near the Packery, Oso and Humble channels. I conclude from that reading that the current levels in the N. Laguna are being caused by lack of wind, a strong astronomical influence and possibly the tropics. Have a great weekend and I will see you on the water!

Last edited by Bayslammer on Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:27 am; edited 2 times in total
mastergunner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't sleep at a holiday inn express last night but the tides could be low due to the moon and the sun being 180 degrees apart, on oppisite sides of the earth pulling water oppisite ways.
ironmanstan
Exalted Ruler of Flour Bluff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the slammer said........in other words.... just deal with it. Very Happy If you run aground, just rememeber not to go that way during low tide.
IslandMike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always viewed the lower tides as a good thing. The fish don't have as many places to go. That being said, I do have spots I make it a point to fish in really high tides and it sucks when the water isn't there.
Bayslammer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redfish stack up the deep potholes adjacent to shallow flats when the tide goes way out. Flounder also like the same holes and especially edges of guts coming off the same flats. Lately, I've been catching alot of flounder in these areas on small paddletails. So far, the full moon and tides have not shut the trout bite down. In my opinion, fishing during the full moon is always better....sometimes just a later bite.
Flyfisher
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluffer, I would have tried the CC Bay side of the Oso with the tide going out that fast. Depending on how strong the current was, starting about 200 yards out from the mouth and slowly working my way up closer until I found the fish. The stronger the current the further out the predators would be found.

Ray
Bluffer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info guys on this. Either way its something that you cannot control.
Heading out tonight around 9 till ? Will post up report tomorrow.
chuck

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it gives me an oportunity to learn the bottom structure a little better.

but the tide isn't all that low off laguna shores, looks real nice today.
Bud
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The water level is lower because Obama and Algore are working to reduce global warming, and the polar ice caps are freezing back up.

Politics is a wonderful thing.
Flyfisher
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud wrote:
The water level is lower because Obama and Algore are working to reduce global warming, and the polar ice caps are freezing back up.

Politics is a wonderful thing.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Rudy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read these articles to the end and you'll have a better understanding...

http://www.co-ops.nos.noaa.gov/restles1.html

Or be even more confused.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: