Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Catching Croaker for Bait
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Ed
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dink,
Are you sure they were croaker? We have filled a live well with them before only to be told that we had what one of guides called "yellowtail".
They are very similar to small croaker and can fill up the surf during the summer. Have never had much luck with using them as bait. Also, they are even more delicate than croaker when you ry to keep them alive.

"A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need advice.", Bill Cosby
Dink
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This were croaker... They made plenty of noise... Shiny!
HighTide
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surffan: Were you using one of those multiple 10 hook rigs where each one looks like a fly? Let us know if that works for you again.

Dink: That's an amazing story. Let us know if it works for you again too.

porkfetus: No, I'm not kidding.

If changes in barometric pressure cause your joints to hurt, do pilots and divers have a lot of joint pain?
surffan
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="carlosh"]Surffan: Were you using one of those multiple 10 hook rigs where each one looks like a fly? Let us know if that works for you again.

Yes I was. Always have 1 or 2 Sabikis with me. They do not always work where I fish but sometimes they do when nothing else does as far as catching bait. First time I ever tried the FishBite tipping. Sabakis are cheap which is good, I only get one or two uses/days/trips with one before it is a tangled useless mess. Will try it again.
JLKing
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlosh wrote:

JLKing: I own a canal front home on Mutiny Ct. What canal do you catch Croaker in? The canal in my area is about 6' at the edge and goes to 14' quickly. Is that a reasonable area for dropping a bait trap?

I think somebody already asked this, but what do you bait the trap with? I'm assuming the bait traps you guys are referring to are the torpedo shaped cylinder about 16" long with holes at each end?

El Soccorro canal.

I said we catch them on rod and reel with gulps on small trebles and bobbers, not in traps. My 4 year old likes to fish behind the house and the gulps keep her busy with perch and an occasional croaker, among other things..

I've never caught a croaker in a trap that I recall. I trap piggies and pins sometimes for trips down PINS.

If I'm fishing the bays, it's artificials.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: