Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

You think TX trout is an issue - THE red snapper says......
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodandroll
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Central Scrutinizer wrote:
In a nutshell, "What it is is what it is". Each State sets their own size/slot/bag limit for things not regulated at the Federal level.

TX was 10 per day forever, and it got pushed down to 5, then the freezes / other problems has led to the data saying 3 is likely the maximum sustainable yield number, with the current slot and the allowance for 1 over the maximum size.

Jump over a State, and LA used to be 25, with a minimum size of 12", Shocked and yes, fish swim across the Sabine and don't honor state boundaries. Now their data say 15 per day with a minimum size of 13" and slotted at 20", with 2 per day oversized

Mississippi has 15 per day and 15", no upper limit

Alabama has 6 per day, slotted at 15-20", one per day oversized.

I can assure you each State has a robust sampling program and vetted assessment models, that don't have some commie b@stard pinko enviro-turd behind the curtain turning all the knobs. I'm familiar with all the players, and while I won't say that CCA (or other environmental groups who are even more radical) don't have many Legislators ears, each State relies on their data to make those decisions.
CS

Full Disclosure - I represent the State of TX on a nation-wide Climate Change Adaptation Board, and it's quite ironic that I don't believe in Global/Climate ________ you, you know the thing!!!!

Totally agree with your last sentence. If you actually look at the earths history what we have done and are doing doesn't amount to a pimple on an ants butt.

On the other comment, are saying the "data" in other states is so different that it justifies the huge difference in limits? Honestly, that's awful hard to swallow.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... but it can muffle the sound!!!
Central Scrutinizer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't just look at the limits, as you can't ignore the 800 pound gorilla in the room. The Mississippi River provides a bevy of nutrients into the Gulf, and it's no surprise States on either side have higher limits. And factor into the wealth of other factors unique to each State, and their data suggests the MSY level. Tell a MS or AL fisherman your looking for 31 in trout, and see their reaction.

I'm not a fan of the 3 fish limit either, and one need not attend a scoping meeting in person to get your opposition on the record.
rodandroll

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't just look at the limits, as you can't ignore the 800 pound gorilla in the room. The Mississippi River provides a bevy of nutrients into the Gulf, and it's no surprise States on either side have higher limits. And factor into the wealth of other factors unique to each State, and their data suggests the MSY level. Tell a MS or AL fisherman your looking for 31 in trout, and see their reaction.

I'm not a fan of the 3 fish limit either, and one need not attend a scoping meeting in person to get your opposition on the record.

Actually you are starting to give me answers to the questions I have. If it is actually based on real data, and the data is significantly different from state to state, then I don't disagree that you have to base your conclusions on the real data. The problem up until now was that no one wanted to answer the actual question I repeatedly asked, that being WHY the stark difference. Although, you must realize that we are one of the states on one side of the Mississippi.

I am not a fan of the 3 limit either, but I think an additional factor is the pressure from rich elitists like the CCA who definitely think that 31 in trout is the only reason to have a fishery. Personally I have never thought a 31 in trout is that big of a deal. I just want to catch a reasonable number of fish or the cost of the trip isn't worth it. I often wonder if discouraging fishermen from other parts of the state is a part of the limit settings. I have seen that attitude in some of the rather violent and hate filled responses to my posts.

I still think an annual limit per fisherman would really be the way to go. A daily bag limit is unfair to fishermen who don't live near the fishery. That way I have my so many fish per year and so do those who live on the coast. If I can get down and catch them that's great, but if not then that's my problem I was given the opportunity and didn't avail myself of it.

Either that, or we change the structure for deer and other types of hunting to the fishery limit system. That way, where I live, I can shoot 2 or 3 deer a day if I want. That makes me even with the fisheries structure.

Central Scrutinizer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodandroll wrote:
... then I don't disagree that you have to base your conclusions on the real data. .... Although, you must realize that we are one of the states on one side of the Mississippi.

Just look at the stark differences in trout "numbers" as you go from Sabine, through Galveston, and down to Matagorda. You see just what that river does. There's good reason the pogy fishing fleet is centered around there the river flows.

rodandroll wrote:
... additional factor is the pressure from rich elitists like the CCA who definitely think that 31 in trout is the only reason to have a fishery. ..... I still think an annual limit per fisherman would really be the way to go. A daily bag limit is unfair to fishermen who don't live near the fishery.

You'll get no argument from me about CCA, and they do have their influence, more-so in some States than others.

But now you've swerved into Law Enforcement issues, [changing possession limits, and an 'annual quota' sounds an awful lot like the 'Individual Fishing Quota' (IFQ) that some Commercial stocks operate under], and if I understand your thinking up to this point, about your opposition to guides benefiting off a public resource, an IFQ for trout would make you head explode!!! Now, fishing shares (especially for red snapper) go to the highest bidder, and there are numbers shareholders that aren't even fishermen, they simply sub-lease them out for profit.
rodandroll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a nutshell, "What it is is what it is". Each State sets their own size/slot/bag limit for things not regulated at the Federal level.

TX was 10 per day forever, and it got pushed down to 5, then the freezes / other problems has led to the data saying 3 is likely the maximum sustainable yield number, with the current slot and the allowance for 1 over the maximum size.

Jump over a State, and LA used to be 25, with a minimum size of 12", Shocked and yes, fish swim across the Sabine and don't honor state boundaries. Now their data say 15 per day with a minimum size of 13" and slotted at 20", with 2 per day oversized

Mississippi has 15 per day and 15", no upper limit

Alabama has 6 per day, slotted at 15-20", one per day oversized.

I can assure you each State has a robust sampling program and vetted assessment models, that don't have some commie b@stard pinko enviro-turd behind the curtain turning all the knobs. I'm familiar with all the players, and while I won't say that CCA (or other environmental groups who are even more radical) don't have many Legislators ears, each State relies on their data to make those decisions.
CS

Full Disclosure - I represent the State of TX on a nation-wide Climate Change Adaptation Board, and it's quite ironic that I don't believe in Global/Climate ________ you, you know the thing!!!!

I still believe there are a lot of commie b@stard pinko enviro-turds behind the curtain turning all the knobs and pulling the strings. Saw it too many times in my 42 years practicing law. But, I will give credit where credit is due. You are one hell of a politician and unfortunately today that's what it takes to survive in the commie b@stard pinko enviro-turd governmental world. Soldier On!!

Central Scrutinizer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodandroll wrote:
.. You are one hell of a politician and unfortunately today that's what it takes to survive in the commie b@stard pinko enviro-turd governmental world. Soldier On!!

I'm One OLD 11-Bravo, US Army, so Thank You! Cool
rodandroll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodandroll wrote:
.. You are one hell of a politician and unfortunately today that's what it takes to survive in the commie b@stard pinko enviro-turd governmental world. Soldier On!!

I'm One OLD 11-Bravo, US Army, so Thank You! Cool

US Navy Tin Can (Destroyer) for me. 'TIP OF THE SPEAR"!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: