Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

You think TX trout is an issue - THE red snapper says......
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Central Scrutinizer
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject: You think TX trout is an issue - THE red snapper says...... Reply with quote

Here, Hold My Beer. Shocked Shocked

2 years into the Research Track Assessment of red snapper, splitting out the stock into biological/ecological/growth rate/exploitation rate/maximum longevity/etc.... and a whole host of other stock assessment parameters, the Review Workshop was held in Tampa last Tuesday-Friday. In normal situations, the 'model' gets the final thumbs up by the independent reviewers, and immediately it's rolled into the Operation Assessment for catch advice going to the Council.

Bada Boom, Bada Bing - 18 months later the Council votes on the recommended Management Advice, and the States can now set their seasons under the approved catch limits (with the trends going up, and up, and up).

WELL,....... this was no 'normal situation'. The Center for Independent Experts basically said - the 3 stock model, throw it out, a bunch of data assumptions are without merit, throw them out, taking into account the Great Red Snapper Count, throw it out......

The Assessment was not recommended to go forward! Doesn't happen often, so it's not totally unheard of. But with this being THE red snapper, it was quite the shock to the system.

Going forward, it's back to a Benchmark Assessment, which is likely a 2+(+) more year process, just to get back to the Operational to get Catch Advice to the Council (18 months later, at a BARE minimum).

So, every state is left with - what you got now, is what you got moving forward, until new catch advice comes out - DESPITE the data clearly showing the Western Gulf is completely rebuilt, and the issues in the Northeast FL panhandle will again get swept under the rug with a 2 stock model.

So trout fishermens that are outraged at the local control, these same frustrations are felt Gulf-Wide.
CS
awesum
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting ...
Rebecca of Sunnybrookfarm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: You think TX trout is an issue - THE red snapper says... Reply with quote

Central Scrutinizer wrote:
the data clearly showing the Western Gulf is completely rebuilt, and the issues in the Northeast FL panhandle will again get swept under the rug with a 2 stock model.
CS

they....just....CAN'T.....let....it....go....

we continue to get punished for having more of THE red snapper over here than the eastern gulf....

I suppose we could make a huge stink about red grouper? use Texas numbers to set the ACL gulf wide? THAT would raise some hackles, and maybe expose their flawed logic about ARS?

this is why I quit doing SEDAR's and participating in that management years ago; the game is rigged...
becky

ziacatcher wrote:
However I bet if you were fishing naked Ranger Rick would have a problem with that
Central Scrutinizer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: You think TX trout is an issue - THE red snapper says... Reply with quote

Rebecca of Sunnybrookfarm wrote:
I suppose we could make a huge stink about red grouper? use Texas numbers to set the ACL gulf wide?

I like your logic!!! We do have a State Record for Red Grouper landed in Texas, so they can be caught,.... so why not?

And as luck would have it, Red Grouper are on the yearly Interim Analysis check-up list, so the gauntlet could be thrown down. Razz Razz Razz
Rebecca of Sunnybrookfarm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: You think TX trout is an issue - THE red snapper says... Reply with quote

Rebecca of Sunnybrookfarm wrote:
I suppose we could make a huge stink about red grouper? use Texas numbers to set the ACL gulf wide?

I like your logic!!! We do have a State Record for Red Grouper landed in Texas, so they can be caught,.... so why not?

And as luck would have it, Red Grouper are on the yearly Interim Analysis check-up list, so the gauntlet could be thrown down. Razz Razz Razz

that's what I"m saying....only IF we had a stronger rep to the GC would that be possible, but we have who we have....(and I'm talking about the TPWD rep, not our favorite feisty shark girl from HRI - she gets it)

need to get David more involved in that aspect? how's our man from HRI doing at the top so far?
becky

ziacatcher wrote:
However I bet if you were fishing naked Ranger Rick would have a problem with that
rodandroll

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well hell, I agree with Central, and for once at least I agree with Sunnie. Effectively what you guys are saying is that we are "Getting the Shaft Again" Problem is the squeaky wheel radical activist lefties today get all the grease. Most of the standard fishermen today just sit back and take whatever is thrown at them.

What do you think might happen if the regular fishsermen got in your face active with the Feds and TPWD. I talking protests with news people present at meetings of these govt. groups. Raising hell with politicians. Screaming and squalling to the high heavens just like the radical activist lefties do. A biologist who is pushing an obvious personal agenda gets his azz targeted and fired. I would be willing to bet that you would see some change in the attitude of these sewer bureaucrats. But alas, regular folks like most of those who traffic this site just don't have the huevos to get loud and proud. And, this is exactly what it is going to take to get things changed.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... but it can muffle the sound!!!
Central Scrutinizer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, every Council/SSC/SEDAR/TPWD Commission/Scoping/etc. etc. etc. meeting are open to the public, and have a 'Public Comment' period in the agenda. There are numerous commercial fishermen and an occasional recreational/guide that attend SSC meetings. Their input is highly valued by the panels, and believe it or not, they are listened to. If you got a beef, show up and let it be known.

And in that same vein, the biggest 'Data Deficiency' at any level is recreational catch/effort and catch&release mortality. Commercial catch can be tracked from the boat-to the dealer-to the retailer, and the data is nearly perfect. Many commercial vessels have on-board observers, and now some have video systems that allow for estimation of releases and even size distributions of what goes back. Some charters also allow on-board observes, but with the 6-pack limit, it's not as wide-spread. Good data can also be found in the Headboat fleet.

The biggest unknown is the effort level of the recreational side. Only public launches are surveyed for what comes back to the dock. If a boat comes back to a private dock, there is no way to get at the removal data, nor gauge the effort level. Zero information is collected about the releases. And its all voluntary, so when you brush off the dockside sampler, zero data is available.

That's why effort was originally estimated by the Coastal Telephone Household Survey, that morphed into the MRIP estimation once everybody went to cell phones, and now it's the Federal Effort Estimation (FES) where those 'guess factors' come from.

Point being, when you wave away a sampler, the guess factor gets less and less precise. Participation from the dockside to the Commission/Council level is up to the end-user (i.e., regular fisherman). If you don't like the data, it's not because there is some commie b@stard pinko enviro-turd pushing an agenda. Math rules at the stock assessment level, and the math is only as good at what the model gets fed.
rodandroll

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, every Council/SSC/SEDAR/TPWD Commission/Scoping/etc. etc. etc. meeting are open to the public, and have a 'Public Comment' period in the agenda. There are numerous commercial fishermen and an occasional recreational/guide that attend SSC meetings. Their input is highly valued by the panels, and believe it or not, they are listened to. If you got a beef, show up and let it be known.

And in that same vein, the biggest 'Data Deficiency' at any level is recreational catch/effort and catch&release mortality. Commercial catch can be tracked from the boat-to the dealer-to the retailer, and the data is nearly perfect. Many commercial vessels have on-board observers, and now some have video systems that allow for estimation of releases and even size distributions of what goes back. Some charters also allow on-board observes, but with the 6-pack limit, it's not as wide-spread. Good data can also be found in the Headboat fleet.

The biggest unknown is the effort level of the recreational side. Only public launches are surveyed for what comes back to the dock. If a boat comes back to a private dock, there is no way to get at the removal data, nor gauge the effort level. Zero information is collected about the releases. And its all voluntary, so when you brush off the dockside sampler, zero data is available.

That's why effort was originally estimated by the Coastal Telephone Household Survey, that morphed into the MRIP estimation once everybody went to cell phones, and now it's the Federal Effort Estimation (FES) where those 'guess factors' come from.

Point being, when you wave away a sampler, the guess factor gets less and less precise. Participation from the dockside to the Commission/Council level is up to the end-user (i.e., regular fisherman). If you don't like the data, it's not because there is some commie b@stard pinko enviro-turd pushing an agenda. Math rules at the stock assessment level, and the math is only as good at what the model gets fed.

I have already explained why the "meetings" are rigged so that only people who live near the cost can attend without unnecessary cost, time, and trouble. If you will get them to start having them all over the state instead of their commie b@stard pinko enviro-turd selected sites I will make every effort to attend one or more. In the meantime I am a Texas taxpayer and I have the right to raise all the hell I desire about this issue. I have never read a rule or law anywhere that states that in order to express my opinion I have to attend a "meeting". The attend a meeting argument is totally bogus.

I hear everything you are saying, but at the end of the day, yeah, I absolutely believe that this whole thing is being pushed by a whole bunch of commie b@stard pinko enviro-turds pushing an agenda. And they can make your "data" say anything they want it to. The world is full of examples of that.

I.E., the demcraps claiming inflation is coming down. Truth is they cause inflation to go up 9 points and when it comes down to 6 they jump on their high horse and try to claim credit for "bringing inflation down". Well guess what it is still up the 6 points they caused. Just a bunch of manipulation and lies to get the lemmings to follow them over the cliff.

Seems Texas and Louisiana are close on the red snapper limits issue but extremely far apart on the trout issue. Any idea why?? Apparently Sunnie has no idea or knows I am right. Yeah, I still absolutely believe that this whole thing is being pushed by a whole bunch of commie b@stard pinko enviro-turds pushing an agenda.

Central Scrutinizer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Public Comments submitted on-line are usually taken also, the only hiccup is for the SEDAR Review, you physically have to be in person. So, 95% of the time, if you have a beef, you can be heard.

I can not argue against your 'inflation coming down' example. I tell people it's like you're a fat b@stard that recently put on an additional 100+ lbs, and then when you drop 10 or 15 lbs, and you scream 'Look How Well My Diet is Working"!!!! I get it, the data can be manipulated to ones agenda (think The N@ppy-Headed little Press Secretary in the current Administration).

rodandroll wrote:
Seems Texas and Louisiana are close on the red snapper limits issue but extremely far apart on the trout issue. Any idea why?? Apparently Sunnie has no idea or knows I am right. Yeah, I still absolutely believe that this whole thing is being pushed by a whole bunch of commie b@stard pinko enviro-turds pushing an agenda.

I had personal conversations with the LA folks that were moving the bag limit reduction issue forward, and I can ASSURE YOU, they are not 'commie b@stard pinko enviro-turds'. Believe it or not, it's totally data-driven, based on sampling at creel survey sites over many, many years.

If you tell an average LA fisherman that you can catch a 29-32" trout, they will look at you like you have a 3rd eye in the middle of your head! The 25 fish limit / 12 " minimum size was justified by their stocks, but they have come to the realization the the same 'pressures that TX has faced in recent years" are also operating in LA - increased pressure/effort - freezes - the #'s of folks actually catching a daily bag - etc...

You are right to be upset, as a TX resident, but you're certainly not shut out of the loop.
rodandroll

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Public Comments submitted on-line are usually taken also, the only hiccup is for the SEDAR Review, you physically have to be in person. So, 95% of the time, if you have a beef, you can be heard.

I can not argue against your 'inflation coming down' example. I tell people it's like you're a fat b@stard that recently put on an additional 100+ lbs, and then when you drop 10 or 15 lbs, and you scream 'Look How Well My Diet is Working"!!!! I get it, the data can be manipulated to ones agenda (think The N@ppy-Headed little Press Secretary in the current Administration).

rodandroll wrote:

I had personal conversations with the LA folks that were moving the bag limit reduction issue forward, and I can ASSURE YOU, they are not 'commie b@stard pinko enviro-turds'. Believe it or not, it's totally data-driven, based on sampling at creel survey sites over many, many years.

If you tell an average LA fisherman that you can catch a 29-32" trout, they will look at you like you have a 3rd eye in the middle of your head! The 25 fish limit / 12 " minimum size was justified by their stocks, but they have come to the realization the the same 'pressures that TX has faced in recent years" are also operating in LA - increased pressure/effort - freezes - the #'s of folks actually catching a daily bag - etc...

You are right to be upset, as a TX resident, but you're certainly not shut out of the loop.

Interesting. Are you saying the Texas limits are being managed for the rich who want to catch a trophy trout rather that the public fisherman in general. Hardly seems fair and is really telling about the fox being in the hen house. But I still think it goes right along with the commie b@stard pinko enviro-turds. Remember the enemy of my enemy (public fisherman) is my friend.

And no I don't a problem with a 15 fish limit, but I do have a problem with a 3 fish limit as it obviously favors a select group of people and additionally goes right along with the commie b@stard pinko enviro-turd agenda. It is just screwing the regular public fisherman.

And, by the way, thanks for the term "commie b@stard pinko enviro-turd". I LOVE it and will use it with vigor in remembrance of you.

Central Scrutinizer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodandroll wrote:
And, by the way, thanks for the term "commie b@stard pinko enviro-turd". I LOVE it and will use it with vigor in remembrance of you.

And that's what I appreciates about you!
rodandroll

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodandroll wrote:

And that's what I appreciates about you!

No sure I understand exactly what you mean, but you do realize that I am significantly more edumacated than most don't you. Oh yeah you need to find a silver haired guy.

And, just for grins did you know Oliver Anthony premiered and the Grand Ole Opery recently. Just thought you would like to know since he kinda looks like this guy.

Central Scrutinizer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's Squirrley Dan, from the comedy show 'Letterkenny'.
He's famous for pluralizing words, especially the phrase 'and that's what I appreciates about you'.

I've never doubted your intellect. I'm just here to provide inside baseball knowledge about fishery issues.
rodandroll

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's Squirrley Dan, from the comedy show 'Letterkenny'.
He's famous for pluralizing words, especially the phrase 'and that's what I appreciates about you'.

I've never doubted your intellect. I'm just here to provide inside baseball knowledge about fishery issues.

Never seen it. But, I like the phrase and will now add it to my repertoire. I still like commie b@stard pinko enviro-turd best however. Probably should add radical leftist terrorist in there somewhere.

Now for some inside baseball knowledge about fishery issues. Can you explain and justify the la 15 l;imit vs the Tx 3 limit. No one seems to be able to or they just don't want to. I just want an honest answer to the question, but I fear it is all politics and points towards the rich elitists in the CCA.

Central Scrutinizer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a nutshell, "What it is is what it is". Each State sets their own size/slot/bag limit for things not regulated at the Federal level.

TX was 10 per day forever, and it got pushed down to 5, then the freezes / other problems has led to the data saying 3 is likely the maximum sustainable yield number, with the current slot and the allowance for 1 over the maximum size.

Jump over a State, and LA used to be 25, with a minimum size of 12", Shocked and yes, fish swim across the Sabine and don't honor state boundaries. Now their data say 15 per day with a minimum size of 13" and slotted at 20", with 2 per day oversized

Mississippi has 15 per day and 15", no upper limit

Alabama has 6 per day, slotted at 15-20", one per day oversized.

I can assure you each State has a robust sampling program and vetted assessment models, that don't have some commie b@stard pinko enviro-turd behind the curtain turning all the knobs. I'm familiar with all the players, and while I won't say that CCA (or other environmental groups who are even more radical) don't have many Legislators ears, each State relies on their data to make those decisions.
CS

Full Disclosure - I represent the State of TX on a nation-wide Climate Change Adaptation Board, and it's quite ironic that I don't believe in Global/Climate ________ you, you know the thing!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: