Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saturday morning and high barometric pressure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prof. Salt
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:52 am    Post subject: Saturday morning and high barometric pressure Reply with quote

Saturday was clear and high pressure, but I had a chance to paddle so I was out looking for reds as it got light. Four miles from my truck it began to get light and I was in a good area watching carefully. As I passed a cul-de-sac there was a big movement towards the back of it that caught my attention. I turned in and slowly approached. In the early light it took me a moment to see it, but there was a huge red crawling in 3 inches of water and it had just slammed a mullet to get my attention. I slowly paddled to within 20 feet and flicked the Trick Shot past and ahead of the fish. One slow drag past the fish was all that it took, and in a noisy slurp the line went tight and the fight was on. The fish dragged me all over the little lake and spooked a few other reds before coming to the kayak. It was about 36" and way too big to even break out the measuring board. I took a photo and let her go to take up the search again for the next fish.

As the sun rose it was clear that this would be a slow morning. Not a cloud in the skies and winds were flat, so the fish I did encounter were spooky. Eventually I had the fly rod laid out and found a few fish quietly and slowly working a shoreline beside some birds. I approached and casted a shrimp fly near the front edge of the visible fish. It was immediately eaten, but the entire school broke up and headed into deeper water. Oh well, I was glad to have a solid mid-slot fish in the bag.

A mile later I found another school working a deep grass edge. They were heading to a hard corner that the fish would hit before I could get within range. I have learned to just slow down and watch them make the corner first, before approaching. I pulled in behind the fish and saw a large back out of the water. I put the fly ahead of the target and it lurched ahead, tightening the line. Woohoo, red number two! I searched hard for a third fish, and on one corner I spotted a tail working the edge. I eased to within 15 feet and placed the fly beside the fish's head but (barely) in the grass. A gentle flick brought the fly into the water 6 inches in front of the fish, but instead of eating it the fish bolted. Oh well, that's fishing and I had two on ice, so I went home happy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: