Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bayside Boat Ramp Question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hickroots07
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Bayside Boat Ramp Question Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the boat ramp in Bayside is usable? It looks extremely shallow and silted in on Google earth. I have a 18ft shallow sport and was looking to try a new area tomorrow. Just looking for some recent info before I full send it onto a sand bar.
Johninaustin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told it's a kayak launch, but that was a couple of years ago.

There is a ramp on the other side of the bridge, (Goose Island) no clue on that one though I have seen airboats use it.

There was something in the news a few years back where TPWD was going to rebuild it but I have no idea if that ever occurred.
hickroots07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johninaustin wrote:
I've been told it's a kayak launch, but that was a couple of years ago.

There is a ramp on the other side of the bridge, (Goose Island) no clue on that one though I have seen airboats use it.

There was something in the news a few years back where TPWD was going to rebuild it but I have no idea if that ever occurred.

Ya I remember hearing it. I tried looking it up but was unable to find anything recent. Just an old wrote up saying its extremely shallow. ...tell me something I dont know Very Happy
texancare
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:57 pm    Post subject: Refugio Co. Bayside boat ramp Reply with quote

The county has decided to rebuild and dredge the area soon . Sat. driving by the constr. sighns are up, soon to be closed to public. Thank you TPW for your help on this process!
TexasJim
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some research on the Bayside launch. From what I found, it was owned and (not)maintained by TPWD. Whomever designed it put the breakwater on the wrong side, and it's a really good silt scoop. Apparently, it has silted in and been dredged more than once.
A couple of years back, TPWD deeded it to Refugio County. Supposedly, they had plans to dredge and rehab it. My bet is that they choked at the construction cost, and haven't done anything. Someone told me that they really didn't want it to become a popular launch(for mostly non-Refugio County boaters), because the ramp area doesn't have adequate parking for tons of trucks and trailers. That's probably the true reason nothing has been done. The Refugio newspaper editor had some comments when it was given to the county, and my questions to him were never acknowledged or answered.
I see guys launching shallow-draft boats there, probably at highest tides, but I suspect they have to push-pole out to water deep enough for their OB to be usable. The docks are tired, but the ramps look OK.
It's a shame it's not usable, since the 188 Port Bay bridge ramp is so terrible, costs $5 to launch and risk your neck to use it, and there's not another public ramp on Copano Bay, except many miles away at the big bridge.
Why aren't there more boat ramps? Two main reasons: Parking and Trash!
Oh, well, TexasJim
hickroots07

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TexasJim wrote:
I did some research on the Bayside launch. From what I found, it was owned and (not)maintained by TPWD. Whomever designed it put the breakwater on the wrong side, and it's a really good silt scoop. Apparently, it has silted in and been dredged more than once.
A couple of years back, TPWD deeded it to Refugio County. Supposedly, they had plans to dredge and rehab it. My bet is that they choked at the construction cost, and haven't done anything. Someone told me that they really didn't want it to become a popular launch(for mostly non-Refugio County boaters), because the ramp area doesn't have adequate parking for tons of trucks and trailers. That's probably the true reason nothing has been done. The Refugio newspaper editor had some comments when it was given to the county, and my questions to him were never acknowledged or answered.
I see guys launching shallow-draft boats there, probably at highest tides, but I suspect they have to push-pole out to water deep enough for their OB to be usable. The docks are tired, but the ramps look OK.
It's a shame it's not usable, since the 188 Port Bay bridge ramp is so terrible, costs $5 to launch and risk your neck to use it, and there's not another public ramp on Copano Bay, except many miles away at the big bridge.
Why aren't there more boat ramps? Two main reasons: Parking and Trash!
Oh, well, TexasJim

Thank you for that info. I was thinking poling across may be an option with the motor up. I may go check it out next time I drive by just to put eyes on it.
CopanoCruisin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most days you should be able to pole most boats across the sanded in area by the corner. Or just step out and pull across weather permitting. Be aware that there is a buried tire right off of the corner also, visible often on low tides. Seems like most shallow running tunnels just run out around the right of the corner and tire. Actually the last that I have heard was the county was waiting on a government grant, although that has been going on about 3 years or so. By the way most of the locals that thought the public ramp was only for them have died off. Heck when we go to other public ramps, we are in someone else
CopanoCruisin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG! Looks like someone is mobilizing to begin work on the public boat
Ramp at Bayside. On my way home yesterday I did notice that there was a backhoe and skid steer off loaded there. I really don
Rebecca of Sunnybrookfarm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that CBBEP might have had a hand in getting that project off center
becky

ziacatcher wrote:
However I bet if you were fishing naked Ranger Rick would have a problem with that
CopanoCruisin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like only thing done so far is that they put up some silt fence along the little back lake area on the west side of the ramp. Oh well, it is finally a start. I certainly hope they rebuild the break water better this time. After the last two boat ramp rebuilds, as soon a the breakwater extension into the bay failed, the ramps really silted in quickly. Just saying
CopanoCruisin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest update: I saw on Facebook that a local contractor who is a sub on this project has stated up to 180 days to completion once they get started. Although
CopanoCruisin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked with the local contractor this afternoon. He advised the latest and greatest is maybe 4-8 weeks for the GLO/COE permit to be finalized. Oh well, I guess we will just wait & see. Just saying
TexasJim
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was fishing off 136 Bridge Thursday, and drove to the Bayside ramp to check any progress. As stated a while back, they put up a plastic debris fence. The only other "progress" to be seen, is a ROAD CLOSED barrier at the highway. I drove past it to the ramp, and the walkway boards and lateral supports have been removed from the "courtesy dock" walkway between the two ramps, leaving only the original pilings. Obviously, from the road barrier and this work, they consider the ramp closed. No matter, as it was almost unusable before their work began.
It'll be interesting to see how this turns out. I sure would like to launch my skiff from there, someday.
CopanoCruisin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TexasJim, you are absolutely correct. Absolutely no change since my last update. I think that next weekend I might just cross paths with the local subcontractor that is scheduled to do most of the work and if find out any info, I certainly will update.just saying
CopanoCruisin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:05 pm    Post subject: Bayside boat ramp update Reply with quote

FYI, the Bayside Boat ramp is closed again. Last week they mobilized a pontoon excavator and started digging it out again. Sad part is if they don’t extend the breakwater out, I seriously think it will silt in again, just as quick. Oh well, such as life in small town America. Just saying……….cC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: