Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Report - East Flats - Oct. 21st, 2022

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Kayaking Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neumie
Finger Mullet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:26 pm    Post subject: Report - East Flats - Oct. 21st, 2022 Reply with quote

On Friday we decided to head to East Flats, since it is been a reliable spot for us over the past several years. The plan this day was to start at a main drain of the flat to catch the tail end of the falling tide. We got to Island Moorings Marina around 6:30 and were ready to launch by 7.

We made the quick paddle up the channel to spot with nearly the entire group paddling there; all except my sister who trailed back working some of the smaller drains. We got the channel and everyone got out of their kayak and we immediately started to catch schooly trout.

We all hung out for about 30 minutes or so before we moved onto the flats looking for reds and throwing topwaters since it was calmer than forecast. Ron hooked up on the first drift, throwing one of his specialized set ups and bringing a middle slot red to the kayak. I had some blowups on topwater, and landed a couple just under reds. Andy Hooked up with an undersized red as well.

Andy, Ron, and I pointed the kayaks towards a couple small islands near Corpus Christi Bay. We saw some reds up along the shoreline, but could not get them to bite. We met up with Whit and he had a red on the stringer.

I admittedly did not get many pictures today. Mostly due to being frustrated. I spent a lot of the day standing up, drifting the flats, and sight casting to reds. I did bang out a slot red eventually, but all the reds were super skittish to anything landing within 10 feet of them. Ron and Lou headed in before anyone else with Lou having strung up two reds.

Look, a pretty bird.

Anyways, old reliable was not so reliable. Although most of us were able to string up fish, it was not what we had hoped for. As I mentioned, I had spent most of the day standing and drifting and saw a ton of redfish, but they were super skittish. I just could not find a lure that would work and had me wishing I had brought my fly rod. Oh well, dinner that night was Benchwarmers and we finished the night out on the bluff with a fire, beverages, and cigars.

Meteorological Observations
Time: 7:00 am - 2:30 pm
Air Temp: 70F - 76F
Wind: 8-15 kn SSW-SSE (gusting to 18 kn)
Barometric Pressure: 1017 mb
Sky: Sunny
Water Clarity: 12-24 In
Water Temp: 74F
Structure: Grass, Sand Holes, Oyster

Solunar
Sunrise/set: 7:31 am/6:50 pm
Moonrise/set: 3:48 am/5:00 pm
Moon Phase: Waning Crescent (12.2%)

Predicted Tides @ Port Aransas (MLLW)
High @ 2:48 am (0.84 ft)
Low @ 8:28 am (0.72 ft)
High @ 12:09 pm (0.83 ft)
Low @ 7:37 pm (0.29 ft)

Lures
Silver Mullet Spook Jr
Pumpkinseed/Chartreuse Down South Southern Shad
PBT Buggs Double Bunny Jig
Kitchen Sink MirrOlure Lil John
Strawberry/White Chickenboy Pyscho Chicken
1/4oz weedless Gold Spoon

Fish
Reds: 6 Keepers, a few undersized
Trout: A Lot of undersized

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Kayaking Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: