Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finally found a buck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Hunting South Texas Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prof. Salt
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject: Finally found a buck Reply with quote

This year hunting season seemed to drag on and on because I wasn't seeing any deer that needed removal from the gene pool or mature bucks, and my frustration began to build. My FIL was seeing shooters, and my son saw a huge 12-point, but he waited for it to leave and shot a management deer because he just wanted some deer meat. I admire his commitment to improving the herd. I too wanted a deer, and didn't care if it was a big spike or a wall-hanger. My main focus was on a deer with some body mass, and I knew my current limitations with a longbow would likely keep me from success if I hunted with it. The compound seemed very heavy in comparison, but it shot exactly where I aimed, every time. So the Mathews sat on my lap towards the end of the season to maximize my odds of capitalizing on any opportunity that would present itself.

Last week I was sitting on a foggy morning and watching a familiar trio of young 8 and 9 point bucks harass the ladies when my guy finally strolled in, hot on the heels of a doe. He had a dark coat and was soaking wet, which made him look imposing beside the smaller deer. At 3 1/2 years old (my guess) I expected he would not be interested in corn, but would run around checking the ladies or making a scrape while his girl ate. This guy followed her right to the feeder, so I readied myself for a shot. He wasn't the ideal chunky brute but this was the first deer I had seen all season with decent body mass, and I wasn't in a mood to let him go. I settled the sight pin on his shoulder pocket as the buck was slightly quartering away and applied some pressure to the release trigger.

The arrow went right where I intended, and as it disappeared into his shoulder, the buck spun around to leave. Problem was that his front legs were no longer working well, so as he left his nose was nearly dragging the ground. He built up speed despite the challenge and ran smack into a tree 20 yards beyond the feeder. It was a loud and violent collision that sent a shower of limbs, bark and grass flying as he tumbled in a cartoonish tangle of hooves and antlers. He quickly regathered his composure and stood to run again. He made it another ten yards into a clearing before pausing. He cocked his head to the side and tipped over dead. The whole process from arrow release to death was less than seven seconds, and suddenly my hunting season was over.

While cleaning the deer I found that I had missed the heart, but the aortic arch (the main artery leaving the top of the heart) had been cut completely free, so he bled out very quickly. The best part was that from where I was sitting, the deer was clearly visible just 50 yards away.

The freezer is full of delicious steaks and stew meat again and I'm ready to go back to fishing Very Happy

TexGator
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story and shot. Congrats. There is nothing like being able to see the deer on the ground from you stand. Takes away the anxiety for sure.
ziacatcher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice deer Glenn. Congrats
deputydawg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job! I love it when they go down quick like that!
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good shot, Professor!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Hunting South Texas Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: