Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

50 lbs was enough

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Hunting South Texas Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prof. Salt
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: 50 lbs was enough Reply with quote

I have always shot a 60 lb bow, but after a second neck surgery in January and the nerve damage to my arm that occurred with that injury, I have been unable to pull back any bow set at 60 lbs. When I turned mine back to 50 it became (barely) possible and I began to practice with my lighter pull. A few years ago I had beefed up my arrows to get better penetration, and I'm shooting 125 grain Magnus Serrazors with a 100 grain insert. It was effective with my lighter pull weight Saturday!

This buck had been chasing does and making scrapes for an hour before I decided to try and take him. At his age there should be larger antlers on his head, but on the bright side he was a heavy sack of healthy venison which was the whole reason I was in the woods that day. The buck came in to eat and stopped at 17 yards, slightly quartering away. I settled the pin on the crease and let it fly. At the shot, he began to spin on the way out. The arrow impacted where I had aimed, but with his spinning motion the trajectory had changed. I watched apprehensively as it disappeared in the crease at an angle that might miss the chest altogether. It passed between his chest and leg and exited forward. The deer's leg was dangling uselessly as he trotted to the brush and disappeared. From inside the blind I looked with the binoculars and could see blood spray all over the grass where he had gone in, and immediately felt better. After 30 minutes I got down and recovered the arrow and inspected the beginning of the blood trail. I had been expecting to wait around for a while longer but at five feet from impact there was a big blood drop, and then a larger one. After that it turned into spray and by the time it hit the brush you could see evidence of every heartbeat sprayed across the grasses. Within 75 yards he was laying dead, beside a rub (probably his) on a small tree. I got lucky and won't be shooting another unless I get the animal broadside and relaxed inside of 20 yards.

deputydawg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good buck, congratulations!

I've had some shoulder issues too and haven't shot my bow in a couple of years. Sucks to get old! I got a crossbow for a TPWD hunt last year and although its not the same its still pretty fun!
ratherbefishing
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on getting old and having bad shoulders.

Glad you had an easy trail to follow, Glenn.
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all of that paddling I am sure your shoulder is strong enough! Very Happy
Prof. Salt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyler wrote:
After all of that paddling I am sure your shoulder is strong enough! Very Happy

I sure thought so! My paddling game is 100% these days, but the bow takes different muscles. At 60 lbs I could not keep my left arm straight - it would just collapse the bow back toward my body. The right arm can draw 60 without any problem, but that left arm is driving me crazy. Sad Fifty is working for me, and I'll eventually work back to 60 and have my archery game back to normal but for now I'll limit myself to close shots.
IrishSharker
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great buck Glen! My dad is your size and broke his neck 6 years ago, he shoots 42lbs now and killed a 220lb free range east tx buck this year. Its amazing how far bows have come..
Prof. Salt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishSharker wrote:
Great buck Glen! My dad is your size and broke his neck 6 years ago, he shoots 42lbs now and killed a 220lb free range east tx buck this year. Its amazing how far bows have come..

That's good to hear, and I'm glad your dad is able to get back into it. I can watch the arrow fly and see that it doesn't have the speed it used to, but then again traditional archery has been successful for eons at that kind of speed. One thing I have learned to appreciate this year is a truly sharp broadhead and a little more weight up front. It sure drives arrows through the targets.
IrishSharker
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof. Salt wrote:
IrishSharker wrote:

That's good to hear, and I'm glad your dad is able to get back into it. I can watch the arrow fly and see that it doesn't have the speed it used to, but then again traditional archery has been successful for eons at that kind of speed. One thing I have learned to appreciate this year is a truly sharp broadhead and a little more weight up front. It sure drives arrows through the targets.

Great advise and not something people think of enough! He is shooting the Full Metal jackets with a 100gr fixed Silver flame bh and it did great. I have shot the magnus stingers and had great luck.. Thats some BLOOD!
ziacatcher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations glenn. Nice story and deer.
Bay Grinder
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great buck with the bow!

There's nothing wrong dropping down draw weight to be able to hunt still, adding some arrow weight definitely helps. I draw 70 lbs but went higher weight too. I run light carbon arrows with 125 grain fixed broadheads with 120 grain insert / sleeve up front. Kept my setups under 30 yards rand have had great passthroughs and short track jobs this year.
Prof. Salt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Not only did 50 lbs prove enough to take down three deer, but it also proved more than capable of pass-throughs on pigs!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Hunting South Texas Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: