Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VOTE, VOTE, VOTE Tomorrow!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BayFly
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Another sad damocrat (no it's not misspelled). They just have to damn this and damn that!
bulldog1935

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the word conservative referred to those who wanted to conserve our natural resources, and it was the demacrats (since the word is otherwise blocked on the forum) who wanted to strip them bare to create jobs.
I will remain a Teddy Roosevelt republican.
Next to Teddy Roosevelt, the most productive environmental president in US history was Richard Nixon.
I will always refer to California as the least environmentally proactive state in our nation - simply look at their track record.
Texas government bureaucracy also approved the Harbor Island desalination plant with support from academic scientists.
It happens to be a conservation organization misled by outsiders that is quashing it in court, using the same tactics they use in California.
Desalination for public water is coming - the question is whether we get it before the groundwater is depleted and destroys our rivers and bays.
BayFly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your insight about this potable water matter bulldog1935, but until I began spending time in Corpus Christi I had never lived where water was precious. In Austin my home's water resource is Lake Travis where water is plentiful and a very good quality. However, in the 70's I read a report produced by or for the L. C. R. A. or Lower Colorado River Association which stated Texas was projected to have water shortages by 2025. Obviously, that was approximately 50 years ago, thus it was not very threatening to me, except when I moved my residence I made sure I moved where there a good water source. In the meantime I've observed Corpus Christi's water source problem and have wondered what the solution might ultimately be.
bulldog1935

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

president-elect Biden's environmental platform specifically stated reduction of US fossil-electric power.
In our country, we turn the acid gasses into solids using flue gas scrubbing - it's another plant attached to every power plant.
China and Malaysia acid gas emissions are not scrubbed, and are altering the Pacific Ocean, already killing one-quarter of the Great Barrier Reef within our lifetimes, and affecting US west coast oyster production.
The problem is not with US fossil power, it's with China and Malaysia - they could be buying our scrubber technology - president Trump understands this.
The liberals approach has always been that the west had its time of industrial pollution, now it's the east's turn.
The US imports 10 million aluminum bicycles every year - they are made entirely using global-polluting China fossil power - that's just one item from a long list.
BayFly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might know it had to do with the Chinese! Rolling Eyes Seriously though, you have paid more attention to the global problem then I have, possibly due to your engineering background?
bd0202
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BayFly wrote:
I appreciate your insight about this potable water matter bulldog1935, but until I began spending time in Corpus Christi I had never lived where water was precious. In Austin my home's water resource is Lake Travis where water is plentiful and a very good quality...

Sorry, as a former resident of the same area, I lost my s*it after his quote. Lake Travis is a pond just like Medina near S.A. bulldog1935 is absolutely correct. Travis and Medina both are at less than 50% of their former capacity....Proof? Just look up the abandoned 'resort island' on Medina, which now has a walkway to it. Travis had a similar resort, but since it's near the capital it's far more burried.

LBJ and Canyon are the only 'constant level' lakes in Central TX, and eventually, they'll be forced to take water from them as well. I support Desal for drinking, but this move by the city and the port to make the one they're building only for 'industrial purposes', is absolute B.S.

Bulldog has it right all the way. And now under the supposed president-elect, I can't even the travesties ahead of us, Question
Rxfire
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like when Obama tried to take our guns, right? But at least Trump relaxed those dam safety regulations on deepwater drilling, so the BP Oil Spill cannot happen again, as the drillers will "be more relaxed on the job" without those safety measures. Thank God!

The coast is full of solar energy, and wind. How about powering several GIANT Desal plants with wind/solar , pumping it all north, and then the effluent from improved sewage treatment plants could fill the rivers and lakes as it trickles down to the coast? A win-win! Paint it as green, and see if it sticks...
bulldog1935

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BayFly wrote:
You might know it had to do with the Chinese! Rolling Eyes Seriously though, you have paid more attention to the global problem then I have, possibly due to your engineering background?

I like to ride bikes, love to build up old classic steel bikes, and haven't bought a new one since 1977.
I've been active on the board of GRTU since the 90s, what I post here is not their position, but mine. I've also spent more hours reading USGS river flows followed by getting in the rivers at those sites than just about anybody.
At least until the drought of the 20-naughties made most of the hill country rivers un-wade-able. We're not in drought now, but the rivers are mostly choked with hair algae.

1) Desalination for public water, (2) Massive imports feeding China's avarice.
Liberals call this "World Market", but curbing China imports is the single most proactive environmental action any president can make.

My 3rd soapbox is phosphorus fertilizers, which are never needed in Texas, because the ground doesn't freeze, and our soils are already thick with phosphorus.
The population increase in Texas is astronomical - like nowhere else in the country - and no sign of letting up. We continue to take more water from the ground and add more fertilizer run-off to what remains

You can wave your hands all you want, but in our capitalist nation, desalination will come from its profitability, and Harbor Island is the logical first step to get it off the ground.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:39 am; edited 4 times in total
Redfishman72
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember back maybe mid 80s late somewhere in there. There was a big discussion on DSAL. My memory may be off so feel free for corrections. It was thought of purposed and a plan presented and i believe the site was where Ingleside NAS (Homeport) went in. I cant recall if luther jones was mayor but i remember there were alot who were on board because they recognized the future need, lack of, efficiency ect..... Thats about all i dont recall how it was quashed or the finer details msybe something can be found in caller times archieves? Now living in san antonio we know aquifers and such. I voted aginst a purposal on ballot to take funds away from edwards aquifer protection and put it into via our public transport up here. Makes no sense bail out poor city planning and budgeting dept. While we got fish life existent only in the aquifer being pushed aside. Thought your supposed to care clean up protect whats important. Not run amuk screw it up and say we will fix it later n later. Also big agenda up here some smaller local damed lakes where dams were in disrepair were going to be let go and just drain due to lack of maint up keep. Well water supplies would be lost there peoples lske front places now are like arizona. So they sued filed on em. Now oh were gonna fix em so we can keep these assets. Closed mouth dont get fed!!! They listen if ya just speak up. Dont get me started on CCA sounds and is more like a polotical party now days total loss of direction and purpose. Sell outs!!
Ill always speak my peace guaranteed these 20yr senators are who need to go. But again good with bad. Take a long term senior senator or rep and people think if i dont elect him our state will have freshman polotician who gets stuck on trash duty where a senior gets senate finance, arms, budget and his state and ideals at top cause he she pulls weight( john coryn mitch oconnel lindsay graham).All corrupted by yrs of endorsements polotical kick backs election funding ect.. Terms is what we need keep fresh ideas american dream alive prosperity. I could ramble forever

God bless RIP Alex Trebek
BayFly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We would be in deeper do-do without the three mentioned Senators in my opinion. If the damocrats get control of the Senate it's goodby U.S.A., as we have known it over our lifetimes.
greenhornet2
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This definitely seems off topic, could y'all take it there, parler, fiction section...whatever you're into these days.
bulldog1935

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compared to April, May, June July and August, when there were only political threads on this forum and no fishing threads, this one is quite tame, contained, and voiced an important topic that has been neglected for 20 years and then interfered by a conservation organization to which a large number of this forum subscribe.
If CCA says it's bad, then it's bad? Wait a minute, let's look at the big picture.
This document was generated by the Nueces and Corpus Christi Bay Stakeholders
https://www.tceq.texas.gov/assets/public/permitting/watersupply/water_rights/eflows/20120725nuecesbbasc_nuecesupdate.pdf

BayFly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks bulldog1935, I had no ideal the influx of fresh water to our bays was so involved, and involved so many participants. That being said, I certainly don't think it's off topic, but just explains why we experience fluctuations in our catches. I guess some think we should just discuss what bait or line to use?
Redfishman72
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty bulldog!!! I know water discharge from lake cc down the nueces is important, has been for years. But of all the years and anyone who knows farming or the general route of the nueces past choke canyon knows there is miles and miles of farm land. This miles n miles has creeks and such that flow and carry water downstream and empty out into the back bay. From the back road of odem to portland nothin but the same. All along the texas coastal farming coastal plain. Were reaping what we sowed now from decades of chemicals, oil spills, drainage, sewage. Maybe protecting and finding new ways to get or make potable water i fundamentally sound. Better chemical mfg also. Years of neglect are killing us. If theres a monsanto roundup lawsuit for cancer (cotton defoilant) wonder what that runoff has done to our ecology bays estuaries MUTATIONS. Just thoughts guys. If we use our brains not our pockets soultions can be found to protect all

Rip alex trebek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: