Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Barking bird at Dusk?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BayFly
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Barking bird at Dusk? Reply with quote

We have several medium sized birds(20-30) which seem to live in some large Live Oak trees near our home and each day at dusk they began slowly barking like a very small dog then after a few minutes began flying toward the GOM, one at a time, while continuing to bark until they are all gone. I say bark, because I've never heard another bird make a similar sound. The first time I heard them I began looking for a small dog and what it was barking at. The birds are dark in color and because we only see them at dusk I have not noticed any color other then they appear brown. I plan to spot light them this evening and possibly photograph them to learn more. If any of you know more about these birds please share your knowledge. The only information I have been able to find about a bird making a similar sound referenced a Nighthawk, but they appear to have more color then the birds I'm referencing.
Sinker
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only bird I can think of is Black Crowned Night Herron.
I say that because they roost during day time and feed at night. Twilight is when the take off one at a time.
You might look up a photo to compare with the mystery bird.
BayFly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sinker! I googled Black Crown Night Herron and was corrected in it's spelling, due to it having only one r in Heron. Maybe the spelling is different in different areas. I was able to spot light a couple of them tonight very close and their breast is light, but not white, as shown in at least one photo, but there were other photos of herons like the ones I'm seeing. I was able to listen to some recordings on google and it helped a lot in confirming the birds we are seeing and hearing are the Black Crown Night Heron. I appreciate your help in identifying the herons. In at least two of the Texas bird references we have the referenced bird is not shown or listed.
Sinker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are very welcome.
Good catch on my spelling error with heron.
If this is a location where my wife and I can observe some evening please PM me with details.
BayFly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading more and viewing more photos it appears the birds we are seeing are immature Black Crown Night Herons, possibly with an adult mixed in, but without more observation I'm not sure there are adults present. They don't all fly in the same direction, thus some can't be observed at all. I waited too late last night to view the greater mass of them and only observed a couple of what must have been the last of the flight.
justcruisin
Finger Mullet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the herons

Last edited by justcruisin on Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:48 am; edited 2 times in total
justcruisin
Finger Mullet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BayFly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above pictured heron is said to be an immature one from what I have read. Their colors change to the black crown and white belly when they are older, so the story goes.
Sinker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct on immature bird. The mature birds have not changed into their prime breeding plumage yet so not that black head with white tassels.
Have you searched the forage with spotting scope?
BayFly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the immature Black Crown Night Herons have relocated. I still hear them occasionally and see them flying at dusk, but they are no longer leaving from the trees across from us. At least not in the numbers we were seeing just a few days ago. Makes me wonder if the coming cooler weather has them going further South? BTW, no spotting scope here. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: