Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoked Kingfish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Bbqing, Grilling, Frying, Recipes, and All Things Tasty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1rhino1
Finger Mullet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Smoked Kingfish Reply with quote

Last time I ate King, I decided I'd never have it again. We caught a few the other day, so I felt obligated to go back on my word!

Tried this out after watching a YouTube video. We didn't follow the recipe due to a lack of brown sugar, but it still turned out really great.

Brined the fish for a few hours in saltwater; brined again for another hour, in sweet brine.

1.5 cups plain sugar
1.5 cups of water
4 tablespoons of salt
1/2 cup of maple syrup

Smoked for about 1.5 hours, 220 or so, over apple. Turned out amazing. Everyone kept comparing it to chicken, but it was clearly just delicious fish.

Actual Recipe:

1.5 cups brown sugar
1.5 cups of water
4 tablespoons of salt

I think that if we would have taken our time on the brining process, that it would have been even better! Try it out, especially if you have been passing on those kingfish for a while.
panthera
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. Im going to try it. do you have a proper way to clean them?
bd0202
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds good. My dad and I love it, although I have heard it's higher in mercury content than most fish.

panthera - I can't speak for rhino, but in my experience kingfish is usually made into steaks, generally by filleting them but leaving the skin on and cutting into even steaks.

We just put ours on the grill with some lemon juice, salt, and pepper...slow cooked over a fire. Not as good as smoking them I'm sure, but yeah. Definitely worth a try.

Last edited by bd0202 on Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Central Scrutinizer
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bd0202 wrote:
although I have heard it's higher in mercury content than most fish.

Granted, NRDC is a far left-wing tree-hugger pinko commie group, BUT, this article about Mercury levels in various fish is true.

https://www.nrdc.org/stories/mercury-guide

Even the TX Dept. of State Health Services has a consumption advisory for Kings.

https://dshs.texas.gov/seafood/advisories-bans.aspx

Scroll down to Gulf of Mexico, Advisory 48.
bd0202
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Central Scrutinizer wrote:
bd0202 wrote:
although I have heard it's higher in mercury content than most fish.

Granted, NRDC is a far left-wing tree-hugger pinko commie group, BUT, this article about Mercury levels in various fish is true.

https://www.nrdc.org/stories/mercury-guide

Even the TX Dept. of State Health Services has a consumption advisory for Kings.

https://dshs.texas.gov/seafood/advisories-bans.aspx

Scroll down to Gulf of Mexico, Advisory 48.

A nice steak every few years doesn't hurt. I don't go for kings that often, but they sure are fun to catch. The fight is what it's about - almost like tarpon. CPR it if you're afraid to eat it.

And yes CS, I know the NRDC are radically left, but I tend to believe the TxSHS even better. Wink
deputydawg
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont keep a lot of them but smoked kingfish is pretty dang good! Mixed up in a dip is what I usually do with it.

I also like to take the balled out chunks and boil them in crab boil and dip them in melted butter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Bbqing, Grilling, Frying, Recipes, and All Things Tasty All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: