Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Report: Airport Rd (Copano) - Mar 1, 2020

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Kayaking Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neumie
Finger Mullet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Report: Airport Rd (Copano) - Mar 1, 2020 Reply with quote

Arrived at Rockport Friday evening just in time for dinner at 495 Chesapeake Eats (one the bet places for dinner in Rockport) with my wife and sister. This has nothing to do with the report, but I felt like plugging a great restaurant. But on Saturday Copano Bay was glassed over, the air was crisp, and the sounds of a weed-wacker and chainsaw filled the air. Ok, this weekend started as a work weekend getting pushed off projects completed on the property. I was envious of other anglers all morning long wanting to be in my kayak stalking reds on South Bay (tides permitting). But work had to be done and I was glad we got it finished this Saturday with cool weather and no mosquito.

Sunday morning I was able to get out, but decided to wade instead of dealing with my kayak because I only had a small window to fish that morning. Winds were out of the south, so I decided to wade Airport Flats behind Rockport Airport.

I got on the water around 6:30 and had landed a schoolie trout by 7. There some signs of bait in the area, so this was encouraging. I was butt deep and casting deeper when I waded into an area where I was getting several bites and hooked a trout before it tossed my lure. As I was wading along my footing on the sand felt odd. I lifted my foot out realized my wading boot was falling apart. I guess that wraps up my morning wade.

Although I had planned on being off the water relatively early this morning, I didn't expect it to be that early. Regardless, getting out and wetting a line really felt good on the sore muscles from working most of Saturday.

Meteorological Observations
Time: 6:30 am - 8:00 am
Air Temp: 65 F
Wind: SSE 10 (Gusting to 15)
Barometric Pressure: 1015 mb
Sky: Overcast
Water Clarity: 2 ft, Sandy
Water Temp: 62 F
Structure: Mostly Sand

Solunar
Sunrise/set: 6:52 am/6:28 pm
Moonrise/set: 11:01 am/ -----
Moon Phase: Waxing Crescent (36.6%)

Predicted Tides @ Rockport (MLLW)
Low @ 5:16 am (-0.23 ft)
High @ 8:25 pm (-0.01 ft)

Lures
Silver Mullet Spook Jr.
Strawberry Sand Shad Jr. on 1/8 oz jighead

Fish
Trout: 1 undersized

bulldog1935
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the report Josh.
Is it also a good place to launch a kayak? Looks like good grass right off the beach, and again deeper out.
Neumie
Finger Mullet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog1935 wrote:
thanks for the report Josh.
Is it also a good place to launch a kayak? Looks like good grass right off the beach, and again deeper out.

Very easy to launch a kayak and ample parking too. Not a lot of grass at the moment, but will grow as the water warms.
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great report Neumi!
bd0202
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do like my dad. He uses some cheap Wal Mart tennis shoes he bought years ago for wade fishing. They've fallen apart on him numerous times. Instead of going and buying a new pair for $20, he either super glues and/or duct tapes them. You can see markings on them from the previous repairs. Damn, I wish I had a picture.

They've literally been around since the 1990s and still are somewhat in tact. We scream at him every time he pulls them out, "Just go get some new ones!!!" With all he's spent on taping or gluing them over the years, he could have bought several new pairs. But it's a fisherman thing - they're his "lucky" shoes. Laughing Rolling Eyes
bulldog1935
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was with a buddy one day wading Cedar Bayou - he was in tennis shoes.
When he took them off, his feet were bloody from the sand.
If you wear tennis shoes, at least add lycra scuba socks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Kayaking Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: