Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Report: Bird Island Basin - Feb 22, 2020

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Kayaking Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neumie
Finger Mullet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Report: Bird Island Basin - Feb 22, 2020 Reply with quote

I arrived at the park a little after 6 am and took my time getting gear together and ended up launching around 6:45 am. The wind was lighter than expected and made my paddle north easier. I probably have not fished here in over 10 years, so I have forgotten how tranquil it is down there. With the light winds you could hear to roar of the surf and calls of the birds only occasionally interrupted by the hum of a power boater leaving the boat ramp.

I made the 1.5+ mile paddle north to South Bird Island and began setting up for drifts. Third cast in and my topwater was slurped under water. Found a solid fish for a little while, but it ended up throwing my lure. It was my fault as I know I did not get a good hook set. I continued on and had a couple of really strong swipes at the topwater but couldn't get a hook in a fish. Finally I was rewarded with a football of redfish on topwater.

Figured out most of the action came from deeper water so I reset a little deeper. I got noting at that point. I decided to paddle back east to the barrier island and set up for drifts coming off the drop off of the sand flat. I made one long drift at first throwing the Sand Shads and landed an undersized trout, so I then tied on a Graswalker. The grasswalker produced three solid trout on the first drift, then another on a second, shorter drift. Tried to scratch out the limit with a third drift, but I needed to get back on the road for the drive back to San Antonio.

Got home and decided to blacken the redfish and topped it with a toasted pecan and crab meat relish. Brussels sprouts, dirty rice and a pinot grigio finished the meal.

Meteorological Observations
Time: 6:45 am - 1:15 pm
Air Temp: 52 - 61
Wind: N swinging to E 5-10 mph (Gusting 10+)
Barometric Pressure: 1030 mb (falling after 10:00 am)
Sky: Mostly Sunny
Water Clarity: 1-3 feet
Water Temp: 57
Structure: Grass

Solunar
Sunrise/set: 7:00 am/6:24 pm
Moonrise/set: 6:39 am/5:44 pm
Moon Phase: Waning Crescent (1.9%)

Measured Tides @ S. Bird Island (MLLW)
High @ 5:54 am (0.82 ft)
Low @ 4:24 pm (0.59 ft)

Lures
Silver Mullet Spook Jr.
Bone Diamond TS Grasswalker
Baffin Magic Sand Shad on 1/8 oz jighead
Plum Sand Shad Jr. on 1/8 oz jighead

Fish
Trout: 4 Keepers, 1 undersized
Reds: 1 Keeper

Bigrock
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly a thick fish! Transferred really well to the plate also. Yum!
Bay Grinder
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice haul!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Kayaking Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: