Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Second trip to the Keys for tarpon on the fly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RPool
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Second trip to the Keys for tarpon on the fly Reply with quote

Fished two days last week out of Key West with Grif Hedwig, fly guide extraordinaire. Last year gave plenty of targets but the fish weren't feeding at all and all I got was a few "feeds" and "takes". This year, fewer fish but we found them on a "guppy hatch, actively feeding with the cormorants. Got my first solid jumps and runs, last one that went about 80 lbs. Still a rookie, but what a gas! By the way, haven't met a Keys guide that doesn't use a "Stiffy" pushpole.
bulldog1935
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my friend Scott Graham was guiding tarpon at Port O'Conner in the summers, he would break a 12-wt rod each month - either the rod or rip the reel foot off the reel.
https://gulffishing.com/txtarpon.html
RPool
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is Scott Graham now? I remember that jumbo tarpon he got. Fished with him below Canyon Dam - great guy, great guide.
lagunaflyoutfitters
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: tarpon Reply with quote

glad you too are addicted. took my whole family this year in 2 boats. had a blast those guys can get it on
bulldog1935
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RPool wrote:
Where is Scott Graham now? I remember that jumbo tarpon he got. Fished with him below Canyon Dam - great guy, great guide.

Scott followed his wife to her new job in NC. He retired from NYC chef to fly fishing guide at 30-y-o. Great guy.

i learned some great spots on the Guadalupe tailrace by watching each Scott and Lefty Ray from a distance.
This is the run upstream from River Road IceHouse. I was fishing farther down at lower Rio one day when Scott brought a fare here to wade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: