Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PINS Trip 25-27 March (3rd Try)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red
Finger Mullet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:53 pm    Post subject: PINS Trip 25-27 March (3rd Try) Reply with quote

Let's see if this works.

It's been way too long since my last post, but I'd like to share a trip my dad and I managed to PINS recently. We left San Antonio early Monday morning and made it to PINS around 0930. Our first stop was at the 25 mm. On the drive south, we observed lots of dead debris on the beach and water was kind of brown. Fishing with shrimp brought some whiting. We tried cut bait which the whiting also hit. It was kinda slow, so we decided to move south Tues morning. We ended up at the PM jetties and tried a spot near the jetties. Water was clear and clean with little to no debris on the beach. At this spot my dad caught the first and only pompano.

Only Pomp

After catching the Pomp, there was not much catching not even a willing whiting. I tried a mirror lure, but no takers. An interesting thing did happen though while walking and throwing the lure. I came across a flying fish. It was pretty close when it came out of the water and looked like a mullet with wings. It was horizontal for some time, and I heard the buzz of the wings as it flew above the water. After a few hours, we decided to move south. We came across a deep area a few miles from the jetties. It was slow during the day with some withing. Dad and I also saw some rays swimming in the wade gut. We decided to stay at this spot knowing there was more debris down south and water just looked good, fishy good. As it turned out around 600 to sunset, there was a good redfish bite. Below is the first and biggest at 27 and three quarter inches.

First Red

The second red was 27 inches. We also managed a 24, 21, and 20.25 and threw back a 19 inch red. All caught on cut whiting. As I was cutting bait, I heard one of the drags singing. Dad got to the pole, but could not get the pole out of the anchor rod. Drag was screaming, line going out fast, about one third of line left when Dad asked me to intervene. Well I got the pole out of the anchor rod and just held on for a bit. Fish never stopped and eventually broke off. We believe the culprit was a good sized shark. I am surprised it stayed on that long as we were using 30 lb leader with Owner 4/0 offset circle hooks. After this event it slowed. Reds probably spooked away. When night came the catfish showed up so we called it a night.

On Wed the wind and surf had picked up, so we decided to get an early start and head north. Driving back was mostly 4x4 with some hard packed areas. We also noticed more debris on the beach. We tried a few throws with cut bait on the way in, but no takers. On the way in we came across two orange shrimp baskets.

Fish in basket

Dad wanted a stringer shot, so here we go.

Fish, Dad, and I

It was a good trip, especially since we had not been down in such a long time. I do hope the water and debris situation gets better for the next trip. Until next report, tight lines and happy fishing. Very Happy
Cheers
Richard
Red
Finger Mullet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third attempt worked. I spelled out three quarter. Word format had numerator / denominator format. Sorry for the multiple attempts.
ziacatcher
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you stayed persistent because the pictures are awesome. Great job
deputydawg
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great trip, pictures, and memories!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Richard It's been a while but I love seeing your reports!
AnmRanch
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report.
Thanks!
parttime
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report and it's awesome you got to fish with your dad!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: