Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Surf fly fishing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donnie
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Surf fly fishing Reply with quote

I have a fly rod , a friend left it here a long time ago. He had lived in the washington area, and said he used this rig for salmon,about 5 years or so earlier. Its been on my wall - for 50 years, not kidding, he moved away in 1968. I ordered some fly leaders , fly line, backing - and am going to take this with me, so some calm morning (when I am by myself - dont want this recorded) - I am going to try to use this in the surf. For you guys that do this , what kind of flies, lures - or what do you use in the surf with a fly rod.
bulldog1935

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

copying this post over here on the duplicate thread - I love this simple fly.
bulldog1935 wrote:
my favorite fly that has the biggest profile in the smallest easiest to cast fly is called a hi-tie.
Probably won't find it in a fly shop, but it's easy to tie.
You just stack pinches of bucktail, working your way up the hook.

A natural bucktail and a dyed bucktail will find all the shades you need for the fly. Orange kevlar thread, a bobbin.
This one has one stack of synthetic powder blue, and the doll eyes and epoxy head are optional.
I bet if you stop in a fly shop and show them this photo, they'll sit you down to tie a couple. Austin Angler always had an iced wash tub of beer, and sitting down at the vise with Joe Robinson always made his day more than selling something.

Size 2 hook fishes great on a 7-wt, and can fish up to a 2/0 on a 9-wt.
Donnie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BD, what have you caught on this color combination ? The same color combo on a kastmaster spoon, i caught a couple of slot reds, and lost a larger one. Some one had been throwing these spoons - with the blue and white - posted it here - or on facebook, dont remember, but last december or january - and their report was, they did very well on it.
bulldog1935

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the bays, most often fish dark olive on top, chartreuse next, above white (of course you tie them the other way).
I've caught grand slam on that fly in the bays, and at the jetties smacks and kings.
Blue is a really great night-time color, and is also a great combination for daytime in the surf, and definitely at the jetties.

I've also tied them from pink-dyed bucktail, plus natural white.
The bucktail itself goes from white to black, and on a dyed one will be the dye color gradually darkening to black.
but for pink, white stacks from the tail forward, a stack or two of pink, and last some of the darkest hairs from the tail.

The trick with tying hair is always not spinning the hair around the hook. You start the thread as gentle loops, and get them tight before you release your pinch on the hair stack. Two wraps, clip the excess in front of your wrap, another wrap or two, tie in the next stack. You can also add a spot of super glue before you move forward. Tying flies, you use the weight of the spool in the bobbin to keep the thread tight, while you use your hands for other things.

If I didn't mention it before, always kevlar thread on salt flies, and generally on hair flies.

here are some weighted bucktail flies with step-by-step photos - just popped up in my google search
https://flymenfishingcompany.com/pages/fly-tying-fishing-tutorials-bucktail-baitfish

Last edited by bulldog1935 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:12 am; edited 3 times in total
bulldog1935

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you ever decide to try fly tying, don't buy a kit - buy the basic tools and materials for just one fly you want to tie, then add more as you want to do more.
best place to buy fly-tying tools and materials online -
http://hookhack.com/

you can also find fly-tying tutorial videos on youtube ad nauseum
Donnie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL , guys I have an FYI for anyone as stupid as I was regarding this very old fly rod i have here- Its been on my wall for 51 years, it belonged to a friends dad, and they moved away, so anyway. I ordered some 'redfish' tip leaders - looked very nice, I attached it to the 51 year old , at least, fly line and on my trip to the island monday evening, I whipped it out. Trying to remember how to cast I thought was going to be the problem - it was not - trying to get that line to have any flex in it at all - was nuts. As I pulled line out - and attempted to cast, it lay around me in tight coils. I finally got enough out (i was standing on the first sand bar - at low tide monday evening) - with a heck of a throw, the I got the fly , i think yall called it the clouser, about 10 yards out, which wasnt too bad for how awful and stiff the fly line was. The great news, is as i tried to retrieve the line, - something hit that fly - I saw the line straighten out and I felt a pop , and it let go - so much slack line (slack coils) . So the bad news, I really do have to replace this 51 year old fly line, the good news is , I am 1 for 1 on casts versus strikes in my new sport of surf fly fishing !
bulldog1935

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you go guy - rip their lips

you'll discover newer lines have a lot less memory, so coiling won't be such a problem.
Maybe time to get that intermediate sinker.

I just picked up an old c. 1960 Harnell 8' glass rod for close-fishing from a kayak. The rod loves my 7-wt intermediate sinking line (slime line).
It also looks natural with this Valentine planetary multiplier (example from the 80s, and based on the 1906 Eton Sun patent, but still made by two brothers in a MA aerospace fab shop).
Check out the old Harnell - it's even got mylar (and higher-grade cork than you can find today).
Donnie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That intermediate sinking fly line, could you give me a reference , say on amazon as to what you would suggest.

Thanks
bulldog1935

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airflo Beach Intermediate would be my first choice.
Fish USA has it in 5-, 6-, and 7-wt
https://www.fishusa.com/product/Airflo-Beach-Full-Clear-Intermediate-Fly-Line
Not going to find a discount on this line.

Madison River Fishing Company has always been a great place to shop closeout fly lines.
Here's a 7-wt.
https://www.mrfc.com/scientific-anglers-sonar-hover-fly-line.html
note this line isn't clear

While fly line prices have gone crazy, consider one of my slime lines still fishing is a Scientific Angler's Mastery I bought in 1984.
If you don't mind paying the top dollar, get the airflo.

If you want a good floating line at realistic price, Cortland 333 is kind of the old reliable
https://www.tridentflyfishing.com/cortland-classic-333-saltwater-floating-fly-line.html

You need to fish longer leaders with a floating line, and can get by with 5-6' leader with a sinking line.

ps - found a little bit better deal from Cortland factory store on their slime line - in whatever line weight you need.
https://www.cortlandline.com/collections/saltwater-fly-line/products/big-game-intermediate

In the glass days 7-1/2' rods were usually 6-wt, and longer rods were 7-wt
A few salt-specific rods might be 8 or 9, but would probably cast better with the lighter 8 in a modern line.
your rod being for salmon, the 8-wt might be best
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: