Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pins Survival Kit and Driving Tips
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> FAQ, Rules, Privacy and How To's
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DamonH
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Pins Survival Kit and Driving Tips Reply with quote

Ok first off, thx to everyone who replies to my sometimes dumb questions, I really appreciate it.
I am planning on coming down to pins next week for an extended camping trip, as stated before I have no 4wd so I will be staying within the first 10 miles, hopefully can find a good spot to fish and camp.
My question is this: What are some of the most important things to bring? Obviously tents, sleeping bags and food but what are some of the tricks to beach camping and fishing? I am in the works trying to purchase a small kayak. If anyone is interested in renting an old kayak lemme know. Thanks ahead of time...
CastnBlast
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure...only dumb questions are the ones not asked... Here are some Musts:

Shovels, ( 2 ) 5ft 2x12 boards, a jack, and lots of water...oh yeah, and don't forget your rod and reels and tackle box! Laughing
mastergunner
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went this morning with 4wd and I stopped before 1 mile. They have even posted a big sign at the end of the blacktop saying 4wd only! You would be better south of bob hall pier where the city of corpus is grading the road. Now some will say you can go down during low tide and come out during low tide but many block the low path to stay out of the deep sand and you always have to think what happens if you have an emergency and need to leave in a hurry during high tide.
The Trash Heap
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read and believe the 4WD sign.

If you get stuck, as seems likely right now, before you reach that sign, drop the air pressure in your tires to 15 psi before you get too deep and drive out. Take an air compressor or filled air tank along to re-pressurize the tire when back on pavement.

Have a shovel and a good long tow strap in case the air pressure trick isn't enough. Attach the strap ends only to frames or axles, or you will be hauling your bumper(s) back in the trunk or pickup bed.

Don't block the heavily rutted areas and the area within a car's width of the water. Take plenty of rod holders, insert them in the edge of the water, and keep moving them back and forth with the tide so that idiots will have to drive in the water to run into your cast-out lines.

Pick a spot to park, camp, and play that allows at least one lane of traffic to stay on the wet sand and/or follow the ruts between you and the dunes without getting stuck. Be sure the parking spot is also firm enough for you to leave w/o getting stuck yourself. Remind yourself and the kids that these traffic lanes are public roads, and look both ways before crossing. Put up all the reflectors, flashers, crime scene tape, or whatever you prefer around the perimeter of your camp, but don't ever block those public roads. When you find someone who has, you'll probably get stuck and have plenty of time to complain about it to him.

Always keep a first-aid kit in the vehicle. Bring a small bottle of meat tenderizer along to the beach to smear on jellyfish stings. Also bring a large bottle of sunscreen, and stuff another of insect repellant into a roll of toilet paper. You'll need one as much as the other behind the dunes.
Gib
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: items needed Reply with quote

I would also add to this growing list a bottle of baby powder.

I love everything about the beach, but camping sometimes brings about more sand than I care for such as it being in places you did not even know existed.

Before settling in for the night, shower yourself in baby powder. Can't explain it, but it seems to remove the gritty feeling. I think it sucks up moisture and causes the sand to fall off of you.

Enjoy,

Gib
UnderDog
Pony Mullet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add some Preparation H (ointment, not cream) for StingRay hits
Meat Tenderizer for Jellyfish stings
Hand sanitizier for getting the fish smell off of your hands

Some Velcro straps and and assortment of bungee cords come in handy also..
Bluffer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing for a stingray hit is soaking in hot water. Have a way to heat water.
rstorm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it in a person that makes them think they should drive a 2WD vehicle off into ruts that are 18 inches deep on each side? Saturday heading off of the beach, within a mile of the blacktop, there were 4 different vehicles of assorted make and model, stuck in the only trail open against the dunes. People out pushing like crazy, not to get out and turned around so they could leave. Hell no, they were trying to get further! Mad Mad The park service should put an idiot alarm at the park entrance. Some poor sap was really screwed up at the 25 in a new 4x4 Dodge. Looked to be on the frame. Until there is a really high tide or storm surge of some kind driving will continue to suck Shocked Shocked so be careful, be smart, and be prepared for the worst. Exclamation Think ahead while driving on the beach right now. Ask yourself questions like---What is that guy heading toward me right now going to do if I stop here in the only trail passable? or-- Should I move over now on this flat area so that the dude 1/2 mile down the beach heading toward me can safely get by without getting us both stuck. Come on people, there is room for all of us if we think about what we are doing and using common sense. I am finished.......
The Trash Heap

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Add these PINS websites your required reading Reply with quote

http://www.nps.gov/pais/parkmgmt/upload/Compendium06-3.pdf
http://www.nps.gov/pais/planyourvisit/trafficandtraveltips.htm
ironmanstan
Exalted Ruler of Flour Bluff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

besides all that stuff i have a 40gal water can that i bring along with a siphon hose for rinsing off the saltwater, and taking a shower before crawling into the tent. it sure makes you feel better.
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ironmanstan wrote:
besides all that stuff i have a 40gal water can that i bring along with a siphon hose for rinsing off the saltwater, and taking a shower before crawling into the tent. it sure makes you feel better.

Hardhead has one of those ATV sprayers filled with water rigged up with a small ATV battery in the back of his truck and boy is that slick for showers. Water pressure and gently warm water.
When I had the Trooper with the basket mega warrior on top I planned to rig up a boat livewell or some plastic container that held water for a gravity fed shower. The cheap bag types work okay but that would be better.
iflyabeech
Annavillian in Training

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyler, did you ever see the shower rig Capt. Matt had on his 'burban? muah hahahaha
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iflyabeech wrote:
Tyler, did you ever see the shower rig Capt. Matt had on his 'burban? muah hahahaha

No I didn't but he did have lots of stuff on it.
iflyabeech
Annavillian in Training

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha it was a 200 gallon fertilizer tank with fresh water mounted on the roof of the 'burban. He had a swing out shower head with valve. It worked nice!! It sure made the truck top heavy though!
Big John

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife's aunt and uncle camp all the time ,and he is one of these old time german imigrants whit a phd in mechanical negineering.

He has a rig up on the jeep he built for taking a hot shower, witha pump that pushes water through the radiator heating it to a pleasant 105 degrees when the engine comes to its normal operational temperature.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> FAQ, Rules, Privacy and How To's All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: