Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Key West tarpon on the fly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RPool
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Key West tarpon on the fly Reply with quote

Had an opportunity to join some seasoned tarpon fly fishers in Key West in early June - what a gas! Lots to learn - longer casts, less time, rarely a chance to pick it up and throw again as they are moving, moving, moving. Had to make them eat, take the fly, hook them and land them. Never got to part 4 but I'm definitely going again. Also going to work on better aim with quicker casts in the 40-70 foot range. Very humbling but very instructive. Beautiful flats with carpets of turtle grass, pot holes and - oh yeah - bull sharks!
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds incredible! Thanks Doc!
Fersha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pretty outstanding video for anyone interested in Keys tarpon fishing. Made in the 70's, just before I moved permanently to the keys, the film shows several things, not to mention the huge numbers of fish back then. It was produced by Guy de la Valdene and might be available, either through Amazon, or Midcurrent. (Marshal Cutchin)

Note also:

Skiffs without poling platforms...That is one of the 16 ft. prototype Mavericks, owned at the time, by the film's maker, Guy de la Valdene. Jimmy Buffett bought it from him at some point and I actually guided out of that boat, when mine was down for some reason. (By then a poling platform had been added.) Jimmy and I fished together on occasions.

Fiberglass rods...look how thick they were at the butt end.

Fin Nor wedding cake reels. Those and Seamasters were all that were available back then.

All floating fly lines...I don't think intermediates were even available in line weights more than a 6 or 7. The next evolution in lines was the 10 ft. wet tip, for 10-12 wt. lines.

First time I watched this (c. 2012) it brought tears to my eyes, just remembering.

[img]https://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2480354&stc=1&d=1442589612[img][/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: