Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lefty Kreh has died. :(

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BayFly
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Lefty Kreh has died. :( Reply with quote

I hate to be the bearer of such bad news, but most of us fly fishers have at least read something or a book Lefty wrote or worked on.
bulldog1935

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll pony up. Long ago, listened to a Lefty tape on a long drive to fish the Rockies.
Though he referred to double haul as a "trick" you don't need (years later, proved him wrong on that, it's the only way to properly cast a parabolic taper rod) - I did learn one invaluable lesson from him - and this really is a trick - that works.
Anything you do with your wrist in a cast is wrong - breaking your wrist is English you add to the leader, and is the biggest cause of slapping the water on a backcast.
Lefty's tip that stuck with me for the next 30 years:
To avoid breaking your wrist in a cast, turn your wrist so that you can't see your thumbnail, i.e., reel toward your cheek - then it's not physically possible to break your wrist.

I've had great fishing experiences as a result of my long association with the GRTU board - you name them, I've fished with them or at least hung out with them, a couple on tv.
What we share in common, and Lefty was certainly president of the club - put a fly rod in his hand, and he turned into a kid - and that's what made him infectious.
and if you guys read your Ezekiel, there's fly fishing in New Jerusalem.
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad but he did live a long and interesting life. I have quite a few friends who got to meet him and said he was a nice down to earth guy.

R.I.P Lefty!
BayFly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyler wrote:
Sad but he did live a long and interesting life. I have quite a few friends who got to meet him and said he was a nice down to earth guy.

R.I.P Lefty!

We were fortunate to have him at our annual banquet for the Austin Flyfishers Club, and he not only spoke at the dinner, but spent several hours instructing all of us on our casting! What an humble guy, and down to earth person. We will miss him and his contributions to the sport of fishing, especially fly fishing.
lifeaquatic
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was a legend in every sense of the word. I met him once at a fly casting seminar. His humor and friendly personality was immediately apparent at first impression. I remember a demonstration where he used only the top section of a two piece rod to throw nearly 90 feet of line. Lots of experience, skill and talent to make it look effortless. He stressed that a double haul just requires you to keep your hands together and then on the haul all you need is a short pull down with your line hand - none of that full arm extension nonsense. All I can say is he had impeccable timing and technique for casting a line. He was a great ambassador for the sport of fly fishing; sorry to see him go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: