Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoked Pomp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Bbqing, Grilling, Frying, Recipes, and All Things Tasty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Central Scrutinizer
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Smoked Pomp Reply with quote

Had an old friend from Skidmore come over this weekend, to swap Harvey stories, and bond over some Yuengling Black&Tans that I brought back from my trip to Baton Rouge back in August [dropping the oldest off for her Master's at LSU!!!].

Had a whole, good sized pomp, so I smoked it with Alderwood, and paired it with some scalloped potatoes! A perfect finish to the cheese plate and spinach dip appetizer. The fish was PERFECT!!!

Plan on making a crawfish pie tonight. Should go well to finish off the last Black&Tan!
rawlbay
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have grilled, but never smoked, a whole pomp like that; usually smoke fillets. How's that work out? I'm sure its unctuous and delicious, because that's how pomps are, but do you get the smoke flavor in the meat, or does the skin keep it out?
Central Scrutinizer
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawlbay wrote:
but do you get the smoke flavor in the meat, or does the skin keep it out?

Moist (that's why I kept the skins on) and very flavorful (the slits help with the smoke infusion). I've grown quite fond of alderwood these days. And a squeeze of fresh lime juice at the finish was perfect!
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Central Scrutinizer wrote:
rawlbay wrote:
but do you get the smoke flavor in the meat, or does the skin keep it out?

Moist (that's why I kept the skins on) and very flavorful (the slits help with the smoke infusion). I've grown quite fond of alderwood these days. And a squeeze of fresh lime juice at the finish was perfect!

That's the wood of choice in the Pacific Northwest. It does a marvelous job on salmon too. It is nice to see that HEB sells alder chips.
lifeaquatic
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds tasty.

What would be the perfect ice cream to complement the meal? (Jack Palance movie challenge- 1991)

I'm thinking pistachio. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Bbqing, Grilling, Frying, Recipes, and All Things Tasty All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: