Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Skirt Steak too expensive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Bbqing, Grilling, Frying, Recipes, and All Things Tasty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sinker
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Skirt Steak too expensive Reply with quote

Today I dropped by my regular grocery store to purchase items to make steak fajitas.
I went into sticker shock to see Skirt Steak @$13.95 a pound. More than Ribeye. So I switched to petite Sirlion @$3.99.
Is anybody else seeing this nonsense?
shallowsport
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago, when I lived in Weslaco, the Hispanics were already complaining how the gringo had ruined their cheap cuts of meat. It only gets worse.
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shallowsport wrote:
Many years ago, when I lived in Weslaco, the Hispanics were already complaining how the gringo had ruined their cheap cuts of meat. It only gets worse.

I remember when skirt steak, flank steak etc. was cheap. Now it is my beloved chuck eyes that are now on the radar and moving up fast on the charts.
bd0202
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all beef that's gone up. Been an issue back home for a few years now. BBQ places selling 1 Lb of brisket at almost $20. Not sure what the reason is but the most common excuse I hear is drought.
kweber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we aint gettin' more on the hoof
instead of a deer lease... I just might sell a cow lease..
rawlbay
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyler wrote:
I remember when skirt steak, flank steak etc. was cheap. Now it is my beloved chuck eyes that are now on the radar and moving up fast on the charts.

I saw some chuck eyes at HEB the other day and I remembered this post - never really paid attention to that cut before. They were super cheap so I bought them and grilled em up. That cut makes a darn good steak. Like ribeyes for half the price! Should have stayed mum Tyler. This message will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Central Scrutinizer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a rack of Lamb ribs for LESS that pork spare ribs at HEB yesterday!!! $2.49 a lb. Total cost - $8.80.

Will post up how they compare, but the last time I did lamb shank kabobs, (marinated overnight in a yogurt/rosemary/oregano mix), it was terrific. I figured they were mis-priced, but snagged them just-the-same.
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Central Scrutinizer wrote:
I picked up a rack of Lamb ribs for LESS that pork spare ribs at HEB yesterday!!! $2.49 a lb. Total cost - $8.80.

Will post up how they compare, but the last time I did lamb shank kabobs, (marinated overnight in a yogurt/rosemary/oregano mix), it was terrific. I figured they were mis-priced, but snagged them just-the-same.

I "discovered" those a few years ago at Wal-Mart on Greenwood. They're cheap but I thought they were very fatty and not all that good. Let me know how yours turned out.
Texican

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HEB in AP normally has nice sized pieces of lamb breast for cheap. I try to swing by and pick up a few when I can. The distinct flavor of lamb lies in the fat and these fatty cuts are particularly strong. Some may be put off by it but I love it.

PS: Screw you Photobucket!
Texican

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyler wrote:

I "discovered" those a few years ago at Wal-Mart on Greenwood. They're cheap but I thought they were very fatty and not all that good. Let me know how yours turned out.

Beat me to it by two minutes! Laughing

PS: Screw you Photobucket!
Vern
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Those of us old enough to remember Reply with quote

Can remember when skirt/flank steak and brisket were 2 of the cheapest cuts of meat and mostly considered trash meat.
rodandroll

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's cheaper to buy ribeye for 8 or 9 dollars a pound and use it for fajitas.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... but it can muffle the sound!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Bbqing, Grilling, Frying, Recipes, and All Things Tasty All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: