Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off-set Smoker ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Bbqing, Grilling, Frying, Recipes, and All Things Tasty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shallowsport
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Off-set Smoker ? Reply with quote

Just got my 1st Off-set Smoker. Question; how do I best break in this pit? How hot & for how long should I do my first but? Do I want to cook anything in it on the first burn just to get some fat in the bottom?
Texican
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seasoning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR1Cf7RYdtA

Pork butts are more about temperature than time.
For pulled pork, smoking with a pit temperature of 225, you want to shoot for an internal meat temperature of 195-205.

PS: Screw you Photobucket!
Texican

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: CONGRATS ON THE NEW PIT!
What kind did you get?

shallowsport

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locally built by a friend of mine. Heavy guava steel pipe. Apron. size at: Smoking box 45" and coal box at 20". Steel wheels.
This is going to open up a whole new cooking dimension for me as I have never owned a smoker before. Brisket - Ribs - Pork Butt - Etc., etc. Looking forward to learning. All tips excepted.
Texican

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that is a good friend to have Very Happy

There are tons of BBQ related videos on Youtube and I have literally spent hours going from one to the next.

Check out http://amazingribs.com/ for a LOT of information on pretty much anything BBQ including how-tos on different types and cuts of meat.
I just finished smoking my second turkey today (spatchcock style) using the method and dry brining technique found there. Some of the best turkey I have ever had.
Full disclosure: In addition to the dry brine, I also injected the bird.

kweber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell me paint was not applied on the inside....
in fact, I see no reason for paint on the outside...
ironmanstan
Exalted Ruler of Flour Bluff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use spray olive oil on the inside makes a nice seasoned steel. Any oil will do the trick 350 does the trick just like seasoning a cast iron frying pan in the oven. I'm sure by now its nice and black on the inside. Very Happy
ThomasCarpenter
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inside your fire box if the bottom is flat. You can lay fireplace liner brick or a 2-3" layer of sand in it. This will help from the heat burning a box out by 5-10 years. Once you burn the box for the first time and get the moisture out of the sand assuming you used sand. Put som old fry grease into the sand. Not to the point of standing. You just want it to essentially stick to the sand closest to the steel. This will keep from moisture sitting there. We know that's not a good thing. You will want to run a fire on top of the oil/sand mixture prior to putting food on the grill. You can tell from the smell when the oil has stopped burning off.

Breaking in the top is easy. Use fry grease from a batch of chicken/chicken fry just not fish. You can take this and rub the inside down. I run a 4.5 gallon fryer and will run around 5 fry cycles with one batch of oil. By that time the seasoning have leached into the oil very well. It is readily available at my house don't know about yours.

If the oil id filtered or has been setting where you can pull off the top. Run down to the hardware store and get a industrial spray bottle ( this is a little messier but its fun if you like to pay with a squirt bottle). I twill allow you to use a copious amount even in the hard to reach areas. Take the pit up to 300-350. This will help the first coat stick. After running for the first hour. open it back up and spray it down again. Let it go for another 1.5-2 hours and let temp fall.

If you have oil resting in the bottom leave it alone. It will not hurt a thing. Oil and metal are eternal friends.

Next time you fire it up your ready to go. After you use your pit for a while. If the interior walls begin to dry out. Grab your spray bottle and hit it again. Some pits will and some pits will not. It has some to do with how much you use it and, what exactly you cook when you do. It will also have to do with the temps that you run at and with which meat and the volume of it compared to your pit.

It is hard to keep the black "GUM" stuck on the inside if you only run 3-5 times a year. Wear it out and have a cold beverage for me!
bulldog1935

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my side box smoker - here with a pork roast, loin, and Polish wedding sausage from Pollacks in Falls City

I think the best food I ever had was a javelina that spent 24 hours on the smoker
Texican

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog1935 wrote:
Polish wedding sausage from Pollacks in Falls City

Best. Sausage. EVER!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Bbqing, Grilling, Frying, Recipes, and All Things Tasty All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: