Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coal the Lab
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxthelab
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Coal the Lab Reply with quote

Well fellers, Coal the Lab (Max the Lab's son) is reaching the end of his earthly journey, bone cancer in his front leg, spread to lungs. If he can hold out til next Wednesday, we plan on taking him back for one more trip to the beach. He loved to "fish" in the surf, chasing baitfish with his ears tilted (initially used a word for rooster that got changed to Sheboygan). Spadefish at the jetties also REALLY kept his interest, causing the Mrs. to keep a white knuckled death grip on his collar. Have a pic of him nose to nose with a dolphin in the Lydia Ann. Gonna miss my fishin buddy, but it's been a good long (11 yr) run.
landlocked beachbum
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man......... I hate to hear this. Crying or Very sad

Had my share of labs, plus a couple others. On my third lab now at 5 years and super healthy. I feel for you brother. The end of their life is the hardest thing I've ever had to do.....

IMHO, People who care enough about their pooches (and consider them traveing buddies and family members) to lament their passing and honor their lives on a forum, are the ones who REALLY LOVE their pooches.

Y'all are in my thoughts and prayers, and best wishes to you and yours.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits". Albert Einstein
ironmanstan
Exalted Ruler of Flour Bluff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it from someone who has been there a few times. He will always be with you, you will never forget him. 11 is a good life time an we can see Max has a great friend or parent as I like to think. Sounds like Max is a GREAT dog. I love my dogs and Yogi who is 13 is showing his age and he will be a hard one to lose I will age 10 years when he crosses the bridge. Spend all the time you can with your bud. I know your pain. Please take my advise get another pup as soon as you can it will help greatly.
shallowsport

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a hard thing to go through. Prayers extended your way. Bless the good times.
Mel
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading this brought back some good memories of my fishing dog that I lost last year. I took her on several trips that I thought would be her last so maybe you will have a few more good trips and then you will have the memories forever.
maxthelab

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ironmanstan wrote:
Take it from someone who has been there a few times. He will always be with you, you will never forget him. 11 is a good life time an we can see Max has a great friend or parent as I like to think. Sounds like Max is a GREAT dog. I love my dogs and Yogi who is 13 is showing his age and he will be a hard one to lose I will age 10 years when he crosses the bridge. Spend all the time you can with your bud. I know your pain. Please take my advise get another pup as soon as you can it will help greatly.

Yes Sir, been down this road several times and it never gets easier. Just recalled a memory from when he was a pup, and we were fishing north of Goose Island. The popping cork got near the boat and over the gunwale he went. The Mrs. was panicking about the hook, but I pulled it up out of the way and he swam right back to the swim step.
Goodeye

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel ya brother! It's one of the hardest things to go through! Focus on the good times! You can't beat a good ole lab!
[/img]
awesum
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about Coal.

When time comes get him cremated and buy him a nice urn and you can take him to the beach or fishing with you whenever you want his company.
lars
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My black lab was dx with bone cancer before she was 2 and we started MEGA dosing her with Essiac and 10 yrs later, she is still here. The vet calls her the miracle dog. When she was dx, it had already spread throughout her body and even had blood in her stools. Today, she takes one pill daily. So sorry about your dog, they are truly like family.
maxthelab

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks lars, I have to take my yellow lab in tomorrow for her annual checkup and vaccinations, will inquire about Essiac, that option was not presented to me. It was a pretty poor prognosis, but at this point I will try anything. As of now we will take him for one more ferry trip and as long as he can tolerate, a trip to the beach.
maxthelab

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it's on. Coal gets his last trip to the beach tomorrow. If I have to, I will carry him to the surf (all 94 lbs of him). It's probably selfish of us, but we want him to get salty one more time. If he sees baitfish in the surf, that will be a bonus, even though he can't chase them anymore. Thanks for tolerating me post about this ordeal, it seems to help take the sting out of this whole messed up situation.
ironmanstan
Exalted Ruler of Flour Bluff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this to my wife and she started crying. But not me sniffle, sniffle. Have a great day at the beach . Just incase where are you going to be?
maxthelab

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down by Fish Pass, we call it dog beach, not sure if that's the correct name. We like it down there, less crowds.
landlocked beachbum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxthelab wrote:
OK, it's on. Coal gets his last trip to the beach tomorrow. If I have to, I will carry him to the surf (all 94 lbs of him). It's probably selfish of us, but we want him to get salty one more time. If he sees baitfish in the surf, that will be a bonus, even though he can't chase them anymore. Thanks for tolerating me post about this ordeal, it seems to help take the sting out of this whole messed up situation.

Dude.... No problem here!!! My third dog back was a Black Lab/Shepherd mix; a true Einstein dog! The bravest, smartest, most loyal, never quit dog I've ever known. I never duck hunted before having her, but she was such a natural that I was invited to go by an ex friend who thought he was god's gift to duck hunting, but was too cheap and self absorbed to buy and train a dog! Evil or Very Mad

She made to almost 15, and had "German Shapherd's disease" for the last 9 months, with useless hind quarters. On the "last day", I loaded her up in the truck and drive her out to her old stomping grounds at the lake, and then "wheel barreled" her down to the water, holding her hips up. She took off swimming and was in retriever heaven, even though she had some trouble turning because she couldn't use her tail as a rudder anymore. I swear...... Watching her almost made me call it all off, but I knew that it was way past time to end the suffering of a poor pooch that LOVED to run, swim and hunt, but had done nothing but lay on her bed for 9 months. When it was all said and done, she was with me for 1/3 of my life at that time.

You're doing the right thing, and we know what you're feeling and going through....... One of life's true toughest times. Best wishes and happier tomorrows......

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits". Albert Einstein
maxthelab

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxthelab wrote:

Just got back home and I did have to carry him to the surf. He didn't get to see any bait in the surf, but he did get to chill on the beach in the shade and watch gulls fly by. Didn't even take a rod, although some guys did offer to let me use one, but this trip was not about me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: