Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PINS 9/8-9/9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Towboat Trash
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: PINS 9/8-9/9 Reply with quote

"I am free as the breeze,
Free to wander anywhere I please.
There's no bars, there's no walls.
Islands beckon and fortune calls.
But all this world and the seven seas,
Couldn't call me away, if I could stay."

--Jim Ed Brown, 1970

Every done something that ya just knew wasn't a great idea? Yep! That just mighta been this week. After the busy holiday weekend and all, the forecasts persistently showed unfavorable conditions for the lower Island. Translation? Ninety percent of the time when a slight increase in winds is shown, the winds start howling and the surf gets blown out! Evil or Very Mad With that in mind, I forewent all the shark crap and ridiculous nonsense in lieu of taking the camper down Island for a strictly epic trout expedition and 58 degree at night in the AC trip!! Laughing To the beach!!! Surprised

And armed with what would prove to be an incredible understatement of beach beatdown legend!! Wednesday afternoon and night is what we're focusing on here.

Looking good so far!

On the sand!!! To the half way point!! Lookit the ground clearance on that thing! Gonna need it where this rig is going!!!

And before I knew it, without any stops to fish, I was there! With base camp set up at the half way point, it was time to hit the road Jack!!!

But not without some glory shots first!!!!

You @#$^ right!! There will BE NO sleeping in the dirt and eating sand burgers this go 'round doggonit!!

Might even be some bubble baths!!!!

Or hot showers!

And there will be NO outside toilet action either!! Twisted Evil Laughing

Or afternoon naps!!!

Ok, on the road and off to work!

Heeeeere we go....

And the winds were still SE at 14 knots or so, water a little murky north and a little clearer south.

I hunted out some right size mullet, filled the livewell, and got ready to lure fish and use em as I worked my way southwards.

And thankfully noticed this! Guess I need two locking pins now! That coulda been not good....

And finding some good clear water, put a new silver spoon to work.

And just worked every hole I could find, in the truck-out the truck-in the truck-out the truck...I set a new record.

And even explored a hobbit hole or two.

And several hours later took a break for 5, gathered my thoughts, pulled some new lures together, and readied topwaters for later.

And enjoyed the feeling of the hunt...of the searching and the roaming that goes with trout fishing...

And the view...

And you know when you ever see me barefoot...that I must be getting serious on those trout!!

And I found a few GIANT black quahogs. Very similar to the ocean quahog of the North Atlantic, I wondered...could these be as old as those? Some of those have been aged at over 400 years, and some of the shell studies of old Padre have documented no NEW source of shells for the area, making what's there very very old.... Shocked

And in one deep 5 foot gut, I found a new wreck. Most of it under the bottom, a fair amount stuck up, with this picture being the best I took. Time to fish this day, no exploring!

Onwards!

But the only thing biting was skipjacks, whiting, and undersized reds.

So I hit a new hole!

And switched from soft plastics to topwaters!

I just love a Spook. Top Dog can @#$# it! Too little and light for this blow!!

Hooked up!

Look at that hole.... Shocked Oh yeah....

And I heard some good tunes rolling to the next hole. Some real good ones.

Yep, I sure did! Love Porter. Bet Jerks Bentley don't even know who he is.

Somebody need to shave that sheep..... Twisted Evil Shame. Laughing Barber will have to charge extra...have a shop vac on standby...

And eventually 20 miles south it became time to topwater it all back north to the music of the waves and the light of the setting sun.

Ridin!

Ole' Kronks...I see ya peaking...

"I got in a little trouble
At the county seat
Lord, they put me in the jail house
For loafin' on the street
Well, the judge said guilty
He made his point
He said, "Forty five dollars
Or thirty days in the joint"

"That'll be cash on the barrelhead, son
You can take your choice
You're twenty one
No money down
No credit plan
No time to chase you
'Cause I'm a busy man"

One good old tune! No Jerks Bentley here!

And after more ladyfish and undersized red invasions, I was back at the home away from home to long rod stick fish.

With live mullet!!!! Surprised

My dear wife bought me two new sealines for a darn birthday gift!! Boy, am I blessed! The old sealines lasted me years, I'm sure these will as well.

And we moved up a step to some keepers.

Greedy suckers. I always catch em right before dark, it's like their night time snack to gobble the last thing they see before night falls.

And I kept one for later!

And after a while, called it a wrap around 10. And cooked cheesesticks before dinner!! Laughing

Completely ridiculous.

And watched the weather from my 58 degree, three pillow sleep palace.

And up at 530 am, made the morning's coffee and hit the road!

And after unproductive topwater fishing (more undersized reds), I caught some more skipjack and mullet and went back to work setting out two long rods at every lure spot I would fish, as I usually do. I mostly always fish like this, why only throw lures when the first thing you do can be to put a cut bait on in a hole?

And swapped lures.

Oh, thankyou Roy's. I strictly avoid your wall of lures because of the temptation that resides there! Such a selection of grandiose beauty! Alas, sometimes I give in... Confused

Onwards!

And around 10am the winds quite noticeably picked up. And picked up BIG time. We were quickly at 18 knots or so, with an increase inevitable as the sea breeze factor kicked in. I cooked a burger and got a weather forecast down south.

And once back at camp, found the South wind that had been blowing at 24 knots straight up the beach had filled the entire beach in with blowsand and blown the sand right away from the bottom of the camper supports, covered the generator with 10 inches of sand, and starting erasing what was left of any type of road. I made a test run back north on the high and middle road about 7 miles and the truck was bogging in 4 wheel, taking 3000 rpm to get through the thick of it, and running warm. That was it. Time to load the hog back up and get down low and take full advantage of the 2000 low water to get up and off this doggone Island before I end up a permanent resident of the low 30's!! Surprised

And that was that.

And as usual, upon hitting town, the current NOAA forecast for way down south was completely inaccurate and any poor soul offshore was likely on their knees in their own vomit praying for hard ground beneath them.

Sorry for the lack of fish, but hey-I tried! The art of lure fishing is an art for a reason, and unless we all get 200 bucks to go blow on croaker, and 500 for one of those cooler/aerator set ups, then lures it will be! Besides, Ralph would have my arse if I went to the dark side. Lol. Ya'll take care.

--Colin

www.padreislandexpeditions.com

Last edited by Towboat Trash on Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
shallowsport
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!! Great adventure - love these posts.
sheepdog
Finger Mullet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report like always. Even though you said: "no sandy burger", I just knew I would see a sandburger pic Very Happy
Frederick dunphey
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome report and photo's as always. Thanks
lifeaquatic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Spacecraft, um-hum Starcraft, sure looks comfy. Better than a tent cot, you don't say. Laughing

Enjoyed your report and wishin' I had a report to post.
deputydawg
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it!!! That's a heck of a upgrade from the tent cot!!! Very Happy
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deputydawg wrote:

I was wondering when age would catch up to him!
gut bucket
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool pics and read tow boat! but the country music even better!!!!! THE LOUVIN BORTHERS AND OL PORTER WAGONER, ALL YOUR MISSING WAS A LIL GARY STEWART! and a cold one.
mesquitecountry
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always a fan of these posts!!
Texican

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyler wrote:
deputydawg wrote:

I was wondering when age would catch up to him!

HAH! I was thinking the same thing! Razz

So TBT uses swivels on his lures.
Interesting.
Honestly, so do I. Just too anxious to get fishing, too lazy to constantly keep retying and too stubborn to learn how to properly tie an appropriate knot.

PS: Screw you Photobucket!
Towboat Trash

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gus! How you been? Bout time for you to come on down for the mullet run soon! Boy, sometimes I use a swivel, sometimes I don't. On spinning reels you try and compensate for line twist, on bait casters ya don't-and then there's the clarity of the water and would one be better off with just a Rapala knot, and then there's the braid (that I use on my spinning reels) to fluorocarbon knot....or would one just be better off putting a swivel there too like some swear by.... Shocked Shocked Laughing

Yep-that's fishing for ya! Thanks fellas, best fishing this week!

www.padreislandexpeditions.com
Texican

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towboat Trash wrote:
Boy, sometimes I use a swivel, sometimes I don't. On spinning reels you try and compensate for line twist, on bait casters ya don't-and then there's the clarity of the water and would one be better off with just a Rapala knot, and then there's the braid (that I use on my spinning reels) to fluorocarbon knot....or would one just be better off putting a swivel there too like some swear by.... Shocked Shocked Laughing

An excellent, logical answer. I understand. Thank you sir.

BOY... between the fishing, boat rebuilding, shrimping, work, honey doos and the time it takes to compose epic posts... WHEN DO YOU FIND TIME TO SLEEP?!?
Towboat Trash wrote:
Hey Gus! How you been? Bout time for you to come on down for the mullet run soon!

Soon my good man. Soon. RT permitting.
Crying or Very sad

PS: Screw you Photobucket!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: