Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Trip to Pins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
o_brother
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: First Trip to Pins Reply with quote

Made our first trip ever down PINS yesterday with my wife, youngest daughter and her boyfriend. I have bay fished for 15 yrs down here and tried surf fishing between Corpus and Port A a time or two. The surf fishing I have tried was just tossing some lures when the kids were playing in the sand but nothing more than that. I have followed other surf fishing post on here and have always thought about making a serious trip to just go surf fishing.

Well, I will say up front we had a blast..... I picked up some live Piggy perch and some frozen finger mullet from Cos Way and went through Pins gate about 7 am. We drove down to about mile marker 10 and saw some birds working the water. We pulled over and tried wading the first gut. After about 30 mins with nothing biting we loaded up and headed farther south. Found Yarbough Cut and went over to the bay side and found some guys coming off the water. They said it was slow all morning with only a few black drum on shrimp. A rain shower come over so we headed back to the surf. Went down between mile markers 20 and 25 and set up on some more birds working the first gut. My wife caught two reds both right at 25" within about 10 mins. My daughter and her boyfriend caught numerous whiting, skip jacks and smalll Jack Creville. We worked that spot for about 2 hrs with them catching something on every cast. It was about 3 pm by then so we called it a day and headed out. The water was clear, no weed so the biggest thing to deal with was the wind but wasn't bad for down here. We broght home two reds and 6 whiting all about 14". My wife is baking them in the oven as I send this report..... Already planning the next trip...

Towboat Trash

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had your bay knowledge. Never put the time in that I imagine you have! Glad ya'll had such a good first trip. Many more to ya and congrats on the catches.

www.padreislandexpeditions.com
hickroots07
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great trip! Thanks for the report! It's always nice to be with family.
cabrego
Pony Mullet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report...do you think 2wd could handle the beach that far south right now?
Bill0705
Finger Mullet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2wd could make it to the 20s. I havent gone further so i couldnt tell you what its like past em
BayFly
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love your photo "Towboat Trash!
Towboat Trash wrote:
I wish I had your bay knowledge. Never put the time in that I imagine you have! Glad ya'll had such a good first trip. Many more to ya and congrats on the catches.
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great and thanks for the report!
Flounder_Slayer88
Pony Mullet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like some good eatin' reds in that box!
o_brother

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cabrego wrote:
Thanks for the report...do you think 2wd could handle the beach that far south right now?

We were able to drive on the packed wet sand past 20 mile marker in 2 wd. As long as the tide doesn't make you use the high road you would be ok..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: