Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Massive PINS Hammerhead...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oz
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Massive PINS Hammerhead... Reply with quote

:::: To clear up any info/rumors/stories and post a short memo of validity with this public announcement ::::

Yes the internet rumors are true. Early yesterday morning Michael G Shindle and myself were there in the late night hours as one of our coast's truly perfect predators picked up a large bait on Scott Nelson's 80W. It was an eerie, methodical battle with a fish of mythological proportions. With uncanny teamwork, come sunrise we beach a massive 13' 3" Great Hammerhead - with a mammoth girth, one of the largest ever taken from the surf west of the Mississippi.

And as with the internet rumors, yes this shark had died. Around 2-1/2 hours into the fight after seeing the spool at least 3 separate times on an 80W full of braid, the shark had wrapped up in the leader on the final run after bringing the fish back in to roughly 800yds out. This had been a most unfortunate situation and eventually led to a break-off after trying to unsuccessfully winch the fish in just several minutes later. In a perhaps illogical decision of lunacy, Scott and I voyaged out in the kayaks in pure darkness in pursuit and actually found the leader float nearly a half mile out and re-spliced the line back to his rod and begun the process once again.

There were very tedious attempts back and forth at doing everything possible to get this fish freed and unraveled with no avail in the increasingly wind chopped seas. In the end, the mammoth fish lost more than the battle and unfortunately paid the ultimate price. There is nothing that anyone wanted more than Scott, Mike, and myself to be able to do the unthinkable and release this fish alive which would have been an unrivaled accomplishment off our coast.

Shortly after we quickly decided to reach out to various scientific institutions that had interest in obtaining this fish in the name of science. We are fortunate to say that this shark, in particular portions of the vertebrate and various tissue samples, will provide invaluable research for some time to come. While the 3 of us did everything humanly possible to prevent the loss of this fish, we should all understand the sometimes random and uncontrollable consequences in the sport of shark and big game fishing. While Scott himself showed emotion about the loss of the impressive and majestic specimen of nature, he should be nothing but extremely proud of this monumental feat. Both Mike and myself are extremely grateful for being there helping and witnessing both the triumph and heartache of something we will likely never see again in our lifetimes. Congrats Scott on truly an astonishing catch of a lifetime my friend and in addition a most memorable experience with only the best intentions by all involved.

- Oz

Some amazing photos will be posted on Extreme Coast in the coming days.

Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I remember fishing north of the sticks one time with Scott and Mr. Ralph when Scott was paddling out a bait into the second or third gut. Ralph said Scott was dropping his bait out too far. About that time we looked out into the first gut and saw a huge dorsal fin about 18 inches tall knowing it was a big hammerhead. Ralph was right.
mansfieldjetties
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to read the report.
jeff89
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John and I saw you and the EC OGs as we rolled down early Friday morning. The conditions were just too good to pass up. It was epic down there.

Big respect to you and Old Salt and Shindle. We unfortunately have first hand experience with Hammers and their 'fight to the death' characteristic.
ironmanstan
Exalted Ruler of Flour Bluff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shark that big and old should make for some good research. I'm sure your efforts were the best to save the big guy. I wonder how old a shark that big is? IMS
16stoner
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job! TFTR!
Old salt
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Oz has put up some great pictures:

http://extremecoast.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22588
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: