Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PINS Question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RANCHOGRANDE
Finger Mullet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: PINS Question Reply with quote

Hey guys I have a question about PINS I was wondering can you take a travel trailer down to pins past the 5mm if so how far do you think I can go. I am planning on fishing sharkathon and was thinking about taking travel trailer down any info is greatly appreciated thanks.
Jetty Bandit
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad idea in my opinion... you most likely wont be able to turn around depending on how long your trailer is...
RANCHOGRANDE
Finger Mullet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think it be okay around the 5mm or just all around bad anywhere. I have never been out there that is why I asking for info hate to have problems
Jetty Bandit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually people park campers north of the 5 mm... If I was you I would stay somewhere in that area!
RANCHOGRANDE
Finger Mullet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for the helpful info I appreciate it. Is the fishing decent in that area?
RedSniper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta agree with Jetty. Past the 5mm it gets real, especially if your talking about turning a trailer around.

The conditions are actually pretty good "right now" that can change week to week though.
deputydawg
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen it done but i probably wouldn't do it unless conditions were just perfect. To easy to get in a serious bind down there. Last sharkathon some POS left a pop up camper down there!
poops2260
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy has been pulling a pop up down pins for years now. We always fish the 30s but have been way further south.
Jetty Bandit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a difference between a pop-up and a travel trailer... Especially during sharkathon.
RANCHOGRANDE
Finger Mullet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is turning around difficult due to sand or because of congestion with other people
deputydawg
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetty Bandit wrote:
There's a difference between a pop-up and a travel trailer... Especially during sharkathon.

Thats a fact!

I don't have any beach pictures of it right now but heres what we use. We call it the "PINS palace". Laughing Very cozy for me and momma or by myself.

txscrambler
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

16 max. No way in hell you are getting passed the 17-25 unless the tide is ridiculously low. I saw a trailer get buried in the twenties last year. Driving was horrible. Three days later I came back and they were still there but had unhooked the truck. Oh, and if you want to piss off hundreds of people, get your vehicle stuck in the 20s during sharkathon. Good way to meet lots of people while blocking the main road.
justletmein

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it done. The answer to your question is: It depends... Lots of factors here, driving conditions at the time. Your experience with the beach. Your experience with the camper. How large/heavy the camper is. Etc... Too many details... but if you're asking the question my gut reaction is to say it's not such a good idea. Having said that, there are sharks between the sticks and the 5mm, if you have to have the camper just plan on fishing North and go as far as you're comfortable and make the best of it.
horse51

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justletmein wrote:
I've seen it done. The answer to your question is: It depends... Lots of factors here, driving conditions at the time. Your experience with the beach. Your experience with the camper. How large/heavy the camper is. Etc... Too many details... but if you're asking the question my gut reaction is to say it's not such a good idea. Having said that, there are sharks between the sticks and the 5mm, if you have to have the camper just plan on fishing North and go as far as you're comfortable and make the best of it.

x2
HungerBuster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken my Fleetwood Evolution E3 down into the mid-twenties. The trailer weighs 4500 lbs when loaded, so more than most ultralight TTs. I'm just going to say one thing: if you stay in the ruts with a trailer of that weight, if your tow vehicle is heavy enough (F250, 8500 pounds loaded in my case), if your tires on the TRAILER are big enough (footprint freakin MATTERS) and if you can turn around (see above), it really isn't that big of a deal. The problem most folks run into is they have cheap, load bearing tires on their trailers (read: butter knives in soft sand that simply plow the sand; you are now stuck and your tow vehicle buried to the doors). You gotta put real tires on the trailer that can float and turn, instead of sink and plow. Anyway, that's what I've learned over the past seven years or so. And learned the hard way at times Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: