Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FYI Reading the beach

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cj8mule
Pony Mullet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: FYI Reading the beach Reply with quote

Hey guys! Doing well in Southern Maryland.... I sure do miss PINS. Oh well, we're almost done with this military stuff and will be back there soon enough. In the meantime, there is pretty good fishing around the Chesapeake. (Although, I had to build a bigger boat Very Happy )

I ran across this post of an old salty guy up here. He explains and illustrates beach rips, cuts, and structures better than I have ever seen. Hope you enjoy!

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/537410/reading-the-water-again
OSOFARAWAY
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info, Thanks!
Poppadunn
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Sticky material ? Reply with quote

Any way to make a "sticky" out of this ? ?
hickroots07
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some great info. Thanks for sharing!
gongora

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good read. Thanks.
wasmussen
Finger Mullet

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the bay getting deeper more quickly then here. I lived in the upper C.bay for many years. Ocean city and Assateague Island were my favorites.

Thanks for the info on reading water. Hope you enjoy Maryland while you are there. Seafood is great there too.
Ranch Fairy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all who want to read the beach. This guy is great, pictures are great. But NOTHING beats practical experience. Go walk into the water when you see something and find out what it is. Then walk back to the beach and make sure you understand what you see. You should spend a couple days just jacking around trying to figure out what you see.

I remember 15 or more years ago, Captain Billy and I were down Iland. He mentioned some feature he could see from the beach, (he showed me so many things I don't remember what it was).
Anyway, I said "whatever, I can't see anything but waves". He literally grabbed me by the collar and dragged me out into the gut and gave me the same advice.

Learning to read off shore sand bar irregularities and rip tides can pay off big time for you shark fishermen.
""Go look to see, see to believe, then when you'll look, you'll know what you see, you can believe."
See, life really is all math.
Rebecca of Sunnybrookfarm
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good advice Ranch Fairy, and I'll also add a bit of sage advice I've learned over the years, and it's PERSPECTIVE....you can't always see a bowl or pinch very well from your front seat of the vehicle down by the water line...if you think you see something interesting, get out and walk up on the dunes to get above the area...you can see a whole lot more with altitude...

and then after looking at a few spots this way, you'll be able to read things a lot more clear as you move up and down the beach...
becky

ziacatcher wrote:
However I bet if you were fishing naked Ranger Rick would have a problem with that
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: