Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

South of BHP 17 July

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magadorm
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: South of BHP 17 July Reply with quote

Hit up the beach south of BHP this afternoon. It was windy out there. Also, there was a strong longshore current running north. And there was a bunch of seaweed. And a bunch of hardheads, was getting hardhead double headers. Tried fishing for some reds but my pole would wash out before i could get it to the holder. So, settled just using a pompano rig with dead shrimp. Ended the afternoon with 2 small whiting and was able to get a few ladyfish on a vudu shrimp. Also, watch your kids out there. I stepped on a stingray but luckily I jumped just right and my left foot landed just right, but on the barb, that it didn't hurt me. Plus, it helps I have extremely thick calluses right where I landed.
AnmRanch
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a rough day. Thanks for the heads up on the rays. Glad you didn't get popped by it.
landlocked beachbum
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

DOOOOD........

That would have SUCKED!!!! Glad you came through unscathed!

Shuffle, shuffle, shuffle.........

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits". Albert Einstein
magadorm
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was shuffling, but because of the strong current the edges of the sandbars had some holes. The ray was right in one of them.
landlocked beachbum
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gottcha pal. I've had that same experience a couple of times before, also while shuffling, or at least trying to. It's spooky....... The adrenalin doesn't rush until you put 2+2 together, but that only takes a fraction of a second! Shocked

When I moved from Hawaii back to Corpus in 1972, I was SORELY disappointed in the surf, or better stated, the lack thereof. Coming from surfing heaven to The coastal bend, well...... Anyway, over there I had to worry about razor sharp coral and lava rocks under the water, spiny sea urchins all over the reefs, BIG freaking Tiger Sharks, Portuguese Man O War and just the power of the waves themselves. None of these save the Tigers and Man O War exist in Texas, but in Hawaii I never gave a second thought to stingrays. Also, this was before surf-leashes, so when I lost my board I'd have to swim or wade in to retrieve my board. I NEVER let me feet purposely touch bottom in Hawaii except on a beach break with sand bottom, which was rare. In Corpus they (rays) were always on my mind, and at least one if not both of my close calls came while retrieving my board! Embarassed

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits". Albert Einstein
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: