Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shoalwater boat reviews needed...UPDATE - Purchased the Cat!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
5moreminutes
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Shoalwater boat reviews needed...UPDATE - Purchased the Cat! Reply with quote

Well looks like I am still in the boat market and the 19' shoalwater cat has caught my attention.

Other boat I have in mind is the Dargel Scout 186.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Looks like I will power it with E-tec 130.

This will be my first new boat purchase so I don't want to just rush into it.

Thanks
Jesse

Last edited by 5moreminutes on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
joejoe7716
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoalwater boats are Sick!!!!!!!

I owned a legend 22 for several years and that thing was amazing!!!
Ran super shallow and handled chop very well.

Caught tons of fish and even been 25 miles offshore!!!

Highly recommend shoalwater......
ironmanstan
Exalted Ruler of Flour Bluff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoalwater is fine however a Majek rfl will run and float shallower but ride rougher in the chop and is built to last. It all depends on what you like and what looks good to you, kinda like a car. I bought for function and durability......I don't go out when its rough I like pretty days and low chop on the water. Most folks that have fished with me are amazingly surprized with the Majek. I may get an Extreme one day but right now I'm satisfied.
bigfish_7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the e-tec
TexGator
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too like the shoalwater but I'm with IMS. for shallow water I prefer the Majek. I also like the Pathfinders but it does not sound like what you are looking for. Good luck and let us know what you get.
FB PHIL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 19' Explorer/w130 Johnson tunnel (same hull design)and it had a good ride in the hvyr wave action and was plenty shallow running, but it was relatively slow and a gas hog. I had an 18' Stoner/w140 prior to this and it was alot better boat, except when it was rough and heading into the chop.
the troutman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a 18 Shoalwater years ago, best boat I ever owned. Rock solid, shallow, and roomy. I have always been a Shoalwater fan since.

The Troutman

Love em and leave em, otherwise known as Catch and Release!
O.B.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I have been in a 14.5 and a 16 shoalwater cat. Not the 19 but the 16 is the same hull, just shorter. Awesome boat! Runs skinny and floats skinny. built well, BUT they sit really low in the water and the back of the boat is notorious for taking on water. I'm talking about 6" or more. I would definitely look into that if you want to keep your feet dry in the winter.I had a buddy just sell his 16' that being one of the reasons for selling it. Good luck.
5moreminutes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.B. wrote:
Personally I have been in a 14.5 and a 16 shoalwater cat. Not the 19 but the 16 is the same hull, just shorter. Awesome boat! Runs skinny and floats skinny. built well, BUT they sit really low in the water and the back of the boat is notorious for taking on water. I'm talking about 6" or more. I would definitely look into that if you want to keep your feet dry in the winter.I had a buddy just sell his 16' that being one of the reasons for selling it. Good luck.

3rd time I heard this and that's what I was curios about.

I like the 186 Dargel Scout - 1 its cheaper but not by much and I like how the center counsel sits higher.

I will still keep looking as I don't want to rush into this. I honestly haven't looked at the Majek line as I heard its a rough ride with chop. I will consider though.

Thanks so far.
lagunaroy
Pony Mullet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Shoalwater boat reviews needed... Reply with quote

5moreminutes wrote:
Well looks like I am still in the boat market and the 19' shoalwater cat has caught my attention.

Other boat I have in mind is the Dargel Scout 186.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Looks like I will power it with E-tec 130.

This will be my first new boat purchase so I don't want to just rush into it.

Thanks
Jesse

This is my 4th year with the 19 cat. My neighbor has a majek RFL. Our across the the canal neighbor has a Dargel Skout. All good boats.

In my opinion you need to consider how often will you fish, where will you fish, and how big is your budget? If you are going to run to Rocky Slough 3 or 4 times a week then you might look at a different style of boat.

All boats are different, I went from V hull to scooter to the cat. We now go for comfort as we get older. Long runs we go in mine, shorter runs anybody's works.

I had a 130 etec on mine but just recently repowered to the 135HO. World of difference. Lots more torque.

Talk to Carol and Manuel at Portland Marine about your wants and needs.

If money is no object a SCB with a 300 XS will get you to Baffin in 23 minutes. Good luck!
5moreminutes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will call Portland marine. I had not explored their line up. Thanks.

And your the second person that said I go with SCB - but my check book does not agree.

My budget is topping out at $35k.

I would like to have the ability to run south to land cut.

The shoal water is nice but looks like the dargel scout is taking a slight lead.
jebsays

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've ran a 23' Shoalwater Cat for a few years now with a Honda 130 on it. It's proven to be an excellent boat for a variety of conditions. Does great running shallow and does great in rougher chop - handles CC Bay fine. Very dry ride and doesn't beat you to death when the water is less than perfect.

The 23' has higher gunwales than the 19'.

Between the Dargel and the 19' Shoalwater, the Dargel will have a wider beam, which is something worth considering.
misterwill
Pony Mullet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a 96 model Dargel Skout 186. It is my first boat. I have the Honda 130 four stroke and it has been very reliable. What I don't like about my boat after owning it is the flat front shape like a Jon Boat. It makes for a really bumpy ride when it gets choppy. I also don't like that it takes in water from the rear, it sits really low in the water, of course that may be because I have a heavy motor and a casting deck on the rear.
What I do like is it is a shallow running son of a gun and a lof of space to walk around in. I like that I don't have to turn sideways to get to the front of the boat with the cast net and I like the large front deck.
I hope that helps.
MW
flounder daddy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These looks pretty nice as well. Heard good things about them. I was looking at a baby cat, then found the scooter I have now.

http://www.transportboats.com/
karankawa
Pony Mullet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Boat recommendstions Reply with quote

FYI ,we had our majek Texas skiff stolen about a year and a half ago. We loved this boat, it ran skinny, got up in 15" of water, and never left us stranded.
It had a 70 2 stroke Yamaha fron Ronnie's . Great service and people there. We started looking at replacements and we decided our 60 plus year old backs wanted a smoother ride without losing shallow water capability. We started looking at cat hull boats. We have run scooters aluminum v hulls , majeks, Haineys and Dargels (all good products) but when we started testing the ride we noticed one significant difference in the cat hulls...
All the tunnels were pretty much the same depth,Haynes, shoalwater, Dargel, and they were much shallower than our ultimate choice, the ;Flats Cat. The main difference we noticed and the main reason we wanted a cat hull, was smoothness of ride in chop. We generally fish the graveyard as we like to drift over Clear, shallow, productive waters and it's a long ride from Bird island basin, so any improvement in ride quality was a huge plus. We bought the 19' with the evinrude 130 and love it, it gets up and runs shallower than any boat I've been in(including the RFl) and cost on it was comparable to the boats of similar size and power. B&S marine in the bluff fixed us up and customized of ride to our satisfaction my advice would check it out before you buy anything else.
Better Luck Tomorrow,
Karankawa

"If I owned Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas."... Gen. Phil Sheridan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: