Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

#1 in World Marine Mechanic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TroutSlayer
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: #1 in World Marine Mechanic Reply with quote

Thought you guys would get a kick out of this. I have been rode hard and put up wet doing my day job but just took a week with family and some friends of my kids to Belize. Awesome trip and I had this guy I know from many years ago be our tour guide and fishing/snorkeling/lobstering/river trip etc guide. He goes by Hillyboo if that gives you a hint to where this is headed. He has 4 let's just say well maintained old boats by island standards. In any event we had a wonderful morning snorkeling, went to a small island for lunch and was just about to sneak up on his lobster traps when I said "Hilly something is strange about the vibrations coming off the motor" he said no worries.

He looked back and wondered why when he put it in reverse nothing happened. I went and looked and said you lost your prop...not spun but GONE. Wind was howling so we were drifting fast and like a pro he got an anchor out. Dove in immediately and I along with 4 kids went in search of the prop. Bout 30 mins later we find it and He goes down (about 10 ft) and gets it. You know the next question. Do you have another pin and maybe a spacer. No but no worries. I can't believe he got it going and it went full speed for at least 15 miles. Two bottle caps for washers and a nail for the pin. We are so spoiled we are losing the art of MacGyver fixing things. I won't bore you with the next day with his twin engine boat how on the fly he changed a coil while one was running....

MakoJJ
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, that's awesome! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No kidding that IS awesome! It's amazing how resourceful folks are when there is no help or stores around.
ironmanstan
Exalted Ruler of Flour Bluff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Special tools. I think I will add some bottle caps and a couple of nails to my boat tool bag.
Chef Lefty
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is awesome. Great story.
deputydawg
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it!!!! Laughing
Ray
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why and how do you think '50s model cars are still most of what you see on the streets of Havana? A few years ago, we didn't have air conditioning, but we did have ingenuity! Places that have to have it, have it. Other places, where we have gotten soft, have lost a lot of it. Part of the secret is depending on ourselves and not believing government will take care of us.

There was an old saying in New Mexico stating that if you thought the government would take care of you during your life and old age, take a close look at the American Indian.

Your friend is impressive; he's still got it by the boat load; pun intended. I loved the picture.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: