Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

High BTU burners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Bbqing, Grilling, Frying, Recipes, and All Things Tasty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
landlocked beachbum
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: High BTU burners Reply with quote

Hey y'all, I've been wanting to upgrade my burner for doing stir-fries. The one that I now use works okay for small batches............. but that ain't my bag! Cool

I found this company. Some of you have surely bought from here, but I wanted to turn others on to a great variety at even better prices.

http://www.tejassmokers.com/castironburners.htm

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits". Albert Einstein
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't get enough BTUs out of the standard one you get for frying fish and turkey?
steve78412
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an Eastman Outdoors Kahuna which produces 65,000 BTU. It looks like a jet engine and turns a carbon steel wok cherry red in a minute. I can bring 5 gallons of water to boil in about 10 minutes.

It is great for blackening things in a cast iron skillet.

I'm not familiar with the company you mention, just wanted to toss out some thoughts on burner sizes.

Steve
landlocked beachbum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyler wrote:
You can't get enough BTUs out of the standard one you get for frying fish and turkey?

Not for good stir-frying Tyler. The first item on that link puts out 160,000 BTU's with the recommended high pressure regulator, both cheap I might add!!!! Shocked Very Happy Wink I use an 18" wok for my stir-fries, fajitas and such, and in big batches the wok will start off popping and sizzling only to cool down too much for a good caramelization to happen, especially before the veggies wilt.......................

Mind you, this is AFTER I went out two or three years back and bought a much larger burner for my fish/turkey frier! Like the other poster says, what I have now will bring a very large pot of water to a boil in about 9.5 to 10 minutes in warm weather, but doesn't cut the mustard when needed for large batches of the specified good eats! Embarassed

I just ordered the first burner listed along with the recommended regulator, hose and gauge. I'm getting hungry already................... stir-frying has become my thing lately, but the fajitas will be MUCH better now too!!! Very Happy

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits". Albert Einstein
steve78412
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

landlocked beachbum wrote:
I just ordered the first burner listed along with the recommended regulator, hose and gauge.

Let us know how it works out. For that amount I am interested in bumping my BTUs.

Steve

PS. 160,000 BTU burner and Stainless steel wok would be a great combo.
landlocked beachbum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problemo, as soon as they arrive I WILL be throwing together one of those two mentioned eats, and I'll let you know.

I did lots of searching and this is the best place that I found for all of this stuff, and it's in TEXAS! Cool

Leah

landlocked beachbum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

landlocked beachbum

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey y'all, I used my new rig last night. All I have to say is WOOOOOOOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

The high pressure regulator goes up to 20 psi but I set it at 10 and never had the needle valve on the burner open more than .5 - .75 turns, and I had blue/white flame coming up the sides on my wok!!!!!! I cooked a batch of pepper steak, and even with a cold my wife said that it was the best that I've ever made and also agreed that it was at LEAST as good as any that we've ever eaten, and nothing that I did was any different than usual except for my new burner/regulator. The whole thing took about 3 minutes, maybe a little more, and the veggies were all done but still crisp and had some nice caramelization going on, which greatly adds to the overall flavor.

All in all, money well spent!!!!

Very Happy Cool Wink

ltorna1

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now THAT is some good eats man!
landlocked beachbum

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Luke, and yes......................... it WAS good!!! Very Happy

The pic is before I got the new units, but it was still great. The last batch that was so freaking good was chowed into before any thoughts of photos came to mind, I couldn't wait to try it!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

rawlbay
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give us an action shot with the new burner!
landlocked beachbum

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was planning on doing that next time. It will be a first for me, I'm not a seasoned (no pun intended) pro like Sapo when it comes to the video thing, but the cooking part I'm darn good with! Cool Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Bbqing, Grilling, Frying, Recipes, and All Things Tasty All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: