Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kingfish gumbo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Bbqing, Grilling, Frying, Recipes, and All Things Tasty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
landlocked beachbum
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Kingfish gumbo Reply with quote

Hey y'all,

I had the Jones for some gumbo last night and also wanted to thin out the freezer..................... especially, what's still left from last year's offshore trip. I'm not that crazy about kings. I prefer firm fleshed fish. Still, I wasn't going to waste it!

I went to Kroger and bought two pounds of crappy Indian shrimp, then brought them home and thawed in salt water along with the King fillets. While in the freezer I also grabbed a gallon bag of bell peppers and a big handful of jalapenos along with two packs of sliced okra from last year's garden.

I won't bore you with the cooking..................... it's gumbo!!!! My main point here is to say that the king was a GREAT addition!!!!!! Being on the mushy/soft side, the fish seemed to really take on the flavors of the stock, kind of like tofu tends to do. I must say that it was by far the best gumbo that I've ever made and was also right up there with the best I've ever eaten! Shocked I can only imagine how good it would be with some DECENT SHRIMP !!!!!! Wink

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits". Albert Einstein
Central Scrutinizer

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two words that should never be used together: Gumbo & Indian Shrimp (....Oh wait, that's 3 words.... CRAP!!!). Embarassed Embarassed

Glad to hear the Kingfish "took' to the gumbo. Good to see it was not wasted (but I'm with you, ... Kingfish....fun to fight, but not the best meal from the oceans). Razz
landlocked beachbum

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree whole heartedly bro, but this is Arkansas. There were some better looking and larger shrimp there too, but they were $15 per pound and didn't say where they were from, so............................................

The shrimp actually taste more than passable after my salt water soak and a few rinsings. Rest assured that I'm bringing extra dinero so that I can load up on some fresh shrimp while down for the OS trip. This is a MUST !!!! Very Happy

The gumbo is so good that I had it last night, for breakfast this morning, and I'm eating my second bowl after getting home from the garden as I type!!! Cool

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits". Albert Einstein
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balled out Kingfish smoked is awesome though quite a waste of the gray colored meat Smile
Jellyfish
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good article on the perils of imported shrimp on the news last night.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/antibiotics-illegal-us-found-samples-foreign-shrimp/story?id=16344514
landlocked beachbum

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I won't be buying anymore!!!! Shocked

I'll just have to stock up when I'm down there next month and during September in Destin for 2 weeks...................................... Cool Wink

Chef Lefty

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the roux and seafood stock right, and you can cut up an Indian's sandle and it would taste great. Very Happy
landlocked beachbum

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are surely correct sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm certain that's why this batch was so darn good! Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Bbqing, Grilling, Frying, Recipes, and All Things Tasty All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: