Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mono or Braid
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodandroll
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Mono or Braid Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to redo all of my reels, both spinning and bait cast. I have both mono and braid available. What is your opinion and why on use of mono or braid on these two types of reels.

Spinning - mono or braid?
Bait cast - mono or braid?

Thanks for the advise.
Ol Sanch
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm fishing jetties, I go with mono. Otherwise, I go with braid. It has less stretch, more strength, more sensitivity. All around it's just superior. Braid doesn't tolerate abrasions as well as mono. But that aside, I prefer braid. I know people still use mono, but not withstanding price, I don't know why. If you want to save some bucks on the spooling, start with mono and then top it off with braid. There's my $.02. Assuming your chasing trouts and reds in the surf and bays. Mono may have a great application in other situations.
SharkBait

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everyone should try 10 pound braid on an inshore spinner. it has caught me more fish than any of my other rods. i have been on the same braid for over 3years( it is dangerous though it will cut you like butter under tension)

cant go wrong with some mono rods and some braid rods...
i wouldn't give a novice or kid a braid filled reel, i saw a guy lose a thumb to 50lb braid....

my favorite braid sizes are 10lb, 40lb, and 65lb. i don't like it on conventionals, unless you are not casting, it can be hell if you backlash...
that said my king rod(slide rod) is filled with 65lb braid
ziacatcher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like FINS braid. You can feel a fish burp on it. I use 20# mono or flouro as a leader.

Like Sanch said, partially fill spool with mono topped off with braid. Not only does it save a few cents but if you don't use mono as backing the braid will slip around the spool.
SharkBait

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some electrical tape on the spool with keep it from slipping...

fishing with braid you have to remember you have no stretch...use a MONO leader, to ease some of the strain on your gear and yourself. if you hook a monster fish(tuna, amber jack or something like that) on braid with a fluorocarbon leader. you only have 2% stretch it can get really painful after a while. i have made this mistake and paid for it
AcousTennis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my drum

Abu 5500c-6500

all 4 have 17lb Trilene Mono and 20lb on bigger sized reels, delt with 40" bull reds only been broken off by a shark

For my trout

Citica 200e Baitcaster

30lb Fins wind tamer braid (i see noo need to go lower, dont want to think about breaking off when the big trout or red hits, and you have plenty of line for whatever you hit)

tie it to a small swivel and tie on a foot of 30lb fluorocarbon leader....need the leaser so those teeth wont cut you off

you can still feel everything with the fluoro ive had no problems with

for topwaters use mono

When sightcasting reds

Mitchell cheapo $20 walmart reel

When i say sightcast, i dont mean blind casts, i mean you see the red and you know you have a 90% chance of a reds pressure to reel back the line..

i use 30lb fins windtamer with the 30lb fluoro leader...i get a lot of wind knots blind casting with it

BTB

i use a 309 with 50lb big game mono

ive had no problems with these set ups and i recommend them
Bluffer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use Braid on my spinners and Mono on all my baitcaster reels (bay thru surf)
hickroots07

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my casting gear I use braid backing with a mono top shot. I put just enough mono that I can't cast far enough to hit the braid. On my larger reels for shark I will load up with braid and have a looong top shot of mono for abrasion on the sand bars. Spinning reels u can't go wrong with braid and a flourocarbon leader.
16stoner
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with bluffer on that!
ltorna1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you use the "search" function at the top of the page (under the home/site index/weather links), you can search for topics just like this one. Its a very common question and has come up MANY times in the last few years. Some of the newer members can give their input here but there is a wealth of info on some of the older posts regarding why, when , where, and how to use braid vs. mono.
OSO YAKMAN
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAME AS BLUFFER ON MINE.
ROBDOG
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PP or FINS braid on all of my baitcasters form my Curado 50e to my Penn 80 wide. I also have it on my wife's spinners and use it as backing on my fly reels.
rodandroll

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ltorna1 wrote:
if you use the "search" function at the top of the page (under the home/site index/weather links), you can search for topics just like this one. Its a very common question and has come up MANY times in the last few years. Some of the newer members can give their input here but there is a wealth of info on some of the older posts regarding why, when , where, and how to use braid vs. mono.

Did that before I posted. Did not see the same question posted. The question you are referring to was generally "do you like braid or mono or what best". Or do you use mono or braid. Or do you prefer mono or braid. My question is quite different. I did not ask why, when, where, and how. I just asked which type of line folks preferred on bait cast and spinning reels - braid or mono - not for advice on how to use the "search" function.
ltorna1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodandroll wrote:
ltorna1 wrote:

Did that before I posted. Did not see the same question posted. The question you are referring to was generally "do you like braid or mono or what best". Or do you use mono or braid. Or do you prefer mono or braid. My question is quite different. I did not ask why, when, where, and how. I just asked which type of line folks preferred on bait cast and spinning reels - braid or mono - not for advice on how to use the "search" function.

Wow...OK. Not lecturing on how to use the search function. Just suggesting a place to find more info fast. While your question is a little more specific (although the your thread title is still "Mono or Braid"), there are often gems of info in threads that aren't exactly addressing the question, but are related. Just trying to help.

For example, looking in a "general" thread about mono vs braid, I found out that when using braid on spinning reels its important to check if that reel was rated for braid or power pro type lines. Not all of them are, some of the medium-high end shimanos are but some cheepies say not to use braid because the abrasiveness of the line can damage them and they don't have drags that can handle people constantly tightening down on them hard when using braid.
SharkBait

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a good point itorna1, braid should be fished on gear designed for it. not only will it perform better it is safer, equipment fail is the last thing you want when fishing braid
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: