Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TAMUCC Trout Tagging Program/ Info Topdog?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> FAQ, Rules, Privacy and How To's
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capt Mike Singleterry
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good stuff right there Mike. Did Laura happen to say when (date) the fish was tagged.

Mike
o_brother
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother didn't say so I will have to call him and ask if she told him or not.. It looked like the tag had been in for awhile because the incision was healed and the stiches were just barely stuck to the skin. The tag with the number on it had green algea covering it...

Mike
ltorna1

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt Mike Singleterry wrote:
I guess you guys are to busy to answer my post or my email. Really not a hard question, just wanted to know how things were going.
Let's don't forget you are using a public resource.

Mike

Who's you guys? The scientists doing the research? Pretty sure they don't use this forum too often.
ltorna1

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyler wrote:
Thanks! I just wish we could have gotten them some more winter surf trout.

Despite what you have been told or what you think.....YOU NEED TO GO FISHING TO DO THAT. Very Happy

I make another suggestion to Laura via email today about tagging the tiderunners. Told her she might want to tag them while they are in the Laguna and Bay and get the info on the way back out.

Mike

So when you catch a big trout in the Lguna and Bay right now, how do you know you've got a tiderunner and not just a bay fish? Sure hate to waste a tag on a fish that isn't what you are after?
Capt Mike Singleterry

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ltorna1 wrote:
Tyler wrote:

Despite what you have been told or what you think.....YOU NEED TO GO FISHING TO DO THAT. Very Happy

I make another suggestion to Laura via email today about tagging the tiderunners. Told her she might want to tag them while they are in the Laguna and Bay and get the info on the way back out.

Mike

So when you catch a big trout in the Lguna and Bay right now, how do you know you've got a tiderunner and not just a bay fish? Sure hate to waste a tag on a fish that isn't what you are after?

Who would sure hate to waste a tag? You? Are you tagging the fish now?
You mean to tell me with all that experience you have, you can't tell the difference between a tide runner and a resident trout when you see one
that is caught in the Laguna or the Landcut.
Oh, the tagging program isn't just tagging big trout as you suggested. Where in the world did you get your information? Oh, yea all that experience.
And yes, the people that are involved in the tagging program do look at the board from time to time again is it your vast experience that determined that your "Pretty sure they don't use this forum too often".
Billy Sandifer is involved and looks at the forum almost daily.

Mike
5moreminutes

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this wind needs to lay down so someone can go out and fish. I don't think it was in the proper grammar and he was just typing "loosely" if you may. I get what he was saying.

On another note: Good to hear that their is some progress on this research. Cool
BALZTOWAL

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it does appear that tournaments are transplanting fish from a bay system to a different one. There should be some kind of law against that and fishing tournaments.
ltorna1

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ltorna1 wrote:
Tyler wrote:

Mike

Who would sure hate to waste a tag? You? Are you tagging the fish now?
You mean to tell me with all that experience you have, you can't tell the difference between a tide runner and a resident trout when you see one
that is caught in the Laguna or the Landcut.
Oh, the tagging program isn't just tagging big trout as you suggested. Where in the world did you get your information? Oh, yea all that experience.
And yes, the people that are involved in the tagging program do look at the board from time to time again is it your vast experience that determined that your "Pretty sure they don't use this forum too often".
Billy Sandifer is involved and looks at the forum almost daily.

Mike

Nope Mike, I cant tell the difference. My experience with spotted seatrout over the last 2 yers that I have lived here extends about as far as my lure can cast, and thts it. Thats why I ask. Not being a wise supple bum, im actually curious. Could you please elaborate. I dont have 20 years of fishing under my belt down here, and i never claimed to. Getting a little antsy??? Not a fisheries biologist here, just somebody interested in the project, thats all. One thing I do know about the field, I know that tags are expensive, and I can imagine that if i was invested heavily ina research project, it would be good to be accurate with the tags. Like I was saying, the tags are expensive and if I was a researcher I would like to know how to distinguish where the hell a trout came from if there are two populations i(tide runners and bay fish) nhabiting the laguna at any given time. Heck, as a fisherman i would like to know how to tell, maybe others on this baord would too. So quit the wise supple bum snide remarks, its a legit question. And as far as them checking the board, why not just ask them directly if you have the emails instead of asking for a summary on the fishing board and getting pissy when nobody responds. thats all I am saying.
ltorna1

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing, I am fully aware that they are not only tagging big trout, never said they were targeting them solely. But they are only tagging legal trout. I get my information from the student herself. Not my "experience" which you keep hinting at.
Capt Mike Singleterry

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ltorna1....If you were interested in the projuct then you would be asking the questions I am. Instead as in you a couple of the past post you have made when I have ask question you continue to go on the defensive for the tagging program and seem to want to ridicule any questions or statements that I have posted. If you would have read the post that on this thread that explained the program you would have seen that Billy Sandifer was involved and as I said he does look at this board.
If you really want to know why the locals say there are tide runner trout and resident trout and how to tell the difference just ask. I would be more than happy to explain and might take you out and show you, if we could get the same open dates. I don't mind teaching what I think I know about it after 40 years.
There are a couple of reasons I have taken a interest in the project, one being the fact the project can prove or disprove the old tide tunner theory. The other reason is the lack of trust I have for any program that is
or has any public resource involved.

Mike
Capt Mike Singleterry

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea, one more thing, the last time I remember a project using a public resource and the prople not questioning but only supporting the experiment the public almost and still could loose the ability to fish or even use the park seasonally. It now takes over 5 hours to drive on the beach to Port Mansfield.

Mike
o_brother

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Capt. I asked my brother if Laura said when (date) the trout was tagged and he said no. He didn't ask and she didn't say.. All she said was the tout was tagged in the same area my brother caught it....

Mike
Bayslammer

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very interested in the results of this study. This type of study would help answer many frequently asked questions concerning trout migration. The primary debate is if gulf trout migrate to the bay to spawn, therefore starting the migration. I believe resident ULM/Baffin trout stay in the system, and in the same general area. That being said, big schools of resident trout continually move north and south great distances in the bay especially in the Spring. Iim curious to why big sow trout caught in Baffin during tournaments are tagged for a tiderunner study. I don't think that these fish move very far, but I could be wrong. It would be interesting to find out if they instictively travel south after being released in the ULM. I'm also interested to find out what type of impact the Packery Channel has made on migration of tiderunner trout. I assume that trout tagged from the gulf and bays north, including CC bay could have once migrated from the south. It would be interesting to find out if the same fish coming from the Landcut continue the same patterns year after year. Please let us know what you conclude from this study.
Rebecca of Sunnybrookfarm

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whew! this sticky is getting close to being locked! that would be a first!

relax gentlemen,

ziacatcher wrote:
However I bet if you were fishing naked Ranger Rick would have a problem with that
o_brother

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother recieved a packing from Laura yesterday.. She sent him a research T-shirt and a gift card to Academy.. Along with a letter thanking him for the info.. She also included that the trout was tagged back in Feb...

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> FAQ, Rules, Privacy and How To's All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: