Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TAMUCC Trout Tagging Program/ Info Topdog?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> FAQ, Rules, Privacy and How To's
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ltorna1
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TroutSlayer wrote:
"The tags only work under water, and they have to be within 1km diameter of a receiver to be recorded."

Not that I know a thing about how tracking works but that seems like a lot of luck involved if you have to be within a K of the fish with the reciever to know where it is at. Either lots of tagged fish, lots of recievers, and lots of time on the water to get a meaningful set of data....or all the above

Not that I know much either on the subject either, I can only barely scratch the surface of how this type of work is done, but the general idea is to put receivers at key locations you are concerned with, i.e. presumed high traffic areas, predicted spwaning/feeding grounds, or near the mouths of passes/channels. Otherwise, you are 100% right, a whole lot of money invested, and a whole lot of luck involved in getting data back.
chuck
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wonder if google has an app for that?
TroutSlayer
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to see what they find out. It will put some science into the mix and could answer some of the debates about where they go during certain conditions. Too bad they didn't have a bunch of the missing trout in Rockport/PA last summer tracked. I have heard a dozen reasons why the fish left and still don't have one I believe.
topdog15

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, mike. internets down at the house. having to check the board at work.
it seems like most of the questions have already been answered. from what i've been told the main focus is to track fish movements between the gulf and bays in order to collect data that supports what many "old timers" have been saying for years, which is that surf trout enter the bays to spawn. I think they are also looking at whether some surf trout remain in the gulf year round which may indicate that they attempt to spawn in the surf. I agree the public should be made more aware of these studies. Banded ducks are a trophy and some folks may think a tagged trout is, too if they're not informed about the program and the importance of releasing these tagged fish.
GregStunz
Finger Mullet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Summary of trout study from TAMUCC Researchers Reply with quote

Hello Guys:
Thought I would provide everyone with a summary of our trout study directly from us after several folks mentioned this thread. The study is being conducted by my group at the Harte Research Inst. at TAMU-CC. The goal of this study is to examine movement pattern of trout among bays systems and especially exchange with the Gulf (i.e. “Tide-runners”). It is a focus of Laura Bivin's Master's research.

We are really glad for everyone’s interest with the project, and you can expect to hear much more in the future (starting Sun. in Sike’s column with a short intro and future follow-up once we have more data). Also, please see Mike McBride’s latest column in Texas Saltwater Fishing Magazine for more coverage and our webpages (see below for URL).

For those of you concerned about catching a tagged fish, they are very clearly marked with a bright green streamer tag on the left side of the first dorsal fin that says, “internal tag, please release,” marked with a unique code, reward info, and our phone number to call. We are even offering a sizable reward if anglers call us with capture info. We will keep our webpage updated with numbers of fish in the study and findings on general trout movement patterns... sorry not secret spots or tracking individual groups of fish Smile... it's not possible anyway.

The project is currently in its very beginning stages, and we are working closely with Captain Mike McBride, especially Captain Billy Sandifer, and several tournaments. Right now we have 18 fish tagged (1 surf, 7 bay, 10 tournament) and we plan to tag many more (~80 total) in the next couple of weeks.

That may not seem like a lot of fish, but at $300/tag and a very expensive listening array (~50K) it can gets quite expense rapidly. We have numerous receivers 30+ out that cover the bays and all the inlets from Aransas Pass to East Cut, and we will be downloading data from these every 6 weeks or so. The coverage of these receivers is fairly large, up to a mile away in all directions from the receiver depending on sea state. If a fish swims within the detections zone, we will be able to recognize individual fish. Obviously, we cannot cover every section of the bays, but we have most regions covered by our systems that are deployed at strategic and "gated" locations in the bay, gaps/bottleneck areas, and hypothesized migration routes (i.e., Landcut, all inlets from East Cut to Port A, etc.)

For more information and pictures, please look at our website (http://fisheries.tamucc.edu/Trouttagging.html ) and do not hesitate to contact us directly if you have any further information or details about what we are doing.

Greg

Greg Stunz, Ph.D.
Endowed Associate Research Professor,
Harte Research Institute for Gulf of Mexico Studies
Associate Professor of Marine Biology
Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi
Department of Life Sciences
6300 Ocean Drive
Harte Research Institute, 213A
Corpus Christi, TX 78412-5869
(361) 825-3254 (office)
(361) 825-2025 (fax)
http://www.fisheries.tamucc.edu
Capt Mike Singleterry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. Hope you are able to get you answers.

Mike
5moreminutes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Tyler can you make this a sticky for the duration of this research project? Sounds good.
jbonorden
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TroutSlayer wrote:
"The tags only work under water, and they have to be within 1km diameter of a receiver to be recorded."

Not that I know a thing about how tracking works but that seems like a lot of luck involved if you have to be within a K of the fish with the reciever to know where it is at. Either lots of tagged fish, lots of recievers, and lots of time on the water to get a meaningful set of data....or all the above

They are increasing their odds by placing the monitors near the opening in the bay of the gulf passes. Not too many of them are over 1/2 mile wide and tide rummer fish should pass within that distance entering or leaving the bay systems. I think a general notice in the major newspapers in San Antonio and Houston as well as a psa on tv would let most summer fisherman know about the program.
Scoootr
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good stuff
Capt Mike Singleterry

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a tiderunner tagging report/update. We started catching them yesterday in the ULM,a week ago in the Landcut and reports I have there are some being caught in AP. Not the large biomass but they have started
the migration.
Question

Mike
Capt Mike Singleterry

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you guys are to busy to answer my post or my email. Really not a hard question, just wanted to know how things were going.
Let's don't forget you are using a public resource.

Mike
Capt Mike Singleterry

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some information from the program....

Here is a link if anyone is interested.

http://www.fisheries.tamucc.edu/Trouttagging.html

Mike
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I just wish we could have gotten them some more winter surf trout.
Capt Mike Singleterry

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyler wrote:
Thanks! I just wish we could have gotten them some more winter surf trout.

Despite what you have been told or what you think.....YOU NEED TO GO FISHING TO DO THAT. Very Happy

I make another suggestion to Laura via email today about tagging the tiderunners. Told her she might want to tag them while they are in the Laguna and Bay and get the info on the way back out.

Mike
o_brother

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Caught one Reply with quote

Me and my brother fished Baffin Saturday and my brother caught a tagged trout. We got the number off the tag and measured it and turned her loose... My brother called the number on Monday and left a message. He said a lady called him back earlier today and he gave her all the info. He asked her if she could tell him where this trout was released after tagging. She said it was one that was tagged and released in Baffin. He asked her if any of the tagged trout released in the ULM after the tournaments had returned to Baffin yet... She said that they have picked up bings from some of those trout and that they are heading back towards Baffin...... Really cool stuff....

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> FAQ, Rules, Privacy and How To's All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: