Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TAMUCC Trout Tagging Program/ Info Topdog?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> FAQ, Rules, Privacy and How To's
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capt Mike Singleterry
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: TAMUCC Trout Tagging Program/ Info Topdog? Reply with quote

Hey Aaron.....do you have any further information on this program?
http://fisheries.tamucc.edu/Trouttagging.html

Mike

Last edited by Capt Mike Singleterry on Wed May 05, 2010 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
robul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neat program! keep up the good work Tamucc!
5moreminutes
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read about it in Gulf Coast Connections Texas Saltwater Magazine. I believe Captain McBride wrote up the article. Good Read.
Capt Mike Singleterry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really wonder why no one has been notified about the program. Sure seems to me if the people doing the research should let the general public
know. Hell, I could be eating their experiment and really not know.
Wonder if their trying to figure out if there are "tiderunners"?
Wonder when it started, who to call (number) if you should want to give them information on a tag.

Mike
TroutSlayer
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Says they have a dorsal dart tag. Wonder how many are out there and what info they have so far? If it is a 30'' plus do you mount it with or without the tag? You could really freak them out and hide the tracking device on your buddies boat.
5moreminutes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Mike-
I believe the article mentioned that there is a number on the tag. When you mentioned "tide runners" is that referencing trout migrating from surf to bay? If so then yes the mentioned that and wanted to see if there any "resident" trout. They also said that they where going to catch trout in the surf with Capt. Billy Sandifier. I lost my magazine at work so don't have much more info.
FishingGramps
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Research Reply with quote

I hope they learn a lot from these studies. There sure is a lot that we do not know about these beautiful fish. I'd like to hear more about the "tiderunners", too.

There is nothing that a man cannot accomplish if he does not care who gets the credit.
ziacatcher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fish from this weekends BB bash were given to TAMUCC for their research.
ltorna1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The program from what I understand is still in its young stages but its coming along great. Dr. Stunz and company have tagged a good number of fish, and they are continuing field work throughout the year. Im good friends with the lab personel, and I will be going on tagging trips with them this spring. They have come a long way with surgically implanting radio tags on the fish with minimal issues. A PhD student from that lab just gave a presentation this week on shark research, and discussed future tagging programs. I think they have been involved with TPWD and Capt. Sandifer in the past.
Capt Mike, maybe you can reach out to the lab and see if there is anything you could help them with.

Involving the public with research can be a huge benefit, but is also logistically difficult in terms of collecting data. I know in the past they have been very involved with Sharkathon and other public tournies.
Capt Mike Singleterry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys....I'm sure the program is going to be a good one, Texas A&M has always done a good job on any research they do or have done. It just seems to me in this case the project should have been intoduced to the fishing public. No matter who reaches out to help, if people don't know what is going on there could be alot of information get past the research group. I know myself if I had not been told about this I wouldn't have even looked for any type of tag on a trout much less take down any numbers and foward them to the research group.
As for tiderunners....this has been preached by all the old school fishermen to the biologist for years. I do understand there is a need to document the movement and find the fish for themselves but a little
communication would go a long ways. Very Happy

Mike

Last edited by Capt Mike Singleterry on Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Bayslammer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Thanks again for the info Mike.
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed your concerns on to Dr. Mckee and he will pass them on to Dr. Stunz. I totally agree. I think they should send out a general press release, though they have gotten some publicity in the Texas Saltwater Angler, the general public needs to be aware of the tags.
Jason Slocum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: TAMUCC trout tagging Reply with quote

1. Wonder when it started - Its been going on a while now ~ 1 year.

2. Who to call (number) if you should want to give them information on a tag.
There is a phone number on the plastic tag to call, just like the star tournament tags.

3. Hell, I could be eating their experiment and really not know.
The tag is fairly large roughly 1" X .5" and is a black cylinder.

4.Wonder if their trying to figure out if there are "tide-runners"?
Yes amongst many other things.

5. Wonder how many are out there?
Before the tournament this weekend I think they have 7 trout tagged.

6. What info they have so far?
The receivers haven't been checked so far. So there isn't anything yet.

7.If it is a 30'' plus do you mount it with or without the tag?
We haven't tagged a 30"+ trout (they could have tagged one this past weekend from the tourney but I'm not sure)

8.You could really freak them out and hide the tracking device on your buddies boat
The tags only work under water, and they have to be within 1km diameter of a receiver to be recorded.

If y'all have any other questions I'll try and get the correct answers. (She's only one cubicle away) Jason Slocum
Capt Mike Singleterry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information Jason...Now I know not to eat the cylinder. Very Happy

Mike
TroutSlayer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The tags only work under water, and they have to be within 1km diameter of a receiver to be recorded."

Not that I know a thing about how tracking works but that seems like a lot of luck involved if you have to be within a K of the fish with the reciever to know where it is at. Either lots of tagged fish, lots of recievers, and lots of time on the water to get a meaningful set of data....or all the above
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> FAQ, Rules, Privacy and How To's All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: