Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sea Lice?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tail Chaser
Finger Mullet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Sea Lice? Reply with quote

I was down in the corpus area fishing last weekend, and I noticed that one of the local bait stands was selling live sea lice for bait. I've heard that sea lice make excellent bait, but I've also heard the stories about these guys being a to break aquarium glass. My question is how do you handle the sea lice safeley without getting your hands torn up, and how do you hook them to keep them alive?
Eightball Express
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use them live. Gotta be dead or your thumbs will be bleeding. Good luck with that.
Jestnomen
Finger Mullet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what exactly is sea lice. I tried google but only came up with pictures of infected fish. Is this good bait, and if so which bait shop sells it? Thanks!
Rebecca of Sunnybrookfarm
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

google-heads everywhere. google mantis shrimp instead of sea lice.

unless you really are talking about sea lice, which I suspect would be reference to a type of an isopod, i.e. cardinalfish isopod.

ziacatcher wrote:
However I bet if you were fishing naked Ranger Rick would have a problem with that
BALZTOWAL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVEN IF YOU CAN HOOK A LIVE ONE YOU WON'T CATCH ANYTHING. BLACK DRUM LOVE THEM BUT YOU NEED SOME SCENT IN THE WATER SO BUY SOME LIVE AND THEN KILL THEM.
ROBDOG
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I don't post much but I have caught 80% of my big uglies on live sea lice (mantis shrimp). If you lay them face down and push on their back (pin them down) you can put the hook under ther tail and pull the hook up through them. I have heard they will break an aquarium but have not seen it. I think you are talking about pistol shrimp which use the concussion of their claws snapping shut to produce a shock wave which stuns their prey long enough for the shrimp to grab them. I have seen pistol shrimp break small aquariums. I grew up here in the bluff and pistol shrimp are fairly common around bulk heads and rocks in the laguna.

Rob
Jestnomen
Finger Mullet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So which bait shop sells these shrimp?
ROBDOG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked them up at Cosway bait stand last Sat. on the way to the island. I usually start there and work my way out. If they are out I hit Red Dot then Clems and then Mkr. 37. I hit them on my way out so I don't have to back track. They seem pretty plentiful right now. I paid $8 a dozen last Sat. but they were the same price frozen. I think last time I bought them they were cheaper and Clems but not sure.
Sherkus
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Sea Lice Reply with quote

I have been purchasing live sea lice from the shrimpers, down at the T Heads. They Sell live Sea Lice for 4 bucks a pound. Cheap.

As to them being dangerous to hook, the can be a little feisty, but I have never had a problem putting them on a hook. I usually use them when it is a little colder, as the colder temperatures keep the docile. They will stay alive virtually forever.

A couple of weeks ago, I was fishing them (Live Sea Lice) at the Packary CH Park, and caught A huge (3-4lb) ) Puffer Fish. I didn't know what kind of fish it was at first, until is swooped up. Released it.
ROBDOG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherkus is right, the colder weather keep um docile. I usually put them in an HEB bag and as log as it stays wet they stay alive and docile. As soon as they hit water that's not too chilly they are a pain in the supple bum to deal with.
kadiyaker
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've caught decent trout off the jetty (SPA) with live sea lice when there weren't any shrimp...

KadiyaKer

'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
jsauce17
Finger Mullet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jestnomen wrote:
So what exactly is sea lice. I tried google but only came up with pictures of infected fish. Is this good bait, and if so which bait shop sells it? Thanks!

Sea lice is actually referred to as Mantis Shrimp. Sherkus is right the sea lice is cheap at the T-Heads. I actually picked some up at Cos Way last night for $8 per lb. No luck last night though. The bite was really slow.
ccbobber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: welcome Reply with quote

welcome to the board, use & enjoy.
The Trash Heap

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROBDOG wrote:
OK I don't post much but I have caught 80% of my big uglies on live sea lice (mantis shrimp). If you lay them face down and push on their back (pin them down) you can put the hook under ther tail and pull the hook up through them. I have heard they will break an aquarium but have not seen it. I think you are talking about pistol shrimp which use the concussion of their claws snapping shut to produce a shock wave which stuns their prey long enough for the shrimp to grab them. I have seen pistol shrimp break small aquariums. I grew up here in the bluff and pistol shrimp are fairly common around bulk heads and rocks in the laguna.

Rob

I agree with the reputation pistol shrimp have earned for trashing aquaria. The local mantis shrimp has no such talent that I'm aware of, but I had a different species of mantis shrimp play hell with the plastic subsurface gravel aquarium filter when I kept it briefly in Okinawa. In place of the claws it had bony clubs that it would use to smash its way through fingers, coral, and presumably the shells of prey.
jsauce17
Finger Mullet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: welcome Reply with quote

ccbobber wrote:
welcome to the board, use & enjoy.

Thanks ccbobber, I have been browsing the boards for some time. Just thought I finally post. What are some ideas on going out Fri night for some Drum? Something family friendly need to take the wife and kids... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: