Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Trout Rules - Tournaments
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Central Scrutinizer
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:08 am    Post subject: New Trout Rules - Tournaments Reply with quote

Did a Tournament at Doc's this weekend, and even though it was covered in the Captain's Meeting the night before, the New Trout Rules are tough.

15-20", and they told them, 'the 1 over' slot would not be allowed.
Had to DQ a number of bigger trout, with the typical ... but..... but........

But of 42 Teams entered (stringer of 2 trout, 2 reds, and a flounder), 40 Teams weighed in! I think only 3 or 4 had the Slam, but it was a really good showing.
Rebecca of Sunnybrookfarm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the law of unintended consequences - the new "trophy fish" is going to be a 19.999 inch trout....
becky

ziacatcher wrote:
However I bet if you were fishing naked Ranger Rick would have a problem with that
rodandroll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I am reminded of the CCA and its power over TPW every time I see something on the new trout limits, I thought readers might find this interesting. Compensation of heads of CCA.

Key Employees and Officers Compensation Related Other
Patrick Murray (President) $388,300 $0 $20,735
Brian Gorski (Executive Director) $350,202 $0 $16,474
Robert Byers (Executive Director) $298,152 $0 $19,676
David Cresson (Executive Director) $298,148 $0 $21,582
Charles Trascher (Development Director) $267,100 $0 $18,564
William G Kinney Iii (Tournament Director) $250,244 $0 $20,886
Kristen Young (Cfo) $241,301 $0 $12,888
Theodore W Venker (Conservation Director) $231,855 $0 $20,993
Robert Taylor (State Development Director) $172,295 $0 $13,090
Nolan Reynerson (Assistant Director) $169,178 $0 $19,155
Adam Miller (Assistant Director) $140,534 $0 $14,855
Connie Funderburg (Controller) $137,935 $0 $12,112

I could not get the rows to line up but if you study the chart you will easily figure it out. What they are paying themselves is MIND-BOGGLING isn't it!! Just follow the Benjamins. Makes it very clear who the controllers and masters of TPW are. Certainly NOT the people of the State of Texas. Pretty obvious TPW is owned lock stock and barrel, by the CCA.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... but it can muffle the sound!!!
TexasJim
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! $ 3.3 million a year. Next time I see them begging for money for their STAR program, I'll remember that. TexasJim
CopanoCruisin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindboggling. Ain’t it! I realized this about 20 years ago. The pay scale was much less then, although for the time, the consequences and out come was the same. Don’t get me wrong, For about the last 35 years or so, I certainly believe in wildlife & fisheries conservation and have been practicing it. Just saying……cC
Central Scrutinizer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New Trout Rules - Tournaments Reply with quote

Central Scrutinizer wrote:
but it was a really good showing.

Just to finish my thought.

It was a really good showing.

I.e., ipso facto, these 'New' trout regulations are totally unnecessary, based on what I'm seeing coming in. But, despite my best advocacy for the status quo, CCA has a mighty big hammer, as previously noted.
gulfpredator1
Pony Mullet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah CCA is like a union they started out and helped a lot now they are self serving. kinda lost their focus. Where's the old GCCA ?
greenhornet2
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that sounds like the definition of anecdotal evidence. People fishing tournaments represent the 10% of people that catch 90% of the fish from the popular saying. Of those that spend a good deal of time on the water what has your trout catch looked like the last year or so? Personally, I catch fish pretty much every trip but it's not the same as post-freeze. For the last two springs a very reliable migration pattern simply hasn't occurred, this had been easily visible due to slicks prior to the recent drop in numbers. Can you still catch quality trout, absolutely but do we want to wait until we can't to do something?
Central Scrutinizer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenhornet2 wrote:
Can you still catch quality trout, absolutely but do we want to wait until we can't to do something?

Post 83 freeze, post 89 (double freezes), post 2004 SnowApocalypse, post 2011 Ice Storm, the trout came back each time.

My opposition to the new 'slot limit and 1-Over size' is based, or better yet, seeped in Biology. (Well, that and a 40+ year record of Gill Net harvest rates in the Spring and the Fall). There is no shortage of female trout (basically, anything over 20 inches), and trout are not like many groupers, hermaphroditic, i.e., sperm-limited when everything is a female until a male gets big enough to convert over and have a harem.

Harem!!!!! I didn't even know him. Rolling Eyes
Rebecca of Sunnybrookfarm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenhornet2 wrote:
Can you still catch quality trout, absolutely but do we want to wait until we can't to do something?

Post 83 freeze, post 89 (double freezes), post 2004 SnowApocalypse, post 2011 Ice Storm, the trout came back each time.

My opposition to the new 'slot limit and 1-Over size' is based, or better yet, seeped in Biology. (Well, that and a 40+ year record of Gill Net harvest rates in the Spring and the Fall). There is no shortage of female trout (basically, anything over 20 inches), and trout are not like many groupers, hermaphroditic, i.e., sperm-limited when everything is a female until a male gets big enough to convert over and have a harem.

Harem!!!!! I didn't even know him. Rolling Eyes

I am very curious as to what you would recommend as far as a slot and bag limit, personally....

personally, I was ok with the three fish from 17-23...?
becky

ziacatcher wrote:
However I bet if you were fishing naked Ranger Rick would have a problem with that
Central Scrutinizer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 fish, 15-27, as 0.5% of anglers actually catch 10 trout in a day.
Why punish the weekend Guy who wants a few more fish than the 3 limit now.
It's all about Biology.
[And I'm still curious about the 'spring migration' that came up earlier, since trout don't exactly migrate].
rodandroll

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenhornet2 wrote:
Well that sounds like the definition of anecdotal evidence. People fishing tournaments represent the 10% of people that catch 90% of the fish from the popular saying. Of those that spend a good deal of time on the water what has your trout catch looked like the last year or so? Personally, I catch fish pretty much every trip but it's not the same as post-freeze. For the last two springs a very reliable migration pattern simply hasn't occurred, this had been easily visible due to slicks prior to the recent drop in numbers. Can you still catch quality trout, absolutely but do we want to wait until we can't to do something?

Would be really nice if we used that 3.5 MILLION that CCA pays to 12 (yes just 12) people per year to "do something" wouldn't it. But as long as the leaders of CCA are so greedy guess that 3.5 MILLION PER YEAR will be waiting a long time to "do something" won't it. Bunch of total hypocrites!!! And, you sound like a plant, are you??????????????????

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... but it can muffle the sound!!!
Central Scrutinizer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodandroll wrote:
And, you sound like a plant, are you??????????????????

What, like Stinging Nettle in the Spring?????

No, not a plant. Just a Biologist with 30+ years of experience in the field.

I'm no fan of CCA.

CS

(Edited - Just saw that wasn't pointed at me. But once I finally retire, I'll come clean about where I get my information from)....... Cool
BayFly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As one who was there when G.C.C.A. first started I'm happy with the effect the effort has had, but a little surprised by the listed salaries. I remain to contribute time each year for the effort and feel like C.C.A. has little to do with the "trout limits" other than an opinion like many here. I buy a board member shirt and my banquet ticket each year all the while being a loyal member contributing my time, but numerous $300K per year salaries!

However, I personally think each licensed person should receive tags to apply to their catch, much like with dear or any other game animal. That way those of us living on the coast do not necessrily have an advantage over the licensed person living in central Texas or elsewhere in the state who can impact the resource less frequently. The tags would be non transferable, as well.
greenhornet2
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 fish, 15-27, as 0.5% of anglers actually catch 10 trout in a day.
Why punish the weekend Guy who wants a few more fish than the 3 limit now.
It's all about Biology.
[And I'm still curious about the 'spring migration' that came up earlier, since trout don't exactly migrate].

I'm not going to get into exact locations for selfish reasons; however with my own eyes, rod and reel I have years worth of data that supports that trout SHOW UP in a particular area early Spring. Then as the season progresses these fish methodically move down a shoreline that runs several miles and then bottleneck in a certain area for approximately a month before spreading out through a bay system. It has been like clockwork for several years and now it is practically nonexistent. All the tagging data does support that some trout do move large distances and more importantly I have observed these results REAPEATEDLY and that's all the science I need.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: