Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pardon my absence

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prof. Salt
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:40 pm    Post subject: Pardon my absence Reply with quote

I didn't intend to leave Zia as the lone angler bothering the local fish stocks, but sometimes life gets in the way for a bit. Work at the college has been a killer lately with annual evaluations and observations of all faculty due this week. Despite the intrusion of work in my fishing life, there have been some really nice trips to the water lately, albeit different water than my usual stomping grounds. This is the time of year I enjoy an annual pilgrimage to chase white bass on the Nueces river with my fly rods, and a couple of the trips have been memorable. I really do enjoy the river smell, the peace and quiet, the call of Barred owls, Kingfishers and Kiskadees and having to discourage those pesky water snakes from latching on to my fish, lol.

One weekday I had to paddle ten miles trying to locate spawning fish but once I did, it was great. Between noon and four in the afternoon I landed 161 of the tasty little fish, with most going over 12 inches in length. The limit is 25, which is still plenty of work at the cleaning table to collect a few quarts of fillets.

I returned the following Saturday and landed 190 more, plus three slab crappie on my little 2wt fly rod. About that time I thought I had the fish figured out ...and then they disappeared. I searched a few days later and managed 29 but it wasn't easy. Then a few days after that I managed 13 before darkness ran me off the water. I really hope the fish return to the part of the river I love so much so I can spend Spring Break harassing them some more. Barbless hooks keep fish damage to a minimum, and most swim away with little more than a claim of being temporarily abducted by a tall homely alien.

Last edited by Prof. Salt on Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
ziacatcher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report Glenn. Nice job. In about a month I'll be doing a lot of fly fishing up on the Rio Grande and the Chama River up in New Mexico.

A few years ago I was fishing the San Juan River up in northwestern New Mexico and I caught a big fat 26 inch trout on the fly in this picture. I don't know how it even saw the fly.

Prof. Salt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! Rainbows are gorgeous fish, and their diets are drastically different than what we are used to around these parts.
CopanoCruisin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that’s some pretty nice white basin days,……..cC
CopanoCruisin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that’s some pretty nice white basin days,……..cC
CaptinAcademy
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ziacatcher wrote:
Thanks for the report Glenn. Nice job. In about a month I'll be doing a lot of fly fishing up on the Rio Grande and the Chama River up in New Mexico.

A few years ago I was fishing the San Juan River up in northwestern New Mexico and I caught a big fat 26 inch trout on the fly in this picture. I don't know how it even saw the fly.

Love me some speed perch! used to go the Pedernales and San Gabriel every early spring and used to catch them like crazy.

Zia, No way I'd be able to even tie that fly on.. lol I can barely see to do what we do down here...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: