Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A glorious hour

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prof. Salt
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:05 am    Post subject: A glorious hour Reply with quote

Last night I looked at the forecast ...and then at the tide chart. I had a hunch and decided to text the boss and my admin and let them know I would be late coming to the office today. I woke at 4:15 and headed for a grass flat I know well but don't fish often. It has the structures that work well when weather is cool but not cold. When we get a nasty cold snap the fish are all driven deep, but when it gets cool during the night they just head a LITTLE deeper. The flat I fished has a gradual slope until the grass ends in about 4' of water, and then it continues to slope off into a channel. One side gets deep but the other side isn't nearly as deep, and has a bend where the outgoing tide allows fish to hunt with some protection from the tide movement. If I wait for the right conditions and approach quietly (the kayak advantage) to wade it, the place can be magical. I slowly worked the gradual edge for over an hour in darkness with only two small trout coming to the net, but I knew it could change with the coming daylight. I kept changing the speed and intensity of the lure motion, searching for that combo that would get a response because I knew there were bound to be some decent fish hanging on this spot. When I figured out that the magic combo was a slow twitch (2-3 second pause) twitch-twitch (2-3 second pause) pattern done very lightly, the cool morning heated up. I found it odd that the fish were hunting as if they were cold, but they didn't fight like they were cold at all. I guess they were just waiting for that pattern to turn them from observers into biters. From first light until about sunrise things got gloriously busy, with a limit of solid trout with two more released, a needle fish, a 16" mullet that wanted a piece of the lure too, and a lost big momma trout that made four blistering drag-burning runs before shaking the hook ten feet from the net. Then there was this 27" bruiser, and after a few more quiet minutes I realized the bite had died and I was ready to head back to the office. Since I paddle considerably slower than Zia can move across the water, this was more like a 10-minute honey hole Laughing but man was it a good one this morning.

I don't keep trout that often, but I was happy to have a limit for family dinner.

These fish don't come along that often for me, and I always forget just how thick and strong they are when they get North of 26 inches. The stress level goes up when they get close and you've got to figure out how to coax them into the net.
Central Scrutinizer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Certified Professional WeighMaster, that's a GENEROUS 27"!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

But seriously, that's a quality stringer of specs.
CS
Prof. Salt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Central Scrutinizer wrote:
As a Certified Professional WeighMaster, that's a GENEROUS 27"!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
CS

Yeah not quite 27 but pretty close. If I was competing for money I'd hold it to a stricter standard but I consider this one a rounding error. Very Happy
ziacatcher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great day, Glenn. I know what you mean by the bite. That's what I've been finding over here. Same thing twitch twitch let sit for a while and still you could hardly feel the fish picking at your lure. You had to be really aware of the slightest little change in the retrieve and then set the hook and hold on while it strips line.
awesum
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof. Salt wrote:
Central Scrutinizer wrote:
CS

Yeah not quite 27 but pretty close. If I was competing for money I'd hold it to a stricter standard but I consider this one a rounding error. Very Happy

26-31/32" Smile
kweber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run Joe Fulton Corridor in a big truck several times a month(part-time $)
I see boat and bank fishermen along the (new) river channel from the RR over-pass and Turning Basin down to where it curves back N into Nueces bay..
is that an area some of yall frequent?
Prof. Salt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kweber wrote:
I see boat and bank fishermen along the (new) river channel from the RR over-pass and Turning Basin down to where it curves back N into Nueces bay..

I usually chase redfish in the muddy shallows by launching near the railroad overpass. There is a cut-through upriver across from the oil tanks that puts you in marsh, much of which boats cannot easily access.
kweber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof. Salt wrote:
kweber wrote:

I usually chase redfish in the muddy shallows by launching near the railroad overpass. There is a cut-through upriver across from the oil tanks that puts you in marsh, much of which boats cannot easily access.
I think I spotted your drain that connects the river to the far western reaches of Nueces Bay...
looks to be knee-deep to a heron or less...lol
ziacatcher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grandkids are going over to Nueces Delta preserve this weekend to work on their game and fish merit badge. Never even heard of that before. It's over where the Nueces river empties into the bay. I'd like to go visit that sometime. Sounds like over where you go, Glenn. Then again I could be mistaken.
Prof. Salt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ziacatcher wrote:
My grandkids are going over to Nueces Delta preserve this weekend to work on their game and fish merit badge. Never even heard of that before. It's over where the Nueces river empties into the bay. I'd like to go visit that sometime. Sounds like over where you go, Glenn. Then again I could be mistaken.

That's correct, it's at the very back of the marsh area that I fish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: