Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tying while my neck heals
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prof. Salt
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that was the idea. I can't wait to be released so I can put it in front of some fish!
Prof. Salt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BayFly wrote:
I like this shrimp imitation! It looks bullet proof from here.

Thanks! A few guys have noted that if the bendback is bent too much it will really limit the hooking ability of the fly, so as a safety I tied the same pattern on the VMC 6319 hook. The hook forms its own keel and weighs enough to keep the fly sub-surface. Either way I think this will work, and I have been released to paddle and fish next week (Spring break). As a college employee I happen to have next week off, so if the wind will just lay a bit I'll perform some field testing.

BayFly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to your report on which of the two flies you experience the better hookup with, I'm guessing the first one. Each one should preform a little differently?
bulldog1935

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this fly for looking and acting shrimpy
Prof. Salt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on a quiet shrimp pattern for when the fish are spooky and larger flies tend to scare the fish. Size 6 hook and the shrimp is only about an inch long. It lands softly, swims well and even the spooky fish seem to like it.

Prof. Salt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog1935 wrote:
I like this fly for looking and acting shrimpy

I have mostly left both of those in favor of the Umpqua bendback. I tie EP fiber and no weight, and in the shallows it swims nicely and remains weedless while still hooking fish well.
AZ_squid
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendbacks and shrimp look great man! I've been using crab patterns when they are spooky with good success.
EvieMillar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog1935 wrote:
Those look great, and the action duplicates a swimming crab (which is why I wouldn't use the lead, but I don't like lead - can see that small lead giving the fly the correct motion for a kicking crab)

pretty much all fly art is more for the fly tier than for the fish.
What attracts fish to food is different than what we see - usually motion-mode or in the case of surface flies, the footprint it makes in the surface tension.
The biggest black drum I ever caught - sight fished on about the 6th cast with the drum looking right at me (they don't know you from a bird if you act like a bird) -
was on a stupid-looking epoxy crab.
It was loosely spun and trimmed bucktail, one small hen saddle pointing up, with epoxy globbed on,
and what made it work was it acted like a crab walking sideways on the sand, holding up his big claw in threat.
I refined the crab the next time to end up with this, and it still works (and so does the mylar spoon)

but I prefer casting this, a kicking shrimp and works just fine for any crustacean-food-thingy.

Wow, these are very nice. Shiny hairs are very attractive. The shape is also very nice and beautiful.
EvieMillar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:26 am    Post subject: Preety Reply with quote

bulldog1935 wrote:
Those look great, and the action duplicates a swimming crab (which is why I wouldn't use the lead, but I don't like lead - can see that small lead giving and how to get rid of moobs the fly the correct motion for a kicking crab)

pretty much all fly art is more for the fly tier than for the fish.
What attracts fish to food is different than what we see - usually motion-mode or in the case of surface flies, the footprint it makes in the surface tension.
The biggest black drum I ever caught - sight fished on about the 6th cast with the drum looking right at me (they don't know you from a bird if you act like a bird) -
was on a stupid-looking epoxy crab.
It was loosely spun and trimmed bucktail, one small hen saddle pointing up, with epoxy globbed on,
and what made it work was it acted like a crab walking sideways on the sand, holding up his big claw in threat.
I refined the crab the next time to end up with this, and it still works (and so does the mylar spoon)

but I prefer casting this, a kicking shrimp and works just fine for any crustacean-food-thingy.

Wow, they looks so nice. Shiny hairs are attractive and the shape is very nice and beautiful.
White_libra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BayFly wrote:
I like this shrimp imitation! Phenq at amazon It looks bullet proof from here.

Yes you are right. It looks like bullet proof!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: