Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dove hunting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Hunting South Texas Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ziacatcher
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Dove hunting Reply with quote

My son just moved here from New Mexico with his family and he was asking me about any places down here to hunt doves. Last time I hunted doves was quite a while ago on some friends ranches. But those people either sold, moved or have passed on. Any places down here in South Texas where he can hunt doves
Cricket
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have him buy an Annual Public Hunting tag.
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some TPW spots in Alice that can be good I am told.
SandJKENNELS
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We offer dove hunts at the ranch. $100 a day per person. The ranch is near Cuero. Right now we are seeing tons of dove. haunranch.com
Bay Grinder
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little late to reply... there's plenty of public land to dove hunt within an hour of Corpus. All that is needed is an annual public hunting permit $48 and in the booklet you'll see a bunch of places near us.
bd0202
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're on our depredation permit at the airport so we can take them out, but I'm afraid I'd have to get him security clearance AND his name on the permit to hunt there. But we have plenty of them. Laughing He'd also have to provide us a copy of his valid hunting license AND Hunter Ed cert.

I wish we could do hunting "days" or "leases" honestly bc we have more than doves to take care of, but it takes special training to know exactly where and when you cannot shoot. Last thing you want to do is put bird shot or a bullet into a plane, equipment, or a person. That's why we have to be extra careful at depredation and go through annual training each year.

Honestly, from my personal experience our training is not much different from what every hunter and LTC carrier already knows, it's just the aviation factor added to the equation that makes it tough if you aren't familiar with our closed, small world.
jannie32

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Wednesday I was taking my Brittany out to swim at Boulder Reservoir and noticed a lot of doves moving around. So I packed up the hunting gear and the pup on Saturday, picked up my buddy and his GSP, and headed out near Ft. Morgan to check out the dove populations on those SWAs.

I should note that my buddy and I had never hunted doves before. We found them, but we got out around 10 am and they were mostly just hanging around, roosting in big cottonwood trees. We managed to bring down a few (I need to get out to the skeet range, my shooting was miserable) by having one of us sneak way round a lone tree and both of us closing in from either side.

I think if we were to go earlier or later, they would be moving around more. My buddy was getting impatient so we left at about 4 pm.

My questions:
-Would it be better to find a secluded water source so they wouldn't be as scattered? The Ft. Morgan SWAs are all along the S. Platte River, so there's plenty of water, lots of trees to roost, and this year there was plenty of sunflowers for food.
-Evidently they have great eyesight (found that out post-hunt), which would explain why we had a hard time getting close enough. Do yall set up a blind near a watering hole/food source? Just wear camo? Do they move around enough midday to set up and wait for em?

As a side note, the cover looks a lot better this year. I'm excited for pheasant season. We flushed 2 hens just walking around. Stopped by a couple farm houses to inquire about pheasant sightings and ask for access. 3 weren't home, 2 said they've seen quite a bit more this year than last few years but wouldn't grant us access, and 1 was incredibly rude and wouldn't give any info. Must've woken him up from his midday nap. That's 0-16 on asking for private land access. People sure are stingy out here compared to Wisconsin and Iowa...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Hunting South Texas Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: