Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hummers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CopanoCruisin
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only have seen the occasional hummer every now and then for a long time. The other bird population has built back up good around here, although it took a long time after the big chill. Just saying.........cC
CaptinAcademy
Flour Bluffian in training

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they migrate back through on their way back south early this fall?
TexasJim
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a "normal" year, the Ruby Throats migrate South through Rockport mid-to-late September. This year has been anything but normal, so, we'll see. Expect to fill feeders often, though.

We have an adult Buff Belly that Summers with us every year. They are almost 50% bigger than Ruby Throats and Black Chins. Plus, this year, we have a small youngster. We also have had five or six Black Chins all Summer.

The September after Harvey, in '17, we had hundreds of hummers, filling six feeders twice a day. There were no flowers for them to feed on after the storm.

TexasJim
TexasJim
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week, in South Rockport, we have seen the first of the Ruby-Throats on their Fall Migration South. Stocked up on sugar, to keep the feeders full. Be interesting to see how many come through between now and October.
TexasJim
Sinker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job on appreciating and caring about hummingbirds.
Here where we live in Wyoming at our primary residence in town hummers are very sparse. However, at our mountain cabin they are most populous. However, they are fickle about empty feeders. If they are not consistently filled and cleaned you are scorned by them. 99% of our hummingbirds are broadtail the other 1% is Rufous. Those Rufous are most possessive of the feeders to the point of having to relocate a feeder to the opposite site of the cabin for the benefit of the broadtails.
We do cease feeding Labor Day to encourage the birds to begin their migration.
This year to number of Rufous was down.
Elevation at our cabin is 8000 ft so they have a down hill flight to Texas.
I would appreciate your thoughts of Rufous numbers.
deputydawg
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fished the last couple of days in Rockport and saw lots of hummingbirds! Lots of feeders and tons of birds at the condos my buddy is staying at. I could watch them for hours!

Had two sightings this morning while we were out fishing that i will probably always remember! First one was a huge hummingbird come buzzing around us. I had never seen one close to the size! It was more like a sparrow than a hummer! We both just kind of sat there staring at each other in shock not understanding what we had just seen!

A little later I was standing there holding a spinning rod with red grips and wrapping. I had the prettiest little hummer land on the rod right about on the reel seat. He stayed about a minute and was a beautiful liite critter! Just about the time my buddy got his camera he flew off. Very cool experience to me!

And for the record fishing SUCKED!
TexasJim
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't seen very many Ruby Throats, which are supposed to be about done with their migration pass-thru. We probably only had maybe a half-dozen, which is amazingly low. Our Buff Bellies have left. They are noticeably larger than the other hummers, so that's probably what buzzed you. They have a very different humming sound, probably due to their larger wings.
We don't see Rufous birds here on the coast. My kin have places in the Davis Mountains, and they have lots of them, plus the broad tails. We normally see Ruby Throats, Black Chins and the Buffs.

TexasJim
CaptinAcademy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:17 pm    Post subject: Hummers 2022 Reply with quote

Anyone seen any yet?
Have had the feeders out about a week but no takers so far.
Seems like they were already out looking for food this time last yr after the freeze killed everything
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: