Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Estes Flats - October 6, 2020

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Kayaking Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neumie
Finger Mullet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject: Estes Flats - October 6, 2020 Reply with quote

The wind forecast was looking good for this day and we hadn't felt we were on good enough fish, so we decided on Estes Flats. Ron and Lou had to head back to San Antonio and Dale's shoulder was bothering him, so there were six of launching from Palm Harbor RV; Nina, DeWitt, Witt, William, Jason, and myself.

DeWitt, Nina, Jason, and myself shot across to Traylor Island. Witt and William hung out around Talley Island.

Nina, DeWitt and I fished the bend between Little and Big Cuts working topwaters. We were greeted by tons of mullet and bait where they were occasionally being blown up by predators; a good sign. We were all working topwaters and I think were getting good action. Reds were definitely with the pods of mullet closer to the shoreline where the trout were hanging out outside of those pods. I strung up a slot red, but Witt managed a great trout.

I decided to pop out into front bay and wade fish since the winds were so calm. I found pods of mullet out there where they too were occasionally being blown up. Working the front I landed a keeper trout along with some smaller reds and trout. I had a good red blow up on my topwater, but he missed the lure.

Whit paddled out and he hadn't had much luck. We both drifted the outside some without much luck before heading back into Estes. Back on Estes I had drifted over a couple slot reds while piddling with tackle and checking work emails. I stood up and drifted with a DOA shrimp and made a couple well placed casts at some reds but they were skittish. I spoke to Dale and he spent the day sightseeing and checking out launch sites.

I spoke some with Jason and he hadn't had much luck. I tied on a crankbait and started to drift. I missed a nice trout which threw the lure at the kayak. Shortly after I I hooked into something I wasn't quite sure what it was; turned out it was a black drum. My met up with my sister and we decided to pull off the water earlier than everyone else because I had to get back to the cabin and fire out some work emails.

I finished the day with one trout/1 red/1 black drum. DeWitt had 1 23" tout and 1 23" red. William had a keeper trout as well.

A couple of pelicans waiting to take advantage of our small bounty.

That evening the group was starting to feel the effects of all the miles paddling and no one was really in the mood to cook, so we drove down to Schempy's for some fried seafood. Solid, well priced fried seafood and BYOB, so a small tab that evening. By the time we got back to the cabin after dinner around 9 pm I'm not sure a single beer was crack or glass of bourbon was poured. Everyone was in bed early.

Meteorological Observations
Time: 7:00 am - 1:00 pm
Air Temp: 75 F - 80 F
Wind: 2-7 kn ESE - ENE
Barometric Pressure: 1017 mb (slightly rising)
Sky: Sunny
Water Clarity: 3 ft
Water Temp: 82 F
Structure: Grass with Sand Potholes

Solunar
Sunrise/set: 7:24 am/7:08 pm
Moonrise/set: 10:17 pm/11:27 am
Moon Phase: Waning Gibbous (79.2 %)

Predicted Tides @ Port Aransas (MLLW)
Low @ 12:35 pm (0.08 ft)
High @ 10:39 pm (0.97 ft)

Lures
Silver Mullet Spook Jr.
Pink/Chrome Spook Jr.
Chrome/Blue Back Footloose
Dealer's Choice GrassWalker
Tackle Box

Fish
Trout: 3 Keepers, Couple Dinks
Reds: 2 Slotters, Couple Rats
Black Drum: 1 Slotter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Kayaking Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: