Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

East Flats - October 3, 2020

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Kayaking Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neumie
Finger Mullet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject: East Flats - October 3, 2020 Reply with quote

Kicking off the annual Rockport Redfish Roundup my sister, DeWitt and I went to East Flats as it's a confidence location for during the fall. This would be DeWitts first time joining us on this annual trip.

We arrived at the launch site a little after 7 and launched around 7:45.

We paddled out to the first flat and entered through the SE channel. I started with a topwater and my sister was throwing a wakebait. I had a few blow ups on the first drift, with more coming as I approached Pelone Island, so I reset for a drift. After the second drift I started to paddle over some oyster you normally couldn't due to the high tides.

A small school of reds showed themselves, but were up wind and I didn't have my spinning rod set up for this situation. When I finally was in range of throwing a baitcaster into a wind they had gone back under and I couldn't follow them.

I met up with my sister and she did not have much luck either. So I paddled around Pelone Island and fished more open water.

I found my success out here drifting the potholes. Nothing on fire but more solid bites between Spook Jrs. and GrassWalkers. I even a landed a rat red with 16 spots.

I strung up one trout and one red, nothing of size, but good eaters while on this flat. I should have had my limit of trout on Grasswalkers, but I lost quite a few fish at the kayak trying to net them. A little rusty I guess. I pulled off to look for my sister and DeWitt.

Both were over near the lake behind the airport runway, which under more normal tides is a little too shallow to get a kayak too far back into but they were able to paddle most of it. We decided to head in to meet up with the rest of the group who were on their way down.

That evening after everyone had settled in we broke out some bourbon and cigars and enjoyed to awesome fall weather and evening.

Meteorological Observations
Time: 7:45 am - 1:30 pm
Air Temp: 75 F - 80 F
Wind: 5 -10 kn SSE-E (gusting 10+)
Barometric Pressure: 1018 mb (stable)
Sky: Sunny
Water Clarity: 3 ft
Water Temp: 81 F
Structure: Sand & Grass with some scattered oyster

Solunar
Sunrise/set: 7:22 am/7:11 pm
Moonrise/set: 8:32 pm/8:47 am
Moon Phase: Waning Gibbous (96.6 %)

Predicted Tides @ Port Aransas (MLLW)
High @ 3:44 am (0.82 ft)
Low @ 10:39 am (0.34 ft)
High @ 5:07 pm (0.85 ft)

Lures
Silver Mullet Spook Jr.
Pink Hologram GrassWalker
Chrome/Blue Back Footloose
Various Other Lures

Fish
Trout: 1 Keeper, couple undersized
Reds: 1 Keeper, several rats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Kayaking Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: