Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fly fishing for red snapper ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awesum
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Fly fishing for red snapper ... Reply with quote

Anyone here caught a red snapper on a fly? Chumming them up and throwing a Clouser Minnow to them is getting popular with some folks.

I have a vintage Penn International 8 wt. on an Orvis rod and was thinking about stowing it on my next trip.

As for a leader I just thought i'd tie a 4' butt section of 40#, then 3' of 30# and top that off with a 2' section of 20#.

I'm pretty sure a snap over 6 - 7 pounds would beat me up but it would be fun.

Mr. Green
bulldog1935
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, caught suspended snapper at a rig out of Port O'Conner on a guide cutty, opening day, with 2 other friends.
Was fishing a 10-wt with a TS-450 sinking line, and counted down 15-20 seconds before beginning retrieve.
We were bait fishing, eventually fished through our bait, and I got on the bow to try the fly rod - a couple of fly rod snappers and many blues.
The fly was a 2/0 blue hi-tie

It was basically slow-pitch jigging with a fast sinking line.
This wasn't the fly rod snapper, but the trip fish - it was caught on cut bluefish that I, in turn, caught on the fly rod.
He's the deck hand.

You could throw a Teeny TS-350 on your 8-wt.
T-series lines are spliced shooting heads, and with a little practice, easy to shoot out to 100'.
One day in the surf and w/ basket, I was consistently shooting my TS-250 to 140' including 10 yards of backing.

For leaders, I was using a 2-1/2 - 3' 30-lb butt with Allbright knot to equal-length 12-lb braided wire and crimp sleeve on the fly.
If you've never tried titanium wire, it's killer - easy to knot, and stretches before it breaks.
Have also caught kings and smacks bobbing off the SP jatties on the TS-250 with the same leaders.
No photo of the kings (was too tired to lift the camera), but here's me and a fly rod smack.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
awesum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice going! I bet that was a blast Cool
bulldog1935

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as good as fly fishing gets, bro
awesum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this video out ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfP3fXwjCzA
bulldog1935

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep in mind with the TS-350, you can throw weightless flies and fish them any depth, shoot them consistently to 100', and count down to fish them 30' down (and still cast to pelagics and flotsam with the same tackle).
Heavily weighted flies on floating line and long leader is one of those obstinate things. The weight of the fly on the long leader hinges when you try to cast, the fat floating line has air resistance and nebulous feel through the rod.
The only place I fish floating lines are less than knee-deep in the salt, or coldwater trout fishing. The rest of the time I'm fishing a sinking line, and usually a T-series sinker.
awesum

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff. With only an 8 wt I usually don't throw to anything but Smacks and chicken dolphin. I have a fair assortment of flies I think will work for snaps but plan to cruise by Roy's today or tomorrow.
bulldog1935

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, Teeny lines come with a casting video to teach you now to shoot these lines to distance.
Rigging them for the salt, I attach leader butt with a needle-nail knot, but a good double nail knot also works well (T-200 temporarily on a freshwater reel)

In freshwater, I can Zap-splice them, and they glide over rocks for bottom-bouncing (T-130).
but you can't make this joint for saltwater, because the drying salt crust breaks the glue bond
DawnPatrolVeteran
Pony Mullet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a great fly fishing show on Amazon Prime that shows them fly fishing for Red Snapper I believe it was in Florida.

Its just jigging basically and it looks very enjoyable.
AZ_squid
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man a king on the fly would be awesome! I've been trying for a while but haven't been able to hook one off the jetty. My 16' skiff offshore is never gonna happen, haha.
Thanks for the snapper setup lesson!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: