Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

South Bay (AP) - July 19th, 2020

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Kayaking Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neumie
Finger Mullet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: South Bay (AP) - July 19th, 2020 Reply with quote

This Sunday Jim and I met up to fish South Bay and Hog Island area. Forecasts were looking great all weekend and particularly on Sunday.

We launched just before 6:30 and paddled east-ish towards a group of mangrove islands I've been wanting to hit up. On the way there there were big pods of mullet. We worked a few of them over with topwaters and I had a decent red roll on my topwater but missed. Jim had had a few blow ups as well.

We got closer to where I wanted to fish and noticed a lot of nervous water. Jim and I started working this nervous water and we started to get hook ups on smaller reds. By this point we switched over to TS Grasswalkers. I eventually strung up two slotters chasing the various schools of reds and mullets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK1F417ezME

Jim hooked up with a rat red.

After the schools started to break up we worked our way to the mangrove islands I wanted to fish. However, when we arrived we noticed a lot of dead bait fish; mostly pinfish and croaker. I also saw a few dead trout, which concerned us.

We paddled out of that dead water back to where we were catching the reds but at this point the schools were gone and what reds were left were super skiddish. The wind was swinging from the SW through NE as many storms were firing up around and causing the winds to not make up it's mind.

We decided to paddle over towards Hog Island and search for trout. We got tot he point and the winds had gone slack. As we were taking a break waiting for some wind I threw a DSL behind Jim and nailed a solid trout.

A couple of casts later I strung up another trout. The wind decided to start blowing again, this time out of the NE and we started to set up for drifts. I managed to string up two more trout among a handful of dinks. All in all I strung up 4 trout up to 21" and 2 reds up to 23". Unfortunately, Jim did not string up any fish on this trip. I felt a little guilty not discussing tactics earlier in the day. I got tunneled visioned on the schools of reds and didn't do my best helping a fishing friend, my apologies Jim.

Meteorological Observations
Time: 6:30 am - 11:30 am
Air Temp: 79 - 82 deg F
Wind: 0-10 kn swinging from SW through NE
Barometric Pressure: 1014 mb (rising)
Sky: Cloudy giving way to sunny skies
Water Clarity: 0-2 feet
Water Temp: 82 deg F
Structure: Sand & Grass

Solunar
Sunrise/set: 6:44 am/8:24 pm
Moonrise/set: 5:32 am/7:52 pm
Moon Phase: Waning Crescent (2.8%)

Predicted Tides @ Port Aransas (MLLW)
High @ 8:34 am (1.15 ft)
Lo @ 9:20 pm (-0.22 ft)

Lures
Silver Mullet Spook Jr.
Blue Chrome Spook Jr.
Bone Diamond TS Grasswalker
Birthday Suit TS Grasswalker
Plum Chartreuse DSL on 1/16 oz jighead
Victorious Secret DSL on 1/16 oz jighead

Fish
Trout: 4 Keepers, 8 undersized
Reds: 2 Keepers, 10 rats

bulldog1935
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great report Josh, great haul, and thanks for the excellent photos

Back to edit after a week - what a tough audience to not laud both Neumie's outing and his great fishing report effort.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Kayaking Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: