Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The good ol' days.......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Kayaking Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CopanoCruisin
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: The good ol' days....... Reply with quote

I can remember the days of Jerry B's kayak shop. We once had a TKF -vs- Corpus Fishing tourney to benifit the food bank. What a blast! Jerry B and Debbie and others went all out. Great commradieship for a great cause. .......cC
bulldog1935

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Carlisle kid's paddle at Jerry B's when we forgot one at home.

then later sold that on TKF and gave the better A/T kids paddle to my buddy for his daughter.

Also bought a dashboard bar at Jerry B's, first used in my T160 sternwell to make a cockpit for my 9-y-o daughter to tandem -
- worked out really well - she learned how to paddle without me saying a word

then on her Redfish 10

I've since put permanent rigging on her Redfish, and stole the dashboard for rigging on my Kestrel

there are some other good old day factors related to kayak shops.
Used to go into ACK, chat with any of their knowledgeable people about rigging, he'd go to the back and hand you whatever hardware you needed gratis.
Now they're staffed with 20-somethings who want to sell you something and boats come all rigged, right?
They also used to ship anywhere in Texas overnight by Fed-Ex ground, now they use Surepost and it takes a week.
I can't believe they're saving money with what they lose in customer relations.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
TexasJim
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, bulldog: After ACK merged with Summit Sports, they became a "marketing" company, rather than a watersports supplier. Similar to when Academy was overtaken by the holding company that ran Toys'R'Us into bankruptcy. We all miss the Mom n Pop stores, but they're history. And they blame their demise on the Internet!
TexasJim
bd0202
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice rig! I love you even put in a compass. Great idea.
bulldog1935

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, when I lived in Austin, used to visit the very first Academy store, under the 35 upper deck at 45th street - it was Army Surplus then, with an isle of cheap fishing tackle.
Of course Austin was a sleepy college town then, a decade before the California invasion.

bd0202 wrote:
Nice rig! I love you even put in a compass. Great idea.

thanks, some things are easy to navigate
the 100-yr cut is about 2 degrees S of sunrise.

but we're not always paddling straight into the sun, straight into the wind, or to a sharp point.
I have Steiner binoculars with compass, can sight-up my far off heading, then easily follow it on the deck compass
I'm not much of a GPS guy, even though I have one - I've always navigated with charts and compass, taught my daughter, as well.
Best example I can think up, one day we crossed LHL to Lydia Ann beach - sight-fished fly rod jacks from the beach.
It was a glorious paddle.
There are a couple of zig-zags you have to make to cross LHL - can see the cuts and trail markers in the binoculars, and paddle on a heading until you get there.
The other choice is use LHL trail marker waypoints in your GPS.

speaking of GPS, check out what Josh, Neumie can do with one - a morning's trail including multiple fishy drifts on Estes.

bd0202 wrote:
I'm actually glad you guys are coming over here. I've been considering a yak for a minute; a good in between step before I can buy a boat. Learning how to customize and load them out will help tremendously.

planning to buy a kayak, you'll probably have to make a choice between traveling distance and wind, and standing - they tend to be very different boat designs.
Josh has also done a great spreadsheet of every kayak on the current market, and maybe he'll move that tutorial over here, as well.
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=251044
You can also get great buys on great older kayaks, i.e., craigslist - polyethylene is here to stay.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Neumie
Finger Mullet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The good ol' days....... Reply with quote

CopanoCruisin wrote:
I can remember the days of Jerry B's kayak shop. We once had a TKF -vs- Corpus Fishing tourney to benifit the food bank. What a blast! Jerry B and Debbie and others went all out. Great commradieship for a great cause. .......cC

Those were fun days, CCTKF vs Team OSO. I spent a lot time helping them at the shop and rigged many kayaks there until I graduated college the summer of '08. I still drop by their embroidery shop when I'm in town to say hello.
CopanoCruisin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are absolutely correct Neumie, it was Team Oso instead of Corpus Fishing. It was still a blast and lots of good fishing folks. Oh well, see how you are going to get,when you get old! LOL..........cC
Tombo
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team OSO is back in business. Maybe just for fun could meet and greet.
Tombo
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russel Bradley used to help at Jerry B's. Me, bought a Native Mariner and Ultimate from there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Kayaking Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: